Arda Turan

I've seen this argument innumerable times. In the end, this is like asking why you are happy when your team wins. After all, you win nothing and your life stays the same.

Reasonable fans of sport clubs care about how the money is spent because spending money has consequences for the club they support. If your team spends too much on a shit signing, you worry, not because it's your money, but because it hampers the club's capacity to stay strong and competitive, and you care about that. And even if it's not a shit signing, if it compromises the sustainibility of the club, it's reasonable to be worried if you're a supporter.

I guess this is not news to you, but football clubs don't have endless resources. Valencia is a recent example of how bad management can compromise the viability of a club. Or look no further. Barça under Gaspart was in serious trouble, in great part due to crazy spending. Meh, who cares, it's not my money!

That said, I'm ambiguous regarding the signing of Arda Turan. Short term, great. Long term (thinking about our young prospects) I'm not so sure. I'm not the least worried about the money spent, but obviously not because it's not my money, but because I think Barça can currently afford it.

:goodpost:

if thats the case its a bad deal, he is not a 41m player

BTW who are making all these decisions when their is no president in at the moment

Funny how Koke got everybody wet and now that we got the only midfielder from Atletico, that is clearly better than Koke in all aspects of the game, he's too expensive, too old, not Xavi :p

Well, you surely understand that it's not the same to sign great technition and passer Arda who will have 29 at his debut for us and, for example, (like I suggested) Calhanoglu, who is already "FK expert", "one of best assissters", "great shooter and dribbler that covers a lot of middlefield" and only 21... having long term perspective and decade of potential service players is best option for the team.

F

forcabarca

If Lucho insisted on signing Arda, then there's no point in arguing over his fees or age. I like Arda's beard, maybe Lucho liked it too and wanted some competition for Pique's beard. :D

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
I'm expecting this to be honest. There was no way we were getting Turan for 41m. 35m also seems high.

Max 30m and it's a decent deal imo.

You are buying from a direct competitor. So you are not paying his worth, you are paying for his competition. You are directly weakening a rival and you are paying for a La Liga winner, against all odds. He is not expensive, he an experienced player in Spain and a winner.

xXKonan

Laporta: If we win the elections, Abidal will talk with Luis Enrique and we will decide about Arda Turan.

Bran the Greenseer

Well, you surely understand that it's not the same to sign great technition and passer Arda who will have 29 at his debut for us and, for example, (like I suggested) Calhanoglu, who is already "FK expert", "one of best assissters", "great shooter and dribbler that covers a lot of middlefield" and only 21... having long term perspective and decade of potential service players is best option for the team.

This is assuming Koke was ever an option, he has repeatedly stated that he wants to stay at Atleti and has told us to shove off already. If we wanted to buy a young midfielder from Atletico we should have gone for Torres since he doesn't fit their system. Although idk if that'll ever happen now.

Edit: also biggest pro about turan is that he'll save the team from resting on their laurels with his hyper-competitiveness, something Iniesta has been doing since 2011 :lol:

Last edited:

PhilS

Arda will be starting in the big games for Barca for most of the length of this contract. If you think he will just be a sub, you have not been watching AM win all those titles the last few years. I think he will be Barca's best midfielder (counting Messi as a forward).

By March at the latest, he will be getting big minutes. Arda is pretty close to the prototype for what you want now in a midfielder, he is a true two-way player.

By January, Barca will have the depth at every position to win the big titles even with a few more injuries than the team had last season.

Ritchie

Barca has seen its revenue stagnate for the past 3 years, while other teams have seen their revenue increase 30-40%. We cant just splash money like we have a billionaire backer behind us. Signing players with no sell-on value is a luxury that should not be the norm. I do understand that coaches like short-term signings because they are afraid of losing their jobs, but thats why we should have a management that can balance that with more long term strategies.

I do really hope he has a fantastic career for us though. Lets cross our fingers.

It's selling Barca are particularly bad at. Sanchez and Cesc were worth more than we got in the market. Look what Madrid got for Ozil and Di Maria who they wanted out or the poor buying and selling for Ibra who was worth more than we got.

We don't need to buy young players if La Masia is doing its job. Problem is it's not at the moment. We got Neymar in who is still young, Ter Stegen could be our keeper for a long time and if you got Pogba in he could be here for 10 years as well in midfield. There's nobody coming through in the youth who you think could do that at the moment. Not since Thiago left.

Home of Barca Fans