Arda Turan

Trickykid

This thread reminds me of Rakitic's, in his 1st 6 months playing here. Raki was labeled as not good enough for a sub by many, a downgrade on cesc(!!!), that we'd never win the league with Raki as a starting midfielder... look at him now. No midfielder will make an instant impact in a team like Barça. And training is different from playing.

This so much.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Rakitic didn't cost 40M€, just a reminder.

On the rest I agree, he needs time, sure.

Forget exactly which game it was but one the last times Arda started I was very impressed by the runs he was making from midfield. He was playing on Neymars side and countless times he was wide open for a pass but he either wasn't spotted by his teammates for the pass or they just decided to pass the ball off to one of MSN. Can't really hold it against the guys wanting to get the ball to any of those guys but sometimes I cant help but think they force the ball to those 3 players. But if Arda had been given the ball in those advanced spaces I think thats where he could set himself apart from the rest of his midfield teammates. Cause he has a better shot than anyone in the midfield besides Rakitic but his ball control and dribbling is better than Ivan's. Thats why I'm in the camp of wait till next season when he has more trust from his teammates to judge him.

God Serena

This thread reminds me of Rakitic's, in his 1st 6 months playing here. Raki was labeled as not good enough for a sub by many, a downgrade on cesc(!!!), that we'd never win the league with Raki as a starting midfielder... look at him now. No midfielder will make an instant impact in a team like Barça. And training is different from playing.

Rakitic early on also had to deal with Lucho's tactics when he was just finding his feet at the club. We didn't have a consistent XI (How many months did we go without using the same XI twice?). Rakitic had to spend most of the game covering for a Dani Alves who was almost completely ignoring his defensive duties in favor of linking up with a Messi who at the time was still playing centrally. He clearly fit into the team and was able to keep up with the other players but what he was instructed to do limited his abilities. It's not just a case of him adapting to the team as time went on, his rise to form coincided with the entire team suddenly meshing together after *that* game at the Anoeta, imo. I think a lot of the negativity surrounding Rakitic was also largely steeped in the overall negativity surrounding Lucho after we lost to Real Madrid so humiliatingly (That's also the original "Mathieu sucks at LB" example, looking back).

I don't see any real connection between that and a 40m, 29 year old who isn't performing any better than the midfielders we already have. It's already clear he won't be a starter, that much has been certain even to those of us who were initially infatuated with him, and to those who still are for some reason. With the likes of Roberto, Rafinha, Denis, Halilovic, etc. coming up, with Samper, #TeamAlena, Kaptoum, etc biting at the heels of the first team in the years that would be Arda's 32+ y/o veteran years, it's hard to see him sticking around for more than a couple of seasons, especially performing on the level of a squad rotation player.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Rakitic's ball control is underrated imo. His dribbling is not world class but he constantly manages to dribble out when pressed, him being dispossesed is a rare thing to witness.

Co0ter

Rakitic's ball control is underrated imo. His dribbling is not world class but he constantly manages to dribble out when pressed, him being dispossesed is a rare thing to witness.

Rakitic's control wasn't like that when he first got here, that is the part of his game that improves significantly after signing for us. He was rough in tight spaces with a heavy first touch when he got here. Absolutely the most improved player we've recently signed.

Dado

I'm a Fenerbahçe fan so I don't "love" Arda although I don't hate him. I just wanted to set expectations here since I know Arda as a footballer more than anyone here, probably. I guess most of the criticism comes from the fact that Barça has spent €41M to get a 28-year old midfielder (29 now) who will never be an Iniesta.

Second best MF ? ... No.

But i agree with everything else. Arda the player he is makes more sense as a backup for the winger position if one of MSN gets injured, than a backup midfeilder.

It will be intresting to see what happens in the summer transfer window. If Barca goes to sign a new MF may it be Pogba or some 16 year old kid from Estonia i think that would be a signal for Arda to leave if he does not want to spend the rest of his career sitting on the bench.

I tought the "Rakitic debate" lasted only for 2, 3 months max. No way it was 6 months long.

F

Flavia

Rakitic didn't cost 40M€, just a reminder.

On the rest I agree, he needs time, sure.

Market changed, and Rakitic didn't have the projection Arda did then. In that summer, Raki was 18m, and Kroos 25m.

Rakitic early on also had to deal with Lucho's tactics when he was just finding his feet at the club. We didn't have a consistent XI (How many months did we go without using the same XI twice?). Rakitic had to spend most of the game covering for a Dani Alves who was almost completely ignoring his defensive duties in favor of linking up with a Messi who at the time was still playing centrally. He clearly fit into the team and was able to keep up with the other players but what he was instructed to do limited his abilities. It's not just a case of him adapting to the team as time went on, his rise to form coincided with the entire team suddenly meshing together after *that* game at the Anoeta, imo. I think a lot of the negativity surrounding Rakitic was also largely steeped in the overall negativity surrounding Lucho after we lost to Real Madrid so humiliatingly (That's also the original "Mathieu sucks at LB" example, looking back).

I don't see any real connection between that and a 40m, 29 year old who isn't performing any better than the midfielders we already have. It's already clear he won't be a starter, that much has been certain even to those of us who were initially infatuated with him, and to those who still are for some reason. With the likes of Roberto, Rafinha, Denis, Halilovic, etc. coming up, with Samper, #TeamAlena, Kaptoum, etc biting at the heels of the first team in the years that would be Arda's 32+ y/o veteran years, it's hard to see him sticking around for more than a couple of seasons, especially performing on the level of a squad rotation player.

Rakitic oscilated a lot between good and bad games. He was clearly struggling to find balance, but wasn't as bad as the reactions were here back then. Several factors came into place, but it's not easy to be a midfielder at Barça. Arda is finding his feet, just like Rakitic did. He's now playing in a different system, with different roles than he had at atletico. He won't magically have an impact after playing for barely 3 months, and not playing every match.

I don't rate Denis and Halilovic that much. Neither should come in the summer, there's no need. They'd be on the bench most of the time as well, and they need playing time.

I tought the "Rakitic debate" lasted only for 2, 3 months max. No way it was 6 months long.

He was criticized from the world cup onwards. Until after Anoeta there was a lot of people not confident in him.

BerkeleyBernie

Rakitic's control wasn't like that when he first got here, that is the part of his game that improves significantly after signing for us. He was rough in tight spaces with a heavy first touch when he got here. Absolutely the most improved player we've recently signed.

He's become *much* better with his first touch, and it's been a slow gradual improvement over time, mostly this season. One wouldn't recognize the Rakitic vs Arsenal yesterday compared to his first year here.

FCB16

About arda and raki
arda (636 mins played) with 3 assists and it's only a debut
raki (1905 mins played) with 0 assists

Defensive raki is good but on the side of offensive solutions and and creating chances he is so weak (just throw the ball to messi or dani)

Kuchi

My god, he has to be as bold and decisive as Iniesta and defend like Raki, from the get go, or he's not worth 40 MIL at that age.

He's made more of an impact than Raki, at his debut period, imo. Don't get me wrong, i love Raki he's been brilliant and he impresses me more and more every day, but it's a bit of a double standard here...

serghei

I like him and I think he's doing as expected if you strictly think about his role in the team. Roles limit players' ability in this Barca midfield setup, which is heavily influenced by the attacking trio up front and the fact that they rarely come back to defend. Some of the things the fans are expecting from Turan don't fit with the role Lucho asigned to him imo. This isn't Turan the main man at Atletico. This is Turan the suporting player for a stellar cast, so imo people should adapt their rating of him to fit what's actually demanded from the manager.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans