Arturo Vidal

Observer

Banned
You're clearly biased against alcohol, and part of that bias may be due to the fact you hold a cultural-theological worldview which sees alcohol as something morally questionable. That is, based off of your username, that you are a Muslim (and maybe, at least, somewhat devout or serious about your religion?).

This is not an attack on your character or beliefs or reasoning but is more of an anthropological thesis. I just thought I observed some bias in your propositions and tried to determine why that would be the case.

You said what I didnt wanted to say, and in a nice objective manner

1000 Internet points for you sir

Vegeta

You said what I didnt wanted to say, and in a nice objective manner

1000 Internet points for you sir

Well, I was taught to write clearly with well-defined terms and arguments. So thanks!

Surmised with swag. Alcohol isn't the devil but don't drink and drive, kids.

I completely agree with this general rule but, if we dig a bit deeper, not every car accident with a driver under the influence (or, even more interestingly, having had alcohol but still under the legal limit) is CAUSED by the fact that at least one of the drivers had consumed alcohol.

Since correlation does not equal causation, it's POSSIBLE that Arturo Vidal's alcohol consumption, whether it is slight or not, did not affect the FACT that he had a car accident. Maybe it was completely the other guy's fault and he couldn't control it.

Now, I don't know the details. I'm going to ASSUME that Vidal was responsible, or at least partly responsible, for the accident.

All I'm saying is that sometimes reality is not what we think it is, and it's always better to think clearly and logically than to jump to fallacious conclusions about a given situation.

Last edited:

footyfan

Calma, calma
Well, I was taught to write clearly with well-defined terms and arguments. So thanks!

I completely agree with this general rule but, if we dig a bit deeper, not every car accident with a driver under the influence (or, even more interestingly, having had alcohol but still under the legal limit) is CAUSED by the fact that at least one of the drivers had consumed alcohol.

Since correlation does not equal causation, it's POSSIBLE that Arturo Vidal's alcohol consumption, whether it is slight or not, did not affect the FACT that he had a car accident. Maybe it was completely the other guy's fault and he couldn't control it.

Now, I don't know the details. I'm going to ASSUME that Vidal was responsible, or at least partly responsible, for the accident.

All I'm saying is that sometimes reality is not what we think it is, and it's always better to think clearly and logically than to jump to fallacious conclusions about a given situation.

There's not a lot to think here. He broke the law by driving while above the legal limit and crashed his nice Ferrari. There is no other guy here at all, thankfully. Vidal is completely responsible for the accident. It is a very simple situation. The legal limit exists because causation has been proven, that a certain amount of alcohol in your system affects your driving ability. In the current situation, the overwhelming probability is that the alcohol he consumed was responsible for the accident.

Eetu

Adormit
There's not a lot to think here. He broke the law by driving while above the legal limit and crashed his nice Ferrari. There is no other guy here at all, thankfully. Vidal is completely responsible for the accident. It is a very simple situation. The legal limit exists because causation has been proven, that a certain amount of alcohol in your system affects your driving ability. In the current situation, the overwhelming probability is that the alcohol he consumed was responsible for the accident.

Besides Chilean limit seems lenient. Here it's 0.5 grams and 1.2 would make it aggravated and get you a suspended sentence of about 20 days with two years probation or loss of the equivalent of 2 months of your pay. And of course losing your license for at least a year. Though having it had led to an accident could affect it quite a bit, 2 years of jail time the upper limit.

Alcohol isn't the devil but don't drink and drive, kids.

Yeah. More than about alcohol, it's about taking control of something you can easily kill with by accident, while impaired. With alcohol it just should be obvious to any idiot that you're impaired.

Gnidrologist

Besides Chilean limit seems lenient. Here it's 0.5 grams and 1.2 would make it aggravated and get you a suspended sentence of about 20 days with two years probation or loss of the equivalent of 2 months of your pay. And of course losing your license for at least a year.
Correction. Chlean limits are sane and based on common sense. Yours are bashit crazy. Not really surprising. The leftist governments of Scandinavia and nordic countries in general seem to want to control every aspect of their citizen's lives, like they were kindergarten kids. I also heard that the fines for administrative breaches of law, including driving rule violations in Finland scale to perpetrator's yearly income so a guy, who earns 2 mill a year will have to pay like 200k for minor speeding incident, regardless of lack of recidivism. :tea:

Vegeta

Correction. Chlean limits are sane and based on common sense. Yours are bashit crazy. Not really surprising. The leftist governments of Scandinavia and nordic countries in general seem to want to control every aspect of their citizen's lives, like they were kindergarten kids. I also heard that the fines for administrative breaches of law, including driving rule violations in Finland scale to perpetrator's yearly income so a guy, who earns 2 mill a year will have to pay like 200k for minor speeding incident, regardless of lack of recidivism. :tea:

I like that law.

Gnidrologist

Pendulum seems to swing from one extreme no another. That seems to be the way of human nature, which in end finishes in the same fucking spot it was supposed to overcome with the help of ''progress''. And general populace are eating this shit up with their morning serials, unfortunately.

Eetu

Adormit

Meh. If you willingly endanger lives of others, you should be punished.

Minor incidents are punished with a fixed petty fine, day-fines are scaled. To get to the day-fines you need to be at least 20 km/h over the limit. The most often cited example of those kind of fines is the case where a businessman with income of 10 million euros got fined 112 thousand for doing 82 in a 60 km/h. That's only 22 km/h over the limit, but that's almost double the kinetic energy and reaction time well reduced. Day-fines are meant to hurt, regardless of who you are.

And yes, here we rather have adults take responsibility for their own actions.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Meh. If you willingly endanger lives of others, you should be punished.

Minor incidents are punished with a fixed petty fine, day-fines are scaled. To get to the day-fines you need to be at least 20 km/h over the limit. The most often cited example of those kind of fines is the case where a businessman with income of 10 million euros got fined 112 thousand for doing 82 in a 60 km/h. That's only 22 km/h over the limit, but that's almost double the kinetic energy and reaction time well reduced. Day-fines are meant to hurt, regardless of who you are.

And yes, here we rather have adults take responsibility for their own actions.

20 km/hr in what kind of roads? Would they fine someone 110,000 for doing 121 km/hr on a 100 km/hr highway?

Last edited:
F

Flavia

Here in Brasil the tolerance is 0.
No drop of alcohol if you're driving. Because the number of accidents caused by drinking were too high, and still are, even with such a rigorous law.

Jair Ventura

Here in Brasil the tolerance is 0.
No drop of alcohol if you're driving. Because the number of accidents caused by drinking were too high, and still are, even with such a rigorous law.

People here drive crazy anyway, no alcohol necessary. The police and legal justice system are also one of the most racist, violent bunch in the world. I.e, the military police kill far more people
than any beverages, alcoholic or not.

Home of Barca Fans