Andres Iniesta

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Tonight's lack of midfield have more to do with Lucho & his tactics than any individual performance...But for me, the worst midfielder tonight was Rafinha and at least Enrique made the right move in bringing Xavi on instead after 10 minutes into the 2nd half - the difference, apart from the 3 pts he ensured, was massive

Gnidrologist

He plays like shit, because he is put out of his natural position. Much like Rakitic. They both play very deep and close to sidelines. As if we had 3 Biscuits in a line. That is because our forwards don't track back to press enough and our fullbacks bomb forward too much, making both of our central mids being burdened with too much defensive work and pulled in backwards positions. Very stupid imo because at least Alves contributes nothing to offense and is utter stinker as a defender, while Alba, although more useful, could still play more conservatively to allow Iniesta do his magic upfront more. Given that today it was Adriano, who has gotten fat and slow, it was even more defensive work for him.

Given that Rafinha was nowhere to be seen, and despite what delusions some people have, Alves is utter dung offensively, both of our flanks were utterly impotent. Nor Neymar or Messi had anyone to play ball with, which is why there were so many attempts at individual dribbles and opportunistic passes towards Suarez.

anguy

We should think about playing him on wing as Neymar's backup. While it seems counterintuitive to put aging midfielder on wing, his best moments this season came when he played one twos with our forwards near or inside the box. Xavi should take his place, he was much better lately. Iniesta could put pressure on Neymar and he could replace Xavi in some matches, so he will b something like Joker - a sub for 2 positions. Also while he won't score goals with Neymar he'll improve our passing in final third.

Icarium

Lifestealer
ca6eytawuaekdtq.jpg

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
http://grup14.com/article/the-iniesta-problem

Good article on Iniesta's current role. I'd like to see him play closer to goal and centrally as much as any culé, but I don't mind him being hindered by defensive duties if it's for the sake of the team. What I do want to see is Lucho changing it up a little by moving Iniesta closer to goal and use him as an AM, if our attack can't break down the deadlock (against Celta for instance), but as the season has progressed, I doubt it will happen.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
His point might be good, but I just can't stand Lucas Resende's writing style. Most of his articles sound like they've been written by a bitter teenager.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
His point might be good, but I just can't stand Lucas Resende's writing style. Most of his articles sound like they've been written by a bitter teenager.

He gets on my nerves too, but his point in this article is an exception for me.

DinhoR10

So the question becomes how do we move Iniesta into positions to create when no one else can do it while keeping the defensive stability that his current role brings? Maybe if Lucho tried rotating who attacks between alba and iniesta it might change some. When iniesta does end up attacking he's great and were it not for suarez being all never say die he'd have tee'd rakitic up for the first goal in the clasico.

Ursegor

World Champion
The aim of FC Barcelona is to win games, not to maximize Iniesta's individual performances. Why is the 11/12 season even supposed to be the benchmark "how it should be"? At this point in 11/12 Barca were trailing 6 points behind Madrid and bottled the Clasico in Camp Nou shortly before bottling a 2-0 lead against 10 men Chelsea, also in Camp Nou. Where was the "control" there that Lucas is bragging about?

The midfield is not functioning perfectly and has few issues. However that doesn't prove that the system itself is bad. It just means it's time to buy different type of midfielders that fit this system and transition away from the Xaviesta generation. The solution is not to go back to 2011 tactics so 30 year old Iniesta can feel comfortable. This would inevitably create problems in other areas. Less direct, less transitions, more possession, allowing the opponent time to regroup and it will be Neymar and Suarez who won't be comfortable and I'd rather build around these 2 than 30 year old Iniesta. Higher defensive line to push the opponent into their own box and try to dominate the game and we'll again see Pique trying to chase Ronaldo and Bale running at him on the counter from the halfway line.

It's easy to cherrypick all the benefits of the "golden days system" while ignoring all its flaws, especially when not executed to perfection, which is hardly possible anymore for gazillion reasons. Not having a prime Xavi being a major one.

Furthermore Iniesta has regressed regardless of tactics. Period. If these "anti La Masia tactics" were the sole reason for Iniesta's form, explain how Xavi at 35 still looks better than him.

Statements like "our traditional playing style, the one implemented by Johan Cruyff in 1988 has given us (...) four out of four Champions League trophies" also reek of someone who started watching Barca in 2010. Barca's midfield when Rijkaard won the CL consisted of the likes of Motta, Edmilson and van Bommel. Rijkaard's Barca was matching Mourinho's prime Chelsea physically.

G

Gasgas

The aim of FC Barcelona is to win games, not to maximize Iniesta's individual performances. Why is the 11/12 season even supposed to be the benchmark "how it should be"? At this point in 11/12 Barca were trailing 6 points behind Madrid and bottled the Clasico in Camp Nou shortly before bottling a 2-0 lead against 10 men Chelsea, also in Camp Nou. Where was the "control" there that Lucas is bragging about?

The midfield is not functioning perfectly and has few issues. However that doesn't prove that the system itself is bad. It just means it's time to buy different type of midfielders that fit this system and transition away from the Xaviesta generation. The solution is not to go back to 2011 tactics so 30 year old Iniesta can feel comfortable. This would inevitably create problems in other areas. Less direct, less transitions, more possession, allowing the opponent time to regroup and it will be Neymar and Suarez who won't be comfortable and I'd rather build around these 2 than 30 year old Iniesta. Higher defensive line to push the opponent into their own box and try to dominate the game and we'll again see Pique trying to chase Ronaldo and Bale running at him on the counter from the halfway line.

It's easy to cherrypick all the benefits of the "golden days system" while ignoring all its flaws, especially when not executed to perfection, which is hardly possible anymore for gazillion reasons. Not having a prime Xavi being a major one.

Furthermore Iniesta has regressed regardless of tactics. Period. If these "anti La Masia tactics" were the sole reason for Iniesta's form, explain how Xavi at 35 still looks better than him.

Statements like "our traditional playing style, the one implemented by Johan Cruyff in 1988 has given us (...) four out of four Champions League trophies" also reek of someone who started watching Barca in 2010. Barca's midfield when Rijkaard won the CL consisted of the likes of Motta, Edmilson and van Bommel. Rijkaard's Barca was matching Mourinho's prime Chelsea physically.

:worthy:

Your high level of intelligence in these matters surprises me. I'd be okay reading your posts even if they were a page long.

Great job :hooray:

F

Flavia

:goodpost:

Ursegor nailed it again. Iniesta has played deeper before too, he also started as a dm. He should be doing better, even without the assists or goals. Those were never his biggest strenghts, anyway.

Home of Barca Fans