Alexis Sanchez

tello

He is intimidated by Messi, think about it.
How many times was he in a shooting position yet decided to let Messi take care of the chance by passing it, passing it rather than take initative and dribble.
Sometimes he tries, fails and then will continue to stick to passing the ball quickly.
His best games last season were when Messi wasnt playing, then all of a sudden he isnt missing one on ones constantly and tries way more things.

Pedro often is like this as well, thats why he scores more for Spain than Barca, Affelay before his injury did the same, being intimidated and just happy with a completed pass, a month later he was bossing it with great actions with the Dutch national team.
The only one who actually isnt intimidated in attack is Tello (Villa wasnt either).

you see it in the national team as well, Higuain gives Messi passes I have never seen him give to Cristiano, Aguero or Di Maria don't do this.
I think Neymar won't either cause he has a lot of confidence in his own abilities.
Its not Messi's fault of course, unlike what Marca likes us to believe he isnt demanding that everyone pass the ball to him.
Its just that he actually is a jugadorazo and a very safe choice for finishing chances when you are low on confidence and/or intimidated.

So true !:worthy:

tello

Sanchez seems incredibly lucky not being sold till now and at the moment Tata doesn't seem to consider this option either.

Under normal circumstances he could not have resisted more than one - one and a half seasons at Barca but here we have him for at least one new season yet again...

:facepalm:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Sanchez seems incredibly lucky not being sold till now and at the moment Tata doesn't seem to consider this option either.

Under normal circumstances he could not have resisted more than one - one and a half seasons at Barca but here we have him for at least one new season yet again...

Why do we need to sell him?

Trickykid

Nice try, Tello.

tello

Why do we need to sell him?

- he didn't meet the expectiations at all, never or probably only by scoring two times against R$al but that's way too little for a two seasoned 37 million player
- there is also Pedro who can do the job at least as good as Alexis but being a cantera and not costing the club tens of millions
- the money we get from Sanchez can get us a good CB or a new forward and both are vital for the club right now imo.
- the guy is nice but he is no way under no circumstances Barcelona material and he proved it hard for TWO gruelling seasons and he is preparing for at least a new season as far as I read, Tata seems to also give credit to the guy like Pep and Tito excessively did...

Last edited:

CatalinR10

- he didn't meet the expectiations at all, never or probably only by scoring two times against R$al but that's way too little for a two seasoned 37 million player
- there is also Pedro who can do the job at least as good as Alexis but being a cantera and not costing the club tens of millions
- the money we get from Sanchez can get us a good CB or a new forward and both are vital for the club right now imo.
- the guy is nice but he is no way under no circumstances Barcelona material and he proved it hard for TWO gruelling seasons and he is preparing for at least a new season as far as I read, Tata seems to also give credit to the guy like Pep and Tito excessively did...

+ infinity

Trickykid

- I agree, he hasn't met expectations yet, only in glimpses.
- No, Pedro has arguably been worse than Alexis, and their form trajectories have been vastly different, with Alexis clearly having the upper hand during the end of last season.
- We don't need to sell, as the club has already stated numerous times, that we have enough funds for a high profile signing as it is.
- So, Pep, Tito and now Tata seems to see something in Alexis that you don't? Well, shoot...

tello

- I agree, he hasn't met expectations yet, only in glimpses.

Yet ?! Do you really think every Barcelona player that plays pure shit for two consecutive seasons should be given even more time to demonstrate how weak a player can be in the Barcelona shirt ?!

- No, Pedro has arguably been worse than Alexis, and their form trajectories have been vastly different, with Alexis clearly having the upper hand during the end of last season.

Pedro has never ever been worse than Alexis and you seem to completely forget the form Pedro showed in the start of the 2012-2013 season, when it mattered or the crucial goals that he uses to score when the team needs him the most.
You probably consider those few acceptable performances from Alexis from after the league was mathematically won represent a superior performance to Alexis compared to what Pedro did and is capable of but you wouldn't be the only one, that's for sure !
I'm not saying Pedro is a brilliant attacker but he is unarguably better than Alexis at any given time !

- We don't need to sell, as the club has already stated numerous times, that we have enough funds for a high profile signing as it is.

Well, the club probably only considered signing a CB at this point when in fact the club truly needs two of them plus one attacker to compensate that fact that Alexis is dead on the pitch except his permanent running which is the only true good and constant thing that can be seen on Alexis nowadays.

- So, Pep, Tito and now Tata seems to see something in Alexis that you don't? Well, shoot...

No, Pep needed to play the first season of the player whom he and the management have bought and it was the first season for Alexis and was the correct decision to play him.
Then came Tito who didn't have the authority of Pep and played the guy too even when it was obvious Alexis wasn't performing at all and at no point of his career at Barca.
Now Tata has come and he too might be tempted to try to resuscitate the south american born player. I think he will suffer the consequences too unless a miracle will occur ! That is why I consider Alexis very lucky with this conjucture of remaining at Barca for so much inspite the total lack of performances ( at least for the last season) !
Thus it is not a matter of what they saw and what I see !

Last edited:

ss81bja

I can't understand how people can be satisfied with Alexis returns especially considering the MONEY spent on him ( match winning assists???? COME ON!!!) Two seasons at barca and we are seeing GLIMPSES of brilliance???? and then want to compare him to Pedro (no money spent). Alexis was bought as a reasonable alternative to help score goals as a forward/winger. Balls were PASSED to him, Messi or Villa to try to put the ball in the net and to create goal scoring chances, not for him to pass off to other players if he is in the best goal scoring position. If Alexis is "nervous" when Messi is on the field then he shouldn't be playing in any top team (it is really a poor excuse) .Along with our defensive problems Barca was seen last season as having problems when scoring against the stronger teams in Europe when Messi isn't on the field. As i see it we are going to have that same problem again. It looks unlikely this season but if the budget allows and even though we have Neymar we should still get a proper CF or goal scoring attacking midfielder who can shoot from outside the box.
Look at Villa, it was unfortunate that such a good forward lost his form but he was sold and below market value at that. The reason that Alexis isn't sold is that there are no reasonable offers. Alexis was bought as a STARTING forward and this season MUST do more goal scoring. Barca's front line really doesn't look encouraging when Messi is not playing. It is a far cry from 4-5 years ago when we had 3 world class forwards.

CesDel

Pedro has, unarguably, been worse than Alexis since the latter came to Barça. He was only better at the start of the last season, but after the first few games he became invisible. The only reason why there are some that prefers Pedro to Alexis is because of what he was 2 years ago and not what he is today..

Compared to the 2 millions that Villa was sold for, the 20m that napoli is offering for Alexis is more than reasonable enough. So don't say that Alexis isn't sold because there are no reasonable offers. Oh and if Alexis was bought to score goals, then obviously our managers and scouts are complete useless and they should all be fired, if they haven't already been fired, seeing as Sanchez has ALWAYS been a lousy finisher.

Last edited:

CesDel

Yeah, so I read this, and realized it's pointless to argue with the biased crap you spew.

Wasn' t Dinho sold because he was bad for 2 consecutive seasons, even though he was much, MUCH better for Barça than Pedro ever was?

Even his 2 bad season were far superior to Pedro's last 2 seasons..

ss81bja

The 20m offer for Alexis is just an unconfirmed rumor for now and Napoli has some money to splash around. Alexis showed some class in Serie A in Udinese with di Natale and he was becoming more prolific at scoring goals so at THAT POINT IN TIME he was seen as a reasonable purchase given our BUDGET and the alternatives available when we were looking for a STARTING forward. If he was not bought to score goals then what was his PURPOSE.
He wears the # 9 shirt worn by STARTING STRIKERS\FORWARDS\WINGERS. He is not a midfielder or defender. The comparisons with Pedro are unfair because Pedro was not "bought" per se to START. Pedro is a graduate that was only promoted to "START" when problems started to arise with our forward line. When Pedro became a "regular" starter it was only Messi and Villa at front and we play with 3 forwards( 1 CF or false 9 + two wingers). Pedro was seen as an inexperienced "temporary" fix and really Alexis was bought as the STARTER so that Pedro would be the BENCH player until he was "experienced" It is only because Pedro "overachieved" in his temporary role that he starts regularly now. The fact that we compare Pedro and Alexis and that Alexis is not a regular starter indicates that management has now "demoted" Alexis. Also Pedro is not a winger (doesn't have the dribbling skills) and is more a CF hence he is played out of position most of the time. He only plays outside because of Messi. Alexis has dribbling skills and can play on the wing.
I hope people are not confused buy the Alexis purchase by comparing it to an Afellay purchase or the other "minimal" purchases we often do. The purchase price indicates that he was bought to START. Better forwards have come and gone in Barca and after 2 seasons Alexis returns are BELOW PAR relative to PURCHASE price. If Neymar after 2 seasons had these stats then people will also call for Neymar's head (even though this is his first time in European leagues).
To be fair to Alexis and in hindsight i think too much money was spent on him relative to his abilties. He is probably good enough to be a squad player but he was not bought for that purpose. I would not blame management too much because it was a reasonable gamble at the time, more reasonable than the Neymar gamble right now. It is one of those buys that has not worked out as intended.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent

tumblr_mnlv0oHOp81rf5vsao1_400.gif

Home of Barca Fans