Andrés Iniesta

Caps

BftlB2nCAAAQRSJ.jpg:large

What a beautiful image.

Irish_Cules

Noticed it immediately when he came on, tempo in passing when up a notch and less static play. Not very decisive, but I'd play him in my first XI every time if that were physically possible.

Agreed. He just makes the team look more like Barca. Our link-up play suffers when he isn't on the pitch. I'm expecting Iniesta to really step it up from now until the end of the season.

BerkeleyBernie

Noticed it immediately when he came on, tempo in passing when up a notch and less static play. Not very decisive, but I'd play him in my first XI every time if that were physically possible.

Iniesta, like Messi, is willing to dribble centrally at players from deep, and it does drag players towards him. The key is releasing the ball at the right time to take advantage of any holes in the defensive shape. When both Messi and Iniesta are on the field, any shift by the defense will leave the player without the ball more open. The difference with Iniesta is that he is highly unlikely to put a shot on goal himself.

The same can't be said for the wing players, more a factor of position than their willingness or ability to run at defenders. They are just more isolated, and it is much safer for the defense to shift the outside players against wingers than the inside ones towards attacks up the middle.

CatalinR10

Martino: "Iniesta not playing as much? The normal thing is for him to play. If he doesn't, it's only due to the circumstances." #fcblive

F

forcabarca

Has been excellent so far....in form Andres+ Leo is a lethal combination.

Sent from my Nexus 4

DinhoR10

Iniesta makes the difference, Cesc has some wonderful balls over the top but iniesta just makes the team work. I think Iniesta + Cesc should be given a try more though.

Home of Barca Fans