Alexis Sanchez

JamDav1982

Tello is not a better player than Alexis and that includes last season.

Alexis stats outwith the big teams beats Tello and that why he was chosen for those games.

Galning

I don't need to see your stats. They're probably made up again.
What I've seen this season from both Tello & Alexis is enough for me to conclude that Tello has done better than Alexis.

JamDav1982

What I've seen this season from both Tello & Alexis is enough for me to conclude that Tello has done better than Alexis.

Made up stats?

From what I have seen Sanchez is the better player.

Stric

+1

Sanchez is chosen against the big teams because the management sees him as a big name signing, and Tello as a youth product. They've shown repeatedly that they don't care about current form or level in general, but rather names and reputation.

JamDav1982

I'm not talking about being a better player, I'm talking about who had a better season.

I dont think either were of the standard Barcelona should be looking for.

In my opinion - which is all it is clearly - Tello needs open games to be effective and doesnt have the workrate of Sanchez.

Tello for me on here is the most over rated player in the squad.

People basing his ability on what they think he could so rather than what he has ever shown against the better defences.

+1

Sanchez is chosen against the big teams because the management sees him as a big name signing, and Tello as a youth product. They've shown repeatedly that they don't care about current form or level in general, but rather names and reputation.

Do you not think the fact that he scores and sets up more against the rest of the sides compared to Tello makes a difference?

Genuine question.

Stric

Do you not think the fact that he scores and sets up more against the rest of the sides compared to Tello makes a difference?

Genuine question.

They haven't played the same amount of minutes in the same position against the same teams. It's impossible to make a precise comparison. I do, however, think that if we were to swap the two, that is, if Tello played on each occasion Sanchez has, and vice-versa, Tello would have the better stats, especially in terms of scoring.

JamDav1982

They haven't played the same amount of minutes in the same position against the same teams. It's impossible to make a precise comparison. I do, however, think that if we were to swap the two, that is, if Tello played on each occasion Sanchez has, and vice-versa, Tello would have the better stats, especially in terms of scoring.

Of course they have not played exactly the same teams but if you dont include the top sides - Real Madrid and CL knockout then Sanchez does have the better stats.

That is as close a comparison as you will get to them against the same opposition surely?

Of course its not 100% certain but is based more than on opinion.

Stric

Of course they have not played exactly the same teams but if you dont include the top sides - Real Madrid and CL knockout then Sanchez does have the better stats.

That is as close a comparison as you will get to them against the same opposition surely?

Of course its not 100% certain but is based more than on opinion.

OK, so presuming that the stats on whoscored.com are correct, and excluding the games against Real Madrid, PSG and Bayern, their stats are the following (I hope I haven't miscalculated anything):

Tello: 1386 minutes, 5 assists, 8 goals
Sanchez: 2069 minutes, 11 assists, 10 goals

...which makes for an average of 277 minutes for an assist and 173 minutes for a goal for Tello, and 188 minutes for an assist and 206 minutes for a goal for Sanchez. There you go.

First of all, stats are just stats and can be very misleading. As far as I'm concerned, Tello has been the better player just by observing both of them throughout the season. But if you insist on basing your argument on stats, fine. Judging by those average stats, your claim that Sanchez has the better stats is not entirely true. He only has the better assist stats. We might also take into consideration the fact that Alexis plays in the starting 11 more often than Tello, so it's easier for Alexis to score or assist if he's surrounded by better teammates. But while we're at it, a forward's primary job is to score, and Tello is much better than Alexis at that.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

OK, so presuming that the stats on whoscored.com are correct, and excluding the games against Real Madrid, PSG and Bayern, their stats are the following (I hope I haven't miscalculated anything):

Tello: 1386 minutes, 5 assists, 8 goals
Sanchez: 2069 minutes, 11 assists, 10 goals

...which makes for an average of 277 minutes for an assist and 173 minutes for a goal for Tello, and 188 minutes for an assist and 206 minutes for a goal for Sanchez. There you go.

First of all, stats are just stats and can be very misleading. As far as I'm concerned, Tello has been the better player just by observing both of them throughout the season. But if you insist on basing your argument on stats, fine. Judging by those average stats, your claim that Sanchez has the better stats is not entirely true. He only has the better assist stats. We might also take into consideration the fact that Alexis plays in the starting 11 more often than Tello, so it's easier for Alexis to score or assist if he's surrounded by better teammates. But while we're at it, a forward's primary job is to score, and Tello is much better than Alexis at that.

Alexis got 11 goals and 13 assists.

Also they met AC Milan in the knockout stages.

Mr Hulot

Stats have no place in a football discussion in my opinion. For example Thiago has 0 goals and 0 assist in the current U-21 tournament, but he is also, if not the best, the second best performer of the team. If you only care about goals and assists you should only watch the highlights and not the full games...

JamDav1982

Stats have no place in a football discussion in my opinion. For example Thiago has 0 goals and 0 assist in the current U-21 tournament, but he is also, if not the best, the second best performer of the team. If you only care about goals and assists you should only watch the highlights and not the full games...

Like it or not stats are what forward players are judged on.

It doesnt tell the full story but stats are important.

Stric

If we're talking about forwards, though, goals are quite important.

Home of Barca Fans