Andrés Iniesta

F

Flavia

Iniesta's renewal could be announced tomorrow. The deal was closed during a dinner on Monday in which the player took part. [rac1]

:dance:

CatalinR10

Iniesta's renewal could be announced tomorrow. The deal was closed during a dinner on Monday in which the player took part. [rac1]

BerkeleyBernie

Are you saying he can't show his best with neymar there?

To a degree, at this point, yes. You may see some good balls in to Neymar behind defenders from Iniesta, but Neymar's touch and 1-touch passing aren't yet up to snuff for the close quick inside passing combinations that Iniesta works.

I haven't had a problem with Neymar trying (and failing) at his take-ons from out on the left touchline while Messi has been out, but I hope he becomes more conservative once the team is back full strength. Every failed take-on turnover there leaves Barça one possession less to work a goal left side with Messi-Iniesta-Xavi-Alba. Even if Neymar manages to break past, he's usually at full pace and doesn't have enough control of the ball to get off an accurate short pass, which pretty much takes Iniesta out of the picture.

If Neymar is to fit well with Barça (and complement Iniesta), it's those La Masia rondo 1-touch passing skills he needs to perfect. Sanchez has improved immensely this year, no reason Neymar can't as well.

Elite-BkD

Are you saying he can't show his best with neymar there?

Not necessarily. I like his response^ and would also add that what Iniesta is asked to provide for the team is different now with a player like Neymar playing as LWF. That's the major difference between Iniesta and so many other 'star players' in the world - he's happy to offer a much less glamorous shift for the benefit of the team. If you imagine that his goal is to go out there and go around players as many times as possible, then of course it'll appear as though he's ineffective when he does nothing of the sort.
I would say the so called 'massive decline' is largely imaginary, and that he's still been brilliant for most of the season.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Not necessarily. I like his response^ and would also add that what Iniesta is asked to provide for the team is different now with a player like Neymar playing as LWF. That's the major difference between Iniesta and so many other 'star players' in the world - he's happy to offer a much less glamorous shift for the benefit of the team. If you imagine that his goal is to go out there and go around players as many times as possible, then of course it'll appear as though he's ineffective when he does nothing of the sort.
I would say the so called 'massive decline' is largely imaginary, and that he's still been brilliant for most of the season.

While I mostly agree with your analysis, I have to add that neither me, or many others for that matter, has said that Iniesta is/was in a 'massive decline'. What I said was that he looks ordinary (but still top 10 CM/AM), but not Iniesta-magical - but while I agree with you to some extent that he won't have that role with Neymar on LW and therefor not 'show' his talents in the same way, he still has a little to improve to reach his higher level.

DinhoR10

I think its just been getting used to each other, the last time we had a dynamic LW was ronaldinho till neymar we've had a bunch of CFs playing there, so i think they just need time to jell. I think a big problem was that until recently neymar was a touchline hugger and he didn't get as into the dynamic fluid position changing play that iniesta produces.

Elite-BkD

While I mostly agree with your analysis, I have to add that neither me, or many others for that matter, has said that Iniesta is/was in a 'massive decline'. What I said was that he looks ordinary (but still top 10 CM/AM), but not Iniesta-magical - but while I agree with you to some extent that he won't have that role with Neymar on LW and therefor not 'show' his talents in the same way, he still has a little to improve to reach his higher level.

True that wasn't a fair description, but it seems that his reputation has taken a pretty massive - and largely unwarranted - dive lately.
Nevermind top ten, still #1 for me, just a fair bit less exciting/flashy than last season.

Jaguar

Flair Trait
I heard he is renewing today, if so when they clap in training what will they clap for, his renewal or Alexis's birthday :p

Antimadridista1

Good to know that he's finally renewing.
Now we can focus on Bartra, Pique and Montoya.

barcastuff ‏@barcastuff 20 s
Official: There's a deal on the renewal of Barcelona midfielder Andres Iniesta #fcblive

Official: Andres Iniesta (29) will renew until 2018, after which he could renew year by year depending on games played #fcblive

Last edited:
F

Flavia

It's official!!!

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football...ell-announces-new-iniesta-contract-until-2018

640x360_INIESTA_2018.v1387453461.jpg

Renewed until June 2018 :D

Home of Barca Fans