Arturo Vidal

utility73

The double standards and seemingly complete lack of sense of proportionality of some people is staggering.
When Suarez bites someone (after constantly being provoked) people are all over him yet this is nothing compared to what Vidal did.
Vidal drove under the influence and way too fast and so we was risking lifes (not only his). Yet now people are downplaying this.
Can't believe what I am reading here.

For Vidal I hope that his apology was meant seriously and that he finally learns something and grows up.

Last edited:

Jair Ventura

It doesn't make reckless driving and/or driving under the influence less bad or dangerous just because he didn't injure or kill someone though, he got lucky on that part. It's not like he could control the accident in a manner to be 100% sure that no one would be hurt. So I don't understand why some people are sticking up for him because of that.

His apology seemed very sincere though, have to give him that much.

Failing to kill someone undoubtedly makes it "less bad". You don't even know whether he were impaired to the point where it caused the accident, only that his blood alcohol level was slightly above the legal limit, which says almost nothing about his person in the context of morals and ethics.

KyletheMuslim

Guardiolista
A blood alcohol level of 1.2 is really not that much at all like I said previously. Two glasses of wine with dinner could achieve that. Last night I had a patient at 4.5 and he was walking around without assistance however slurring his words- should the person be driving, hell no...but he also had almost 4x the alcohol level Vidal did.

If I were Vidal I wouldn't take the chance given his lifestyle as a footballer and basically his life of luxury.

A lot of judgemental people here, some saints supposedly. Never drank, even a beer or two, and drove before? The halo is beaming ever so brightly.

Alcohol destroys people's lives, maybe if you had a personal experience with alcohol related tragedy you would understand what people are trying to say here.

Jair Ventura

Alcohol destroys people's lives, maybe if you had a personal experience with alcohol related tragedy you would understand what people are trying to say here.

Employing personal anecdotes to justify making inane judgements upon others mistakes seems ethically shallow in itself.

Last edited:

KyletheMuslim

Guardiolista
Employing personal anecdotes to justify making inane judgements upon others mistakes seems ethnically shallow in itself.

you mean ethically right ? I don't think the judgement is inane. The social costs of alcohol consumption clearly outweigh the social benefits, but I digress. I was simply trying to get him to see things from the perspective of others

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Failing to kill someone undoubtedly makes it "less bad". You don't even know whether he were impaired to the point where it caused the accident, only that his blood alcohol level was slightly above the legal limit, which says almost nothing about his person in the context of morals and ethics.

He knew he had drunk and made the decision to drive anyway. Reckless. Hopefully he learnt his lesson now.

XaviMessiGirl

That's why I included reckless driving, one doesn't have to be drunk to drive recklessly. And again, the fact he didn't injure or kill anyone was largely down to luck, he didn't have control over that.

Topolino

Gemusesuppe
I'm quite certain he would've wrecked his car even if he had been at the 0,8% mark, thus "legally drunk".

Athletes don't drink much, at least they shouldn't thus it means they get "drunk" faster than someone who has a beer or two every couple of days.
(No alcohol for 3-4 months and after that, when you drink 2 beers it can really mess you up)

One more thing to consider:

Everyone knows they shouldn't drink and drive, the thing is... drinking affects judgement and thus the drunk person just doesn't realise what he/she is doing and that leads to them driving.

XaviMessiGirl

But you can't blame people who have lost a friend or family member in a drunk driving accident for feeling more strongly about such things than people who haven't. There are a lot of instances where people don't really care about an issue until it affects them.

Vegeta

you mean ethically right ? I don't think the judgement is inane. The social costs of alcohol consumption clearly outweigh the social benefits, but I digress. I was simply trying to get him to see things from the perspective of others

You're clearly biased against alcohol, and part of that bias may be due to the fact you hold a cultural-theological worldview which sees alcohol as something morally questionable. That is, based off of your username, that you are a Muslim (and maybe, at least, somewhat devout or serious about your religion?).

This is not an attack on your character or beliefs or reasoning but is more of an anthropological thesis. I just thought I observed some bias in your propositions and tried to determine why that would be the case.

Home of Barca Fans