Ballon d'Or 2011

H725

He was last season. By quite a long way.

Mascherano surprised me a lot as central back last year... while I always consider Piquè the best barca defender and probably in the world (along with Thiago Silva,that for me deserved the spot in the best 23 instead of Abidal)

Myrmecophile

Mr. Japes
Yeah but this award is for the whole of 2011. Abidal was our best defender as the second half of last season happened and Barca won the league and CL.

Mascherano has been great but the nominations are weighted in favour of the first half of the calendar year for obvious reasons. No reason why he couldn't be nominated next year if he keeps it up though.

Piqué wasn't that great last year, he shouldn't be in the top 23.

Gfrench33

There are a lot of aberration in this list, as usual... Even in the coaches' list. There are so incongruity... I don't even know where to begin.

In first time, here is the list : Xavi Hernandez - Abidal - Agüero - Benzema - Casillas - Ronaldo - Alves - Eto'o - Fabregas - Forlan - Iniesta - Messi - Müller - Nani - Neymar - Özil - Piqué - Rooney - Schweinsteiger - Sneijder - Suarez - Villa - Xabi Alonso

Like you, I'm Barcelona's fan, but I must recognize Abidal, Fabregas, and Piqué don't deserve their selections. Contrary to Busquets who's unfairly forgotten. Then, about Madrid's players, what do Benzema and Casillas in this list ? And Sneijder, and Forlan, and Aguëro, and Müller, and Neymar ?

Di Natale, Van Persie, Carvalho, Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva, Abbiati, Hulk, Falcao, Moutinho should be in this list.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Suarez was the MVP of the 2nd or 3rd most important national tournament so why shouldn't he be on the list?

But at club level he didn't do much for the past year

But at least one can understand his inclusion but Forlan!? Really!?

dalitis8

Banned
There are a lot of aberration in this list, as usual... Even in the coaches' list. There are so incongruity... I don't even know where to begin.

In first time, here is the list : Xavi Hernandez - Abidal - Agüero - Benzema - Casillas - Ronaldo - Alves - Eto'o - Fabregas - Forlan - Iniesta - Messi - Müller - Nani - Neymar - Özil - Piqué - Rooney - Schweinsteiger - Sneijder - Suarez - Villa - Xabi Alonso

Like you, I'm Barcelona's fan, but I must recognize Abidal, Fabregas, and Piqué don't deserve their selections. Contrary to Busquets who's unfairly forgotten. Then, about Madrid's players, what do Benzema and Casillas in this list ? And Sneijder, and Forlan, and Aguëro, and Müller, and Neymar ?

Di Natale, Van Persie, Carvalho, Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva, Abbiati, Hulk, Falcao, Moutinho should be in this list.

Van Persie was not that great last season if I am not mistaken. Abbiati???? very funny.

Hulk and Falcao I agree with, but I am not so sure about the rest...

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
Abidal most definitely should be on that list as he was phenomenal last season & Pique wasn't so good so he shouldn't be up there, this award is 100% Messi's this time

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Remove Pique, Cesc, Rooney, Forlan, Villa & Casillas

and Sneijder & Benzema (+ possibly Müller, I haven't seen him play, but Sahin/Götze should be ahead of him)

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Yeah? Mario Gomez scored 45 goals in 49 games I believe. He deserves a spot.

42... 35 of them are for club

But RvP is not just about stats if you are mocking me for that post. He creates a lot of goal scoring chances too. He involves a lot more in the game than Gomez, in fact more than most of the forwards out there

Home of Barca Fans