Antoine Griezmann

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Griezmann just running around wasn't enough when Messi was still here to carry the offense on his own and it's certainly not enough now. We don't need a forward that plays like a fullback, we need actual threats up front.

He plays like a tactically worse Pedro, but unfortunately his partners are Depay/Braithwaite instead of Villa/Messi and there is no Xavi/Iniesta behind either so this kind of support role just doesn't get us anywhere.

We'd need Griezmann to actually do something meaningful with the ball and get into scoring positions himself more often but it seems like the "freedom" of not having Messi didn't lead to an increase in any of that at all.

100% agree. But we can not expect him to 'actually do something meaningful with the ball and get into scoring positions himself more often' because he is simply not good enough.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Sell him to City

They don't want him. We're stuck with him. Only thing we can hope for is him stepping up in certain games like he did for Atletico at their best CL-wise, but that might have been Griezmann's peak which was what four or five years ago?

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
You're trolling, right?

No I'm not. I can see how it can look like I am, but I can assure you I am not. Watch his off the ball movement and all the selfless runs he makes. I really believe that in the post-Messi era he is going to be our player of the season.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
No I'm not. I can see how it can look like I am, but I can assure you I am not. Watch his off the ball movement and all the selfless runs he makes. I really believe that in the post-Messi era he is going to be our player of the season.

He better be. Although, I am puzzled with your newfound love for the French.

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
He better be. Although, I am puzzled with your newfound love for the French.
I started feeling a little sorry for him last season and at the end of the previous season. He kept making run after run and was not getting the ball. Everything just slowed down and given to Messi, which then meant Anton was now in an offside position and effectively out of the game. However, his runs did pull defenders out of the way for Messi to exploit, yet he was not getting any credit. Now that we have the club back and we are playing at a much higher tempo; he will shine. It can't have been easy for him but he has never complained (as far as I know) and always gives 100% even if that isn't reflected in his stats.

Come on big fella. Join me in the Anton crusade!

I love a hard working player. Remember Oleguer? Absolute shit footballer but a legend as he always gave his all. Anton has the same attitude but is a far, far better player. He could have just sulked and picked up his pay check every week but he hasn't. He has just got on with it even if all the fans aren't on his side.

Last edited:

malvolio

I started feeling a little sorry for him last season and at the end of the previous season. He kept making run after run and was not getting the ball. Everything just slowed down and given to Messi, which then meant Anton was now in an offside position and effectively out of the game. However, his runs did pull defenders out of the way for Messi to exploit, yet he was not getting any credit. Now that we have the club back and we are playing at a much higher tempo; he will shine. It can't have been easy for him but he has never complained (as far as I know) and always gives 100% even if that isn't reflected in his stats.

Come on big fella. Join me in the Anton crusade!

I love a hard working player. Remember Oleguer? Absolute shit footballer but a legend as he always gave his all. Anton has the same attitude but is a far, far better player. He could have just sulked and picked up his pay check every week but he hasn't. He has just got on with it even if all the fans aren't on his side.

username checks out :tata:

JohnN

... I Now that we have the club back and we are playing at a much higher tempo; he will shine. ...

- we have the club back? Who had stole it?
- We are playing at a higher tempo? When did you spot that? Last time I checked, we played the exact same lethargic football, while having no clue how to attack.

Griezmann was not able to break the defensive line while having the beat through ball passer in the world behind him, but he will somehow manage it with no decent forward passer. Sorry, he is not good enough in 2021. I too hope he somehow manages to play better, but nothing has been holding him back. No need for excuses.

Home of Barca Fans