Barca Transfers and Rumors

Messi983

A lot depends on if we want him, and if the player want us. With 2 more years in contract you can always pressure his club and the new management to sell him rather than risk him being a player with one year left in contract.

There is also the Florentino Luis case, a player who gained value in Liga and lost it in Portugal.

Sporting sales are usually more reasonable than other Portuguese clubs. Only once in their history they have sold a player for over 60M.

If Casado proves a liability, hopefully not, and we went in the market for a CDM, there won't be cheap options anyway.

There are several veterans on expiring contracts that were linked to us.

Yes, younger players won't be cheap but I think for 30-40m we should target someone a bit more proven. We already have our own kids so if we'll spend relatively big money then should be on someone who is better than what we have or at least have higher potential. Essugo has shown promise in a few games for Las Palmas but not sure he's that guy yet. Let's see how he'll do for the rest of this season.

Also, Sporting won't need to sell him if they'll get 150-200m for Gyo, Diomande and/or Inacio and maybe Hjulmand. They can just stick to his clause and see if some club will pay that. But yeah, as you've said mostly depends on what the player wants. Essugo joined Sporting youth system when he was 9 so it's likely he will want to at least play a season or two for their first team before moving on. And staying there would probably also be the best for his development.

Andresito

Staff member
Ya really don't rate Fort? The dude is more than good enough to cover for Kounde a couple of weeks...
We need a LB and cover for RW,LW,ST. Let's get that Egyptian guy actually.
From what he has shown he can suffice in most Liga games. Mingueza is cheap however and is decisive for his team. He's not just a player to fill the XI. If he's good enough or even better fit than Fort I don't know. But we should keep track of how he does for the rest of the season.

Messi983

Oscar started this season well but he is playing mostly as a RM or LM in Celta's 3-5-2. Yes, he played good under Koeman but I don't think he's that good fit for a FB for our current system and he clearly can't play as a winger. We could do worse than him (Gerard, I'm looking at you) as a squad player (signing him would also allow us to send Fort on loan) but I would prefer to get someone with a bit more upside. Oscar is what he is at this point of his career and will never be anything more than a backup. I've already mentioned Amar Dedic but there are surely other similar players available for affordable price.

khaled_a_d

Oscar started this season well but he is playing mostly as a RM or LM in Celta's 3-5-2. Yes, he played good under Koeman but I don't think he's that good fit for a FB for our current system and he clearly can't play as a winger. We could do worse than him (Gerard, I'm looking at you) as a squad player (signing him would also allow us to send Fort on loan) but I would prefer to get someone with a bit more upside. Oscar is what he is at this point of his career and will never be anything more than a backup. I've already mentioned Amar Dedic but there are surely other similar players available for affordable price.

We don't need more than a backup at this point, reliability is more needed than upside.
The team has plenty of young players with upside, to the point that more veterans or players in their prime are needed. And signing a player with potential to be backup rarely works, they need time to develop in most cases.

Messi983

We don't need more than a backup at this point, reliability is more needed than upside.
The team has plenty of young players with upside, to the point that more veterans or players in their prime are needed. And signing a player with potential to be backup rarely works, they need time to develop in most cases.

I meant someone who could challenge Kounde and/or Balde better than our current backups at those positions. Not saying we should sign another 18 yo kid but someone in his early twenties who already has experience playing on a higher level than our kids coming through La Masia.

TheStig

Balde is not some world beater who can't be benched. Kounde is better but even with him I could see a future where he goes back to CB and we sign a more offenisve fullback.

Messi983

BTW, I've just seen on flashscore that Antonito scored for Spain U19 in a friendly vs Romania (1-1 HT). Would be good if we can sign him on a pre-contract in January.

Fort, Cuenca and Prim are starting while Guille is on the bench.

E: Now they've changed it to an own goal.

khaled_a_d

I meant someone who could challenge Kounde and/or Balde better than our current backups at those positions. Not saying we should sign another 18 yo kid but someone in his early twenties who already has experience playing on a higher level than our kids coming through La Masia.

I think everyone would prefer a backup that can compete with the starters, for sure.

But how much they cost? Those will be 25M+

It is easy to claim there are affordable hidden gems elsewhere, and usually there are, but truth is failure rate at those deals are extremely high.

Loki

Barcelona going ‘all out’ for gigantic Erling Haaland transfer, with Man City ace ‘ready to leave’

Yes, his agent starts to play the game to blackmail a huge salary for him like Mbappe got at PSG. Stop dreaming about him, he'll never leave City because no one can compete with these numbers. They just offer him €200m/y for some shit ad in Abu Dhabi and that's it.

khaled_a_d

Yes, his agent starts to play the game to blackmail a huge salary for him like Mbappe got at PSG. Stop dreaming about him, he'll never leave City because no one can compete with these numbers. They just offer him €200m/y for some shit ad in Abu Dhabi and that's it.

tbf, this was the same case with Mbappe at PSG and he still left.

Halaand has the advantage of EPL prestige, and being already a CL winner with them.

OTOH, he had those and still failed to win either Ballon or even the best, so it could be clearer that he needs a move.

I am not saying I think we are getting him, I would prefer if we are expanding our options for Lewa replacement in 2026. But you never say never.

Loki

tbf, this was the same case with Mbappe at PSG and he still left.
First he extended for this insane 100m/y. He left afterwards when he earned enough. Haaland is still on his first contract, so it's comparable to Mbappe getting his first massive contract at PSG.
I don't see anyone refusing a massive first salary that goes into triple numbers per year. When you already have several hundreds of millions, or close to a billion then it's a different story, but Haaland isn't there yet.
And as you said, City isn't PSG and PL isn't League1. So Haaland can stay there for his whole career if he likes english football good enough in combination with a possible salary so high, that we can't offer even a fourth of it.

To me, Haaland's agent will play the game now to increase his salary massively. He will use us as well, so prepare for more "rumors" going forward.

Home of Barca Fans