Barça Squad for 2011/2012

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
EMD is somewhat reliable although when it comes to rumors, noone really knows what's true.

Lemmi

The Reckoner
We don't need Cesc. He will need to play in the big games as a big signing, and he isnt as good as Xaviesta. With Thiago+Keita+Busquets(Masch DM)+Afellay+Young Guns we are more than prepared.. with Cesc we would see Keita get unsettled, Thiago stagnate and other youngsters not get opportunities. Thiago deserves some trust, he is 20 now (or soon) and has come up with some good performances and goals in limited chances, a lot of the time playing when we put out full on second string teams.

Waste of money, at least wait until next year. He actually needs to prove he isnt a sicknote, then he will be worth splurting more dollar on.

gingerless

LOl Cruyff didn't consider Afellay as core! He doesn't seem to think there's potential at least!!

No mention of Keiteee, wonder what's Pep's thoughts about that :p

well tbh they aren't core... afellay is explosive, he can never run the show in barcelona and keita is hardly creative

We don't need Cesc. He will need to play in the big games as a big signing, and he isnt as good as Xaviesta. With Thiago+Keita+Busquets(Masch DM)+Afellay+Young Guns we are more than prepared.. with Cesc we would see Keita get unsettled, Thiago stagnate and other youngsters not get opportunities. Thiago deserves some trust, he is 20 now (or soon) and has come up with some good performances and goals in limited chances, a lot of the time playing when we put out full on second string teams.

Waste of money, at least wait until next year. He actually needs to prove he isnt a sicknote, then he will be worth splurting more dollar on.

all i know is, if xavi was injured i wouldn't trust any of those players to run the midfield in an important game, i'm not saying they should be like xavi, but they're not anywhere near prepared

Lemmi

The Reckoner
if xavi gets injured were fucked. all agreed. same with messi, but i dont see everyone here saying we have to try and buy the closest thing to messi, we want different options.. there are enough options in the squad already.

30M+ for a back up is ridiculous, Xavi is 31 not 38.

MagIX

In my opinion the first priority is Cesc, without any doubt (without selling Thiago).

Cesc is the best midfielder in the world after Xavi and Iniesta, he's only 24 years but
with a lot of experience in CL and in EPL. Sahin, Pastore and others are not
even comparable to Cesc !
Cesc is expansive, but we were ready to spent 40 million for Villa, a player nearly 30 years, between 2 or 3 years at latest we have to think about replacing him. Cesc in 3 years will have only 27 years!. Cesc is a very important investment for the future and a very versatile player, that allows us to play in different ways.
Cesc is the key player for the midfield, rotation with Xavi and Iniesta, but not only.
Does not have to be always a substitute for Xavi, we should not always play 4-3-3, we have players with so much talent that allows us to vary, for example a 4-1-3-2:

Alves-----Puyol-Piqué-----Abidal
--------------Busquets
----Fabregas-Xavi-Iniesta
----------Messi------Villa------

Thiago has only 20 years, and if Iniesta and Xavi are injured for 2 or 3 months, Thiago is not yet ready to replace them, Cesc yes.
Injuries of Cesc? for me they are just unfortunate cases, not chronic.
Thiago will still have a way to play more, but he has only 20 years. We can not
expect that tomorrow he will become a genius. But Thiago has the opportunity to train, learn and play with players of a level of Xavi, Iniesta and Cesc, an opportunity that happens once every 100 years! And in a couple of years he will probably be el fenomeno.

P

PhilS

According to MD:
Barcelona wants to sign 4 players in the summer: a left-back defender, a midfielder and 2 forwards.

So, the only way to add that many, along with the promotion of Thiago, is for several to leave. The team has posted articles about Keita, Afellay and Adriano recently, none of them are going anywhere. Nor are any of the top 12 + Pinto. I bet Fontas gets another year to find playing time.

So, Maxwell, Bojan, Jeffren and Milito are unlikely to return. Pep has said Botia is being called back, he's the additional left back.

Adding two forwards and a midfielder, at least one will be a real star like Cesc, Sanchez or Rossi. Or Pastore or Llorente. Possible two of that caliber, but I'd be very happy with just one of those 5 or comparable. The other one or two newbies will be of somewhat lessor talent (Afellay types) or younger.

I could certainly see a combination of Ineista and Afellay providing the needed rotation at forward next year, with the new midfielder and Afellay or Thiago providing the needed additional rotation at the offensive midfield spots. Is there any forward in the world who could rotate better with MVP than Iniesta? 15-20 goals for Iniesta next year, playing half his minutes up front.

dalitis8

Banned
Why would we need two forwards?

We don't actually.

We only need one. But a quality one at that.

if xavi gets injured were fucked. all agreed. same with messi, but i dont see everyone here saying we have to try and buy the closest thing to messi, we want different options.. there are enough options in the squad already.

30M+ for a back up is ridiculous, Xavi is 31 not 38.

Cesc is not a back-up dude. He can rotate with both Xavi and Iniesta, or even play with all 3 of them on the pitch (Spain have done it on many occasions) We need to rotate our best players (let alone the ever present possibility of injury) Plus Xavi is 31. We need Cesc asap.

What other options do we have? Thiago is still not on Cesc level, and may never get there. We cannot sit down and prey that he will. We need Cesc. Simple as.

We also need another attacking option. Villa is 30, plus we cannot play MVP every single freakin' game. We need a quality forward. Probably Rossi. He will fit the Barca system like a glove.

rmpcsl

Seems to me Pep just wanna replace/improve/give more experience/quality to the team getting all the positions covered for rotations (but no much money to spend) this is my view:
maxwell leaves - new LB
Bojan leaves - Rossi
Jeffren leaves - Sanchez
Fabregas will rotate with Xavi and maybe Tiago will be the Iniesta sub instead of Keita
next season
Pinto leave - new GK
in 2 years maybe Puyol leaves????
In my opinion the thing we need is use the next summers money in this summer and save it in the next seasons cause with 4/5 new guys like Rossi24 Sanchez22 Cesc24 etc will keep the team young enough for couple of years without big transfers just some La Masia youngster ocasionally.
We really need to sell well our players and IMO try to include them in the transfers but not Thiago, we should offer Hleb Milito Maxwell Henrique Keirrison.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
We don't need any expensive signings imho. If Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol or Messi get injured it's going to be tough no matter who we buy. They're irreplaceable. Thiago has no chance of replacing Xavi or Iniesta, but we should atleast give him his chance, and if he's not up to it, Keita and Afellay are decent enough.

We're going to have to replace Puyol and Xavi in a few years time... and it's going to hurt, regardless.

My ideal summer transfers:
Out: Maxwell, Milito (like them, but them finding other clubs is the best for everyone involved), Henrique, Keirrison, Hleb and possibly Jeffren (but he want's to stay and I like him)
In: Botía, José Angel, Fontás (or loan Fontás out, like we did Botía)

If we want to buy a winger, Lavezzi would be my ideal signing! Not very young, which means he wouldn't stand in the way for talented youngsters, and he's been mint with Messi with NT.

And remember to treat our players well... not selling them like cattle or including them in suspicious deals with shady clubs like Hercules

Last edited:
P

PhilS

I just hope for one new player good enough to play Masch/Keita type of minutes. Best would be a forward, though an offensive midfielder might work.

Then, if Messi, Iniesta or Xavi got hurt, Pep could do what he usually does, move in the next highest skilled player regardless of position. I would bet on this first 11 to win next year's Liga and CL:
Valdes
Alves, Pique, Puyol, Abidal
Messi Busquets Iniesta
Pedro Villa Sanchez

Or, with Masch, Adriano, Rossi or Cesc starting. The only disastrous injury would be to Messi.

fcb1

valdes
alves thiago silva pique abidal ............puyol and adriano on the bench
xavi
fabregas iniesta ............... masch serigio and keita benched
sanchez villa ........... pedro affelay benched
messi .......................with rossi and pastore on the bench lol, meanin we can loan out bojan and tiago, sell milito, henrique, maxwell,hleb and jeffren

im not 100% serious or sober right now

Last edited:
D

DanishCulé

Sell Henrique (5), Keirrison (5), Sanchez (2.5), Soriano (2.5), Hleb (2.5), Milito (2.5), Maxwell (5) and Bojan (20 - With a buy back option). + We have 50 millions to transfers and 12 millions from the Zlatan and Caceres deals. We start to promote Thiago and Fontás. Then we buy Jose Angel (5), Giuseppe Rossi (25) and Sakho (15).

Income: 52 + 50 (the transfer budget)
Expenses: 45
Remaining: 57 millions. Give them to Florentino Perez so he can sack Mourinho.

The final squad:
Line-up: Valdes (Pinto): Alves (Adriano), Puyol (Sakho), Pique (Fontás), Abidal (Angel): Busquets (Mascherano), Xavi (Thiago), Iniesta (Keita): Pedro (Afellay), Messi (Villa) and Rossi (Jeffren).

Reserves: Mino, Montoya, Oriol, dos Santos and Carmona. Go go go!

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans