Alexis Sanchez

pEllee

Ibrahimovic moved to Juve in 2004-2005 and he became right away the team's leading goal scorer. That's a natural goal scorer right there IMO.

Well, when people describe natural goal scorers they usually refer to the kind of players that always knew how to move and when to move. And players who always were composed in front of goal.

That's not Ibra. He's been taught how to move, that's not something he always knew how to do. And he was a pretty average finisher back then.

If Alexis suddenly becomes a consistent goalscorer, would you still not refer to him as a natural goal scorer? If not, you really shouldn't call Ibra a natural.

serghei

Well, when people describe natural goal scorers they usually refer to the kind of players that always knew how to move and when to move. And players who always were composed in front of goal.

That's not Ibra. He's been taught how to move, that's not something he always knew how to do. And he was a pretty average finisher back then.

If Alexis suddenly becomes a consistent goalscorer, would you still not refer to him as a natural goal scorer? If not, you really shouldn't call Ibra a natural.

As I said, in his first season in Italy, he scored 16 goals, with 1 less than Shevchenko. He was 23 at the time, which is still very young for a striker, that's not average for me.

Kragod

Ronaldo, Messi, Ibrahimovic, Cavani, Falcao, Eto'o (circa '05-'09), Van Persie, Shevchenko, Crespo, Inzaghi, Vieri, Henry (mostly during '00-'05), Ruud van Nistelrooy etc. Natural goal scorers are "end of the line" players with an acute sense of goal. Almost all of them are classic, often selfish, strikers.

Alexis Sanchez is not that kind of player. He is hard-worker with buckets of talent, great speed, and flare to spare. That doesn't mean he can't score goals. This whole discussion is about his identity as a player, not about his performances.

Another way to spot a natural goal scorer is to look at penalty-takers. Almost all natural finishers were great at scoring from penalty kicks and all of them make scoring goals seem like a walk in the park when it clearly isn't.

And yet nobody mentions the best natural goalscorer, Ronaldo Luis Nazario Da Lima?

serghei

And yet nobody mentions the best natural goalscorer, Ronaldo Luis Nazario Da Lima?

:) And how do you know the Ronaldo from my own post doesn't stand for the brasilian player? I usually say Cristiano Ronaldo when I'm refering to the portuguese.

Last edited:

PacoBJuarez

Regardless of the "natural goalscorer" talk, there's no question that he has stepped up this season. I'm not sure whether it's the arrival of Neymar, or chemistry with Tata, but Alexis has demonstrated that he's definitely deserving of the RW spot. There are few players in the world I'd rather have starting there over him, and I would hope he's finally put to bed the argument over whether he's better than Pedro.

kollegah

lol @ huntelaar and pedro being natural goalscorers hahaa

neither pedro nor huntelaar would have had scored 1 one alexis last goals

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Ruud van Nistelrooy and Gabriel Batistuta come to mind as natural goal scorers... Certainly not Alexis, who is totally different kind of beast...

The Observer

Natural goalscorer or not. His first touch lets him down way too much for my liking. This shouldn't happen every game.

avum76pw.gif

oyvw54qm.gif

Couple this with his inability to dribble past defenders and his goals really overshadow his overall performances. Or am I too harsh?

xemioz

Natural goalscorer or not. His first touch lets him down way too much for my liking. This shouldn't happen every game.

Couple this with his inability to dribble past defenders and his goals really overshadow his overall performances. Or am I too harsh?

A little harsh, especially on the second one. Yes, his touch is a little lacking at times, but his performances in general are decent. I feel that we've become so accustomed to perfect touch from players like Iniesta, Xavi and Messi that we criticize players like Sanchez who are pretty damn good but aren't on the same level.

Last edited:

serghei

avum76pw.gif

oyvw54qm.gif

I can show you clips or gifs where his first touch is out of this world. For every clumsy touch there is at least a brilliant one. You need to see the big picture here, and that big picture seems to show that, so far this season, Alexis has been quintessential for Barcelona and his national team. The rest is opened for interpretation, but his performances were often world class this season and that is a fact.

Alexis has south-american unpredictability and wildness. That often works to his advantage, but sometimes it looks like, somehow, he has learned to do only the hardest things in football - like a perfect chip or a cascade of dribblings -, and forgot to learn the easy, routine, stuff. He has some hiccups in his play, but, when you look at how much he brings to the team, the hiccups don't really matter that much. In time, once he will become more mature and less of a Niño Maravilla, he will lose some of the things that define him as a player. He will have less bad touches, but less brilliant executions too - because both the genius and the crazy misses come from the same young part of him. But, right now, were talking about the yin and yang of Alexis - with the very important amendament that the yang (good part) is overshadowing the yin (bad part) and certainly not the other way around. You don't cherry pick what you like and don't like in a player, but rather appreciate the package or you don't. Right now, I think we need Alexis Sanchez more than Alexis Sanchez needs us. He could play even better in other teams, due to the fact that his style is not really tailor made for Barcelona, but I'm very happy with his overall performance so far this season.

"This shouldn't happen every game" - and this is a clear and biased exaggeration from my point of view. His bad moments this season were sporadical and pretty much irrelevant, certainly not present in every game as you suggest. Neymar had some bad executions too this season, but few bring that up and the reason is simple. When compared with the good things Neymar brings to our game, the bad misses and clumsy executions don't matter. This is also the case of Alexis.

Last edited:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I can show you clips or gifs where his first touch is out of this world. For every clumsy touch there is at least a brilliant one. You need to see the big picture here, and that big picture seems to show that, so far this season, Alexis has been quintessential for Barcelona and his national team. The rest is opened for interpretation, but his performances were often world class this season and that is a fact.

Alexis has south-american unpredictability and wildness. That often works to his advantage, but sometimes it looks like, somehow, he has learned to do only the hardest things in football - like a perfect chip or a cascade of dribblings -, and forgot to learn the easy, routine, stuff. He has some hiccups in his play, but, when you look at how much he brings to the team, the hiccups don't really matter that much. In time, once he will become more mature and less of a Niño Maravilla, he will lose some of the things that define him as a player. He will have less bad touches, but less brilliant executions too - because both the genius and the crazy misses come from the same young part of him. But, right now, were talking about the yin and yang of Alexis - with the very important amendament that the yang (good part) is overshadowing the yin (bad part) and certainly not the other way around. You don't cherry pick what you like and don't like in a player, but rather appreciate the package or you don't. Right now, I think we need Alexis Sanchez more than Alexis Sanchez needs us. He could play even better in other teams, due to the fact that his style is not really tailor made for Barcelona, but I'm very happy with his overall performance so far this season.

"This shouldn't happen every game" - and this is a clear and biased exaggeration from my point of view. His bad moments this season were sporadical and pretty much irrelevant, certainly not present in every game as you suggest. Neymar had some bad executions too this season, but few bring that up and the reason is simple. When compared with the good things Neymar brings to our game, the bad misses and clumsy executions don't matter. This is also the case of Alexis.
brilliant post

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Yeah I would concur with the sentiment that he could/would be a bigger talent at another club although I do think he's become even more important to the NT as the result of his team play with Barcelona

Home of Barca Fans