Andy Carroll

Sewelly

I am a newcaslte fan that watched him play 90 mins every week last season before he left for Liverpool.

Those of you writing him off will all be eating humble pie.

He is the best English CF since Shearer. He is the best in aerially in the WORLD, and he scores goals with his feet, inside or outside the box. He is deceptively fast becauise of his lanky legs which make him look slow. His hold up play is the best around in the Premier League, and defensively he is a managers dream, he wins almost every opposition corner kick into the box. I promise you, when he is fully concentrated on football and has a calm private life, he will easily score 20+ goals a season.

Sorry, Carroll's PL performances for us were great...but he'll never even be 25% of the player Shearer was. Shearer was superior to Carroll is absolutely every department. Better finisher, better in the air, better footballing brain, better movement, better on the ball, better link up player, could take set-pieces... Shearer was the perfect centre forward. Infact, comparing Carroll to Shearer is a borderline insult.

Carroll is a good player and better than he's displaying at the moment but he'll never be anything more. He seems a bit of a misfit tactically in Liverpool's style of play at the moment. It has nothing to do with his lifestyle, which is no better than it was when he was here.

I'm going to give it a while to see how he does for Liverpool but he'll probably never be a £35 million player.

Hatem Ben Arfa

Sorry, Carroll's PL performances for us were great...but he'll never even be 25% of the player Shearer was. Shearer was superior to Carroll is absolutely every department. Better finisher, better in the air, better footballing brain, better movement, better on the ball, better link up player, could take set-pieces... Shearer was the perfect centre forward. Infact, comparing Carroll to Shearer is a borderline insult.

Carroll is a good player and better than he's displaying at the moment but he'll never be anything more. He seems a bit of a misfit tactically in Liverpool's style of play at the moment. It has nothing to do with his lifestyle, which is no better than it was when he was here.

I'm going to give it a while to see how he does for Liverpool but he'll probably never be a £35 million player.

I never said he's better than Shearer. Read what I said again.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Hahahhahah

Best CF? Rooney..

Dzeko and Llorente are MUCH better.

You're so deluded..

Hhahahaha

Just, wow..

Oh, and Bent's better than Carroll. :)

while Rooney is a better striker than Shearer ever was, and while Dzeko and Llorente are better right now, HBA is right about Carroll's potential for beastiality.

(;))

he's only right because of his hysterical bias, but he's right.

shame he's at a team like Liverpool. both because I hate them, but also because they're set-up to play fast free-flowing stuff on the deck with Suarez running the show.

Hatem Ben Arfa

You indirectly compared the two, regardless. Carroll is a decent -> good PL player, Shearer was world class.

Which English CF do you think is the best since Shearer then?

And no I was not comparing them indirectly either. I could say Lebron James is the best player since Michael Jordan. It means what it says. Not something else indirectly.

Hatem Ben Arfa

while Rooney is a better striker than Shearer ever was, and while Dzeko and Llorente are better right now, HBA is right about Carroll's potential for beastiality.

(;))

he's only right because of his hysterical bias, but he's right.

shame he's at a team like Liverpool. both because I hate them, but also because they're set-up to play fast free-flowing stuff on the deck with Suarez running the show.

Shearer was better than Rooney. 400 Premier League goals of all various types would suggest so too.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Rooney is not better the Alan, especially that he has done just as much if not less for England than Alan has. But I always hated Alan and I happen to like Rooney.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
while Rooney is a better striker than Shearer ever was

VXfUVPaHQnheads.gif

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Shearer was better than Rooney. 400 Premier League goals of all various types would suggest so too.

400 Premier League goals? :lol: where did you learn to count? he ended with 238 PL goals. 379 allcomps.

he was a brilliant scorer, but as an all-around striker he doesn't even come close to Rooney. even as a goalscorer he's not lightyears ahead; Shearer's career goals-to-games ratio is 0.52, whereas Rooney's is 0.42 despite having only ever played one season a True9 (where Shearer spent his whole career) and never having the pleasure of a 42-game PL season, which Shearer did for 4 years.

plus Shearer was to Newcastle what Totti is to Roma. and that's a huge black mark against him.

then there's Shearer's inability to lead anyone to even a minor trophy despite often playing for the richest club in the country (Blackburn, early years at Newcastle). his only trophy (94-95 league) was achieved when Sutton arrived & pushed Blackburn over the top, and United bottled it on the final day against West Ham.

oh, and he smells like piss.

Rooney > Shearer

Sewelly

I'm sorry but that's just bollocks. You're making out like Alan Shearer was a glorified Darren Bent or something. Shearer's allround game was fantastic. People forget that earlier in his career at Southampton he played out wide and as a midfielder. Despite going through 4 major injuries he managed to re-invent his game and bouce back every time to be just as effective. He brought players into play, could drop wide, could taken set pieces, had excellent technique, was one of the best crossers of a ball going, great movement and intelligence... his goalscoring record and finishing with his feet and aerial ability was the tip of the iceberg.

The virtues that you're attributing to Rooney that make him a better 'allround' player are his playmaking skills and intelligence from deeper areas. These attributes are why I think he'll end up as a midfielder rather than a striker (he's basically that now, anyway). Rooney is a brilliant player but Shearer was the better striker.

(ps he finished with 260 Premier League goals)

Sewelly

Another couple of points, did Shearer ever have spells where he was as utterly shit as Rooney was during and post-World Cup? No, so another plus point for Shearer is his consistency.

Another, for all Rooney's supposed allround qualities whatever happened to his ability to score outside the box? Shearer used to score a ludicrous amount of goals from distance.

dalitis8

Banned
Rooney totally owns Shearer.

Far superior all around, and also keep in mind that Shearer played in a Premier League infinitely inferior to the current version.

Sewelly

Rooney's yet to perform for England as well as Shearer did too. Another plus.

This is no slant on Rooney btw, who I'm a massive fan of, but I feel your post before has given a massive diservice to Shearer so I'm going to bring up as many points as possible to defend him. ;)

Sewelly

If I was to pick an all-time Premier League XI with two strikers I'd pick Shearer and Henry. Without hesitation. They're the best to have graced the league by a country mile.

If I had to pick a #10, then Rooney would come under consideration. But he'd fall short behind Bergkamp.

I'm not going to post anymore because I'm going to bed and the likelyhood is you're not going to change your opinion. But frankly, you're wrong. :)

Home of Barca Fans