Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flavia

Maybe my suggestion to sign a CM is not ridiculous now.... Need to give Roberto a chance first though. A fair run of game. Same for Montoya. Not draw conclusions yet, give him regular playing time, give him confidence.

Thiago left because tito wouldn't sit Xavi, and I can't see Tata doing it either... That's currently a big issue.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Thiago left because tito wouldn't sit Xavi, and I can't see Tata doing it either... That's currently a big issue.

Yeah, I agree. It need to be done some way though... :/

We also need to get Puyol in our management, board, whatever position and let him retire or atleast only have him to play a few games and not be a contender for starting spot. We cannot rely on him anymore.

What the team needs-

CBs- Sell Masch/Song. Get Balanta/Dede. Bench Pique. Make Puyol 4th choice. Starting CBs- Bartra and Balanta
Fullbacks- Balanta can play LB. Bench Alba in big games if Dani is playing or play Bartra at RB if Alba is playing. Phase out Dani. Give Montoya more time. Make Alba the main attacking FB.
Midfield- Reduce playtime of Xavi. Buy a strong box to box midfielder like Gundogan(I know thats difficult but we need a player of this mold), make Cesc a starter against bus parking teams. Iniesta to play against high pressing teams. Give Sergi Roberto more time. Sell Song if we will play a lone DM. Try Masch there or get another DM for backup.
Attack- Sell Pedro and Tello. Get a strong forward like Aguero(or any other good forward) who can take on his markers and head the ball. Messi to play behind the striker or on the wings. Messi in the centre is doing us more harm than good these days as we are toothless without him

My take:

Keeper: ter Stegen and 1 other guy in the summer. And it looks like it's going to be ter Stegen and Reina.
Defense: Sell Masch/Song. Get 2 CBs, one in January (Balanta, Dede, Zouma... all good options) and one in the Summer (Mathieu maybe?). Make Pique fight for his spot. Pecking order: January CB/Bartra/Pique (depending on form and whether a kick up Pique's ass makes him consistent) > Summer CB > Puyol. I don't think 4 CBs is enough if one is constantly injured and 35 years old. Agree about the fullbacks. Though we should sign a defensive RB if Montoya leaves.
Midfield: Reduce Xavi's playing time, get someone who can sub in for him and phase him out. Oliver Torres maybe?
Attack: I'm not sure about this one. Maybe get a 9 (preferably one who can also play on the wing so he won't be on the bench ALL the time) who will be willing to sit on the bench in case Messi gets injured and to give us more variety tactically. Or maybe we could do what you suggested: get a starting 9 and move Messi behind the striker or to RW. Or we could try using Alexis as a 9 with Messi on the wing or behind him if/when we need to. As for selling, I'd sell one of Pedro or Tello if Deulofeu's good enough by summer.

Last edited:

Cule4life

The Culest
My take:

Keeper: ter Stegen and 1 other guy in the summer. And it looks like it's going to be ter Stegen and Reina.
Defense: Sell Masch/Song. Get 2 CBs, one in January (Balanta, Dede, Zouma... all good options) and one in the Summer (Mathieu maybe?). Make Pique fight for his spot. Pecking order: January CB/Bartra/Pique (depending on form and whether a kick up Pique's ass makes him consistent) > Summer CB > Puyol. I don't think 4 CBs is enough if one is constantly injured and 35 years old. Agree about the fullbacks.
Midfield: Reduce Xavi's playing time, get someone who can sub in for him and phase him out. Oliver Torres maybe?
Attack: I'm not sure about this one. Maybe get a 9 (preferably one who can also play on the wing so he won't be on the bench ALL the time) who will be willing to sit on the bench in case Messi gets injured and to give us more variety tactically. Or maybe we could do what you suggested and move Messi behind the striker or to RW. Or we could try using Alexis as a 9 with Messi on the wing or behind him if/when we need to.

Yeah i agree Puyol should retire after this season. Maybe Mathieu can be our 4th choice CB if he's willing to sit on the bench. But on merit Pique should be 4th choice.
Keepers- Ter Stegen and Reina are fine. Just dont waste time on Courtois and God forbid no "Courtois or no one else" policy

Regarding Oliver Torres- Atletico will never sell him to us unless we have a first option or pay his release clause. Plus he's way to young and raw to lead our midfield.

mazp

My take:

Defense: Sell Masch/Song. Get 2 CBs, one in January (Balanta, Dede, Zouma... all good options) and one in the Summer (Mathieu maybe?). Make Pique fight for his spot. Pecking order: January CB/Bartra/Pique (depending on form and whether a kick up Pique's ass makes him consistent) > Summer CB > Puyol. I don't think 4 CBs is enough if one is constantly injured and 35 years old. Agree about the fullbacks.
Attack: I'm not sure about this one. Maybe get a 9 (preferably one who can also play on the wing so he won't be on the bench ALL the time) who will be willing to sit on the bench in case Messi gets injured and to give us more variety tactically. Or maybe we could do what you suggested and move Messi behind the striker or to RW. Or we could try using Alexis as a 9 with Messi on the wing or behind him if/when we need to.

I agree with this and others. I just want players who will get the job done and not make you miss the player or players they are in for. If that means spending big in the summer than so be it. Rotations are pointless if there is a big gap in quality. From 1st team players to 2nd team players.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I see none of you are placing importance on our lateral play, and this is a mistake. Among many things, lateral play is important as a release valve out of the back when teams are pressuring you. It is no coincidence the team has struggled with pressure this last 2 games without Dani Alves, declined as he might be.

Our lateral play today was horrendous. Dani Alves is still serviceable but has declined, considerably. Montoya is not the future, IMO. He is average. Alba is one dimensional. And Adriano is also an average player, slightly below average on defense.

Reasonably, you need to think about finding at least 1 starting lateral player.

F

Flavia

Anyone suggesting mathieu, he's bad. I've seen some Valencia's matches, he's too slow.

Sumlit, do you have any names? But Zubi won't be getting anyone.

Samuel Eto'o

What the team needs-

CBs- Sell Masch/Song. Get Balanta/Dede. Bench Pique. Make Puyol 4th choice. Starting CBs- Bartra and Balanta
Fullbacks- Balanta can play LB. Bench Alba in big games if Dani is playing or play Bartra at RB if Alba is playing. Phase out Dani. Give Montoya more time. Make Alba the main attacking FB.
Midfield- Reduce playtime of Xavi. Buy a strong box to box midfielder like Gundogan(I know thats difficult but we need a player of this mold), make Cesc a starter against bus parking teams. Iniesta to play against high pressing teams. Give Sergi Roberto more time. Sell Song if we will play a lone DM. Try Masch there or get another DM for backup.
Attack- Sell Pedro and Tello. Get a strong forward like Aguero(or any other good forward) who can take on his markers and head the ball. Messi to play behind the striker or on the wings. Messi in the centre is doing us more harm than good these days as we are toothless without him

I like your thinking especially in attack

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Anyone suggesting mathieu, he's bad. I've seen some Valencia's matches, he's too slow.

Sumlit, do you have any names? But Zubi won't be getting anyone.

Finding already established players would be difficult, not to mention more costly. However I see young players every day in South American football, that Barcelona should at the very least be keeping an eye on and gambling 2-5M euros to acquire and bring over to test.

Guillermo Varela is a young right back from Uruguay who has a ton of upside. I think he was bought by Man U recently for 2M pounds after the South American youth tournament. He is a good defender that can push forward.

On the left, there are a ton of options. My favorite, a couple of Italian kids who are tall, good with the ball, pacey and very strong defending:

Davide Santon from Newcastle United and Mattia de Sciglio from Milan.

You also have Alex Sandro from Porto, he is a more offensive option, so might as well stick with Alba, but he is very good.

And of course, you can look for the Abidal type, and take a look at Mamadou Sakho. He can play both LB and LCB.

But the point is the team should be doing an entirely better job at scouting different areas and different teams so they can find this diamonds in the rough before they are polished and cost you 30M. Gambling 2M ten times buying youngsters so that maybe 1 turns out world class is far, far better than spending 30M on another because you need to buy him already established from another big club.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Finding already established players would be difficult, not to mention more costly. However I see young players every day in South American football, that Barcelona should at the very least be keeping an eye on and gambling 2-5M euros to acquire and bring over to test.

Guillermo Varela is a young right back from Uruguay who has a ton of upside. I think he was bought by Man U recently for 2M pounds after the South American youth tournament. He is a good defender that can push forward.

On the left, there are a ton of options. My favorite, a couple of Italian kids who are tall, good with the ball, pacey and very strong defending:

Davide Santon from Newcastle United and Mattia de Sciglio from Milan.

You also have Alex Sandro from Porto, he is a more offensive option, so might as well stick with Alba, but he is very good.

And of course, you can look for the Abidal type, and take a look at Mamadou Sakho. He can play both LB and LCB.

But the point is the team should be doing an entirely better job at scouting different areas and different teams so they can find this diamonds in the rough before they are polished and cost you 30M. Gambling 2M ten times buying youngsters so that maybe 1 turns out world class is far, far better than spending 30M on another because you need to buy him already established from another big club.

This is all a very utopian speculation. If a player has potential he usually has many eyes on him already (not saying it's impossible though) and is of course aware of that and will take advantage of that. Such a player would want first team football and a fat paycheck, could we offer that? Not really, they've seen what happens to many young players in Barca. So what would be your plan, bring in 3 young promising RB's and what? Give them very low wages and playing them in Barca B - when they can earn 3 times as much playing for Newcastle, Monaco or Wolfsburg and know that they have a chance on a first team spot and that they believe in them?Because if we just take a gamble on half-promising players (because please believe that the wonderkids have many eyes on them) it's just a waste of time. You talk about not looking at established players, than you mention de Sciglio, Santon and Sakho - a couple of the most talked about and promising defenders the last 2-3 years...

Last edited:

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
This is all a very utopian speculation. If a player has potential he usually has many eyes on him already (not saying it's impossible though) and is of course aware of that and will take advantage of that. Such a player would want first team football and a fat paycheck, could we offer that? Not really, they've seen what happens to many young players in Barca. So what would be your plan, bring in 3 young promising RB's and what? Give them very low wages and playing them in Barca B - when they can earn 3 times as much playing for Newcastle, Monaco or Wolfsburg and know that they have a chance on a first team spot and that they believe in them?Because if we just take a gamble on half-promising players (because please believe that the wonderkids have many eyes on them) it's just a waste of time. You talk about not looking at established players, than you mention de Sciglio, Santon and Sakho - a couple of the most talked about and promising defenders the last 2-3 years...

If you scout them and buy them when they are 17-18 years old, you need not pay big for them, nor pay them large wages. You can also arrange a short contract that will allow you to unload the player if he doesn't pan out, and would also allow the player to leave if he does not like the situation.

There will always be competition, but that should never dissuade the team from pursuing these players. A young player will without a doubt take slightly less money to play for Barcelona, than to play for Newcastle, Monaco, Wolfsburg, specially if you allow them exit avenues if they do not feel their future is to their liking.

None of the players I mentioned are truly established players. They are all rising, promising players, but none are established as stars in the world. They are no longer obscure, but they are not established. No one is going to pay 20-30M for any of these players, except perhaps Sakho, and that is a HUGE maybe.

Co0ter

My take:

Defense: Sell Masch/Song. Get 2 CBs, one in January (Balanta, Dede, Zouma... all good options) and one in the Summer (Mathieu maybe?). Make Pique fight for his spot. Pecking order: January CB/Bartra/Pique (depending on form and whether a kick up Pique's ass makes him consistent) > Summer CB > Puyol. I don't think 4 CBs is enough if one is constantly injured and 35 years old. Agree about the fullbacks. Though we should sign a defensive RB if Montoya leaves.
Attack: I'm not sure about this one. Maybe get a 9 (preferably one who can also play on the wing so he won't be on the bench ALL the time) who will be willing to sit on the bench in case Messi gets injured and to give us more variety tactically. Or maybe we could do what you suggested: get a starting 9 and move Messi behind the striker or to RW. Or we could try using Alexis as a 9 with Messi on the wing or behind him if/when we need to. As for selling, I'd sell one of Pedro or Tello if Deulofeu's good enough by summer.

I agree with some of that. Xavi is not the same player anymore, he hasn't been for a few seasons now- it's especially showing this year. He doesn't/can't press, is slow and doesn't have the vision to find the pass quite like he used to. Honestly, it's surprising to me because vision/passing is usually something players retain even with age.

I've been saying to move Messi to the right, however with a lot of freedom, since we got knocked out by Chelsea two seasons ago. You can't just remove a player that scores 50+ goals from his position though and replace him with Sanchez (not a natural goal-scorer at all) or any other striker on our team for that matter. If you're going to move Messi you need to fill the middle with truly a world-class striking talent- a mobile, tough GOAL-SCORER. An Eto'o in his prime- as close as you can get anyway. There aren't many- I would of liked Falcao, Suarez would be amazing- no one can deny his ability, work-rate or desire to win.

For defense, long story short- Montoya isn't good enough, Pique isn't as awful as everyone is saying because honestly every single other defender besides Barta and Adriano. Adriano for the most part usually puts out a balanced performance for me- he's not going to do an awesome job attacking or defending, but he's solid and that's a lot better than our other defenders the past few years.

Last edited:

BarçAjax8

I agree with some of that. Xavi is not the same player anymore, he hasn't been for a few seasons now- it's especially showing this year. He doesn't/can't press, is slow and doesn't have the vision to find the pass quite like he used to. Honestly, it's surprising to me because vision/passing is usually something players retain even with age.

I've been saying to move Messi to the right, however with a lot of freedom, since we got knocked out by Chelsea two seasons ago. You can't just remove a player that scores 50+ goals from his position though and replace him with Sanchez (not a natural goal-scorer at all) or any other striker on our team for that matter. If you're going to move Messi you need to fill the middle with truly a world-class striking talent- a mobile, tough GOAL-SCORER. An Eto'o in his prime- as close as you can get anyway. There aren't many- I would of liked Falcao, Suarez would be amazing- no one can deny his ability, work-rate or desire to win.

For defense, long story short- Montoya isn't good enough, Pique isn't as awful as everyone is saying because honestly every single other defender besides Barta and Adriano. Adriano for the most part usually puts out a balanced performance for me- he's not going to do an awesome job attacking or defending, but he's solid and that's a lot better than our other defenders the past few years.

I agree. The team was never reinvigorated after Pep's departure and that is why we're suffering now. I've already said it so many times that our past success is hindering us from building a successful future. A few questions do come up with who we should and should not get. I personally don't like Neymar-Messi-Alexis because they are similar, they don't swap positions enough, they bring the same things to the table although Messi does those things better than both combined. I also don't like 2 small attack minded R/L backs. Jordi Alba is far better than Alves/Montoya going forward and tracks back well so he should start. Pique is a leader in defense, he just isn't surrounded by the right line currently. It's best to have a "builder" & "destroyer" CB pair so it would be down to form between Pique & Bartra.

Sell: Mascherano, Dani Alves, Afellay, Bojan, JDS & depending how he recovers either Cuenca or Tello
Buy: ter Stegen, Balanta, van Rhijn, Oliver Torres, Lewandowski (in Jan)
Promote: Masip, Bagnack

ter Stegen
v.Rhijn - Pique - Balanta - Alba
Torres - Busquets - Iniesta
Messi - Lewandowski - Neymar

Subs: Pinto, Masip, Bartra, Bagnack, Puyol, Montoya, Adriano, Song, Xavi, Roberto, Cesc, Rafinha, Deulofeu, Alexis, Pedro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans