Andy Carroll

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I understand that it's always important to look beyond statistics. Statistics don't compensate for direct viewing of a player in the same way as it does in other sports. I'd love to dig up a few classic matches and watch players like Cantona. Some players you have to just watch to truly appreciate their quality, Zidane is the one that always springs to mind with this. I often think to myself do we overrate him because of his aura, then I'll watch some old footage and realise what a fool I was for just considering the thought.

Zidane and Cantona were very very similar players, except Cantona was a forward, and he was consistent. Zidane had more skill, though.

like I said, though, I put Cantona in my team for his awesome as much as anything else.

Sewelly

Shearer rejected United for his hometown club. Hero.

I know you're a City fan so there may be some bias in this comment, but you're right. I mean, if we'd been a midtable club at the time there would have been next to no chance of him making that decision. But still, decisions like that should be lauded in football rather than criticised. I know I'd do the same thing in that position, without a doubt.

He says he doesn't regret it too. People will doubt him, but I honestly don't think he does.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I hate the idea that because Shearer never played for a top club it can be used as a stick to beat him with, too, btw. It's the way of modern football fans though that every single good player should always, without fail, end up at a select few clubs. I really hate this attitude. As soon as any player starts playing well instantly it's about how quickly he can move to a bigger club, even if the club he's at is a great club with history. Straying away from the Shearer argument a bit but I think it's relevant.

it's kinda relevant. but not really. Blackburn and Newcastle were top clubs (or on the verge of being top clubs) when he joined them. neither were classically "big" clubs, sure, but at the time he signed they were right up there. of course Newcastle fell away from contenders to also-rans a couple of years after he signed. and he rejected United to go there. which is where all the big club talk comes from.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I know you're a City fan so there may be some bias in this comment, but you're right. I mean, if we'd been a midtable club at the time there would have been next to no chance of him making that decision. But still, decisions like that should be lauded in football rather than criticised. I know I'd do the same thing in that position, without a doubt.

He says he doesn't regret it too. People will doubt him, but I honestly don't think he does.

I was always more impressed that he stayed with Newcastle, tbh.

when he joined, they were right up there. it was that he stayed even after it became clear that he wasn't gonna win a damn thing which impressed me.

I always wondered, though. would he have moved if he hadn't had such an injury-ravaged 00/01?

Hatem Ben Arfa

I just want to point out how stupid it is so others don't get sucked into believing the hype about an overrated goalscorer.

Shearer?

I find that hard to swallow.

Shearer was a better Striker than Wayne Rooney period for me.

Speaking of over rated, I'm sure you have heard that word used in the same sentence as Wayne Rooney before. I am of the opinion that he is overhyped by the British media, and has been since day one e.g. the second coming of Gazza, his nick name is Wazza etc. etc. It was only 09/10 season that all they hype started to have some substance to it.

Gazza p!$$es all over Wayne Rooney in my opinion. Gazza is like 10x > Rooney. That is just my opinion. And if anyone goes on about how it was the 80's like they did to belittle Shearer saying it was the 90's, I unequivocally disagree with them.

Last edited:

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Zidane and Cantona were very very similar players, except Cantona was a forward, and he was consistent. Zidane had more skill, though.

like I said, though, I put Cantona in my team for his awesome as much as anything else.

You whole campaign of proving Zidane being inconsistent is not only boring, its wrong and it a black mark in your judgment credibility. Stop with it because you are being to get annoying. Not to mention, Iniesta's CV speaks for itself, you don't need to discredit Zidane.

He was as consistent as they come, he was more skillful on the ball than any of your Barcelona midfielders. He dominated two leagues and the champions league. His only downfall is he did not score much.

Jenks

Back-to-back hat-tricks. Shearer never did that...

trollfaceos.png

W

Worms

You whole campaign of proving Zidane being inconsistent is not only boring, its wrong and it a black mark in your judgment credibility. Stop with it because you are being to get annoying. Not to mention, Iniesta's CV speaks for itself, you don't need to discredit Zidane.

He was as consistent as they come, he was more skillful on the ball than any of your Barcelona midfielders. He dominated two leagues and the champions league. His only downfall is he did not score much.

To be fair Zidane was inconsistent for Juve and Real,week in week out I would much rather have Xavi or even Iniesta.

Home of Barca Fans