Arda Turan

F

Flavia

That's true, Busquets is a Barca legend at this point - but there's something else here and it's called scapegoating. There's one scapegoat in each "era". Before Arda it was Fabregas. Obviously, a lot of the criticism is warranted, but so much of it isn't. There's been a huge overreaction regarding Arda's time here.

I don't think it's overreaction. Search this thread and you'll see I defended him a lot, for a long time. But he's been a let down, and he's not really doing anything to change that. It's only pre-season, but he's aware of the criticism. Some of his agent's statements made that clear.

Stric

I don't think it's overreaction. Search this thread and you'll see I defended him a lot, for a long time. But he's been a let down, and he's not really doing anything to change that. It's only pre-season, but he's aware of the criticism. Some of his agent's statements made that clear.

That's fine. I don't claim that nobody defends him. But overall when you look at the reactions in this thread, you'd think Arda is the worst player in FCB history. He's been disappointing, fair enough. But let's maintain at least some common sense and criticize him appropriately, instead of an all-out assault.

F

Flavia

That's fine. I don't claim that nobody defends him. But overall when you look at the reactions in this thread, you'd think Arda is the worst player in FCB history. He's been disappointing, fair enough. But let's maintain at least some common sense and criticize him appropriately, instead of an all-out assault.

Hahaha, you want too much, Stric :p

M

Messi+Eto

I'd love to write an epistle about this player but right now, I'd just go with: PLEASE sell this surplus to requirement player while we still can.

serghei

This is sort of the style of the forum these days. I'm trying to treat it more like a humorous thing myself.

God Serena

Maybe people would be more fair if we hadn't have paid 40m for a player who doesn't want to play.

Total-Football

clearly he has a weak mentality .. you can't expect such a weak person ( mentally ) to recover .. so he's done both physcially and mentally .. that's a double bingo in the words of the colonel hans landa :lol:

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Maybe people would be more fair if we hadn't have paid 40m for a player who doesn't want to play.

First, you didn't pay a dime; second, that price was accepted by the board, so if you're looking for culprits they should be the ones; and third, he was requested by Lucho as far as I recall, so maybe some scorn should go his way too?

About Arda not putting enough effort? Now that is a critic I can get behind, because it is entirely up to him to show up in games... I wanna see him throwing shoes and getting in scuffles while he delivers solid performances on the pitch...

God Serena

First, you didn't pay a dime;

Oh, how clever, but I'd like to at least pretend you're intelligent enough to know what I meant.

second, that price was accepted by the board, so if you're looking for culprits they should be the ones;

It's not the board's fault Arda doesn't run.

and third, he was requested by Lucho as far as I recall, so maybe some scorn should go his way too?

It definitely isn't Lucho's fault that Arda doesn't run, either.

About Arda not putting enough effort? Now that is a critic I can get behind, because it is entirely up to him to show up in games... I wanna see him throwing shoes and getting in scuffles while he delivers solid performances on the pitch...

So then wtf are you trying to argue then?

FCBarca

Mike the Knife

I don't think it's the money per se, at least not for me. I actually like the player in general but I can see he's a bad fit. Midfield like many areas in this team is a difficult position to adapt to. The argument that he hasn't been here long enough to fully judge has merit on the one hand but on the other, he's never shown that he can play in this style since his arrival - I don't recall a single passage of play where he drove our offense or spearheaded a counter. I don't see that changing since he seems to be too ponderous whenever he's on the ball in the final third.

He still looks an election gimmick that has failed miserably thus far

F

Flavia

Barça is not a club that have infinite cash available, so spending 40m on a player that doesn't correspond on the pitch will also bring even more criticism.

Blaugrana Man

Barça is not a club that have infinite cash available, so spending 40m on a player that doesn't correspond on the pitch will also bring even more criticism.

Agreed. I've wanted to defend Arda for last year's performance because I always liked him as a player at Atleti and believed we might see him once he had time to acclimate. However, I just can't see him getting any better in our squad. He doesn't have the work rate or technical skill to fit the role he was brought in to play, and he cost the club an absurd amount of money. I think at this point the only logical handling of this situation is to cut whatever losses have been incurred and sell him for what we can get. I still think he's a fine footballer, but he has to be in side that fits his abilities, and Barcelona isn't that club.

George_Costanza

Turan thrived under a system that was the antithesis of Barcelona's possession style. Not sure why so many of you are surprised now that he can't imitate his work with Barcelona. Turan can be more suitable for teams like Liverpool who play counter pressing footabll. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Home of Barca Fans