Ángel Di María

footyfan

Calma, calma
There's a difference between trying to dribble and being dispossessed every now and then and losing the ball 51 times.

Lame exaggerated statistic that for some reason is making the rounds to make him look bad. The 51 times stat includes possession lost due to misplaced passes, crosses and long balls. Using the same methodology, Messi, who was supposed to have been the best player yesterday, lost the ball 35 times. Considering that Angel was trying a lot more crosses and long balls and looked to be the only trying to force things, I'd say he didn't really have as bad a game as is being made out.

If you look at only possession lost due to dribbling or turnovers, both Messi and Di Maria lost the ball 9 times. And Di Maria made 3 more dribbles than Messi, which means that he was actually the better dribbler yesterday. Statistically of course.

Last edited:

Trickykid

Lame exaggerated statistic that for some reason is making the rounds to make him look bad. The 51 times stat includes possession lost due to misplaced passes, crosses and long balls. Using the same methodology, Messi, who was supposed to have been the best player yesterday, lost the ball 35 times. Considering that Angel was trying a lot more crosses and long balls and looked to be the only trying to force things, I'd say he didn't really have as bad a game as is being made out.

If you look at only possession lost due to dribbling or turnovers, both Messi and Di Maria lost the ball 9 times. And Di Maria made 3 more dribbles than Messi, which means that he was actually the better dribbler yesterday. Statistically of course.

When I watched the game, I thought he was pretty damn terrible. The mentioned numbers after the match only backed that up.
Granted, aside from Messi, he was the only one trying to make something happen, meaning he was bound to force his play a bit and thus in turn have more ball losses. It doesn't change the fact though, that he had an unusual bad first touch, his passing was off and his shooting woeful.

Also, now that you chose to delve deeper into the stats, don't forget to mention that Messi had 8 key passes against Di Maria's 3, which could imply that the former had much better succes with the final passes.

footyfan

Calma, calma
When I watched the game, I thought he was pretty damn terrible. The mentioned numbers after the match only backed that up.
Granted, aside from Messi, he was the only one trying to make something happen, meaning he was bound to force his play a bit and thus in turn have more ball losses. It doesn't change the fact though, that he had an unusual bad first touch, his passing was off and his shooting woeful.

Also, now that you chose to delve deeper into the stats, don't forget to mention that Messi had 8 key passes against Di Maria's 3, which could imply that the former had much better succes with the final passes.

Well if you look at the post I quoted, it seems like Semi thought that Di Maria lost the ball 51 times while trying to dribble, and I was just clearing that up.

As for your post, I agree he looked poor for certain stretches of the game and that was no doubt amplified by the fact that he was the most active Argentine player, more than Messi (backed up by stats that show he was the player with most touches on the pitch). In my opinion, that generally is excused because the others around him were brick cones and the entire creative burden fell on two players. The 51 times stat though makes it look way out of the ordinary when in fact he was just having a 'regular' ineffective and wasteful game. And that happens basically every third game with Di Maria.

I brought up Messi because he was the best player yesterday and comparing to the best is obviously a stronger argument and provides more perspective. While the key passes stat can be misleading in general (not yesterday though), only a fool would deny that Messi had a better game than Di Maria.

Trickykid

Well if you look at the post I quoted, it seems like Semi thought that Di Maria lost the ball 51 times while trying to dribble, and I was just clearing that up.

As for your post, I agree he looked poor for certain stretches of the game and that was no doubt amplified by the fact that he was the most active Argentine player, more than Messi (backed up by stats that show he was the player with most touches on the pitch). In my opinion, that generally is excused because the others around him were brick cones and the entire creative burden fell on two players. The 51 times stat though makes it look way out of the ordinary when in fact he was just having a 'regular' ineffective and wasteful game. And that happens basically every third game with Di Maria.

I brought up Messi because he was the best player yesterday and comparing to the best is obviously a stronger argument and provides more perspective. While the key passes stat can be misleading in general (not yesterday though), only a fool would deny that Messi had a better game than Di Maria.

Fair enough. And yeah, I agree that the 51 count is misleading, but disregarding that, he still had a less than mediocre game for the most part.

dakt

People on here are mad. If a guy scores one goal even after a bad game he's suddenly the flavour of the week. Also do people live in reality? Why would Madrid sell to their biggest rivals?

I think some people here play way too much fifa.

Not sure how you pulled that conclusion really. People are just expressing their wishful thinking.
Also, it's not his one goal, but whole season in RM. He is great player.

N11JELKA

Keep wishing
I have some wishes to, like Ronaldo, Bale and Benzema, why wouldn't RM sell them to us.
Or Pepe and Marcelo.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
German media have reported the rumor that Di Maria will be shipped to Bayern in exchange for Kroos.

Don't want him to go to Bayern! :(

634cbeebjw1ei0cqsjfpmj20qo0hsdip.jpg

Jägermeister

German media have reported the rumor that Di Maria will be shipped to Bayern in exchange for Kroos.

Don't want him to go to Bayern! :(

634cbeebjw1ei0cqsjfpmj20qo0hsdip.jpg
That would be such a incredebly bad move from Real. But it will never happen. German websites also saying that after Kroos is gone, Cuadrado will come to them, ignoring that other clubs are interested as well.
It's the same what the British media do. For some reason according to them, ManU could get any player they want.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Any news about Di Maria's injury?? Much needed to get energy out of this Argentina side and to make sure Messi doesn't get deployed in BS positions.

Home of Barca Fans