Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barcelona are considering to sign a centre back in January. Martino will decide. Options: David Luiz, Vergini, Hummels, Agger, Balanta [md]

Bring Sideshow home! :rosell:

Balanta would be the best choice out of those. Hummels is not happening (and he's cup tied), I doubt Agger would leave mid season or that Liverpool would let him go, and as for Luiz... 30m for a cup-tied Chelsea reject? No thanks. Which leaves Balanta and Vergini, and Balanta's much younger. And I don't really like the idea of getting a 25 year old nobody from South America (though it did pay off for Milan with TS...).

For those of you who've watched Balanta play, how good is he? Do you think he'd be a top young CB if he came to Europe?

DinhoR10

Maybe we should try and sign Wenger seeing that he's managed to get a squad together at a fraction of the price of ours and they are playing the Barca way better than we are . Last night they were mind blowing to watch

We dont spend THAT much money especially when you consider neymar and ozil cost about the same while we sold Villa + Thiago. And give it time we'll be fine in a while a half fit messi single-handedly carried us to the semi finals last year thats the sort of once in a decade talent that only we have at our disposal. All we need is some quality back up.

Zincubus

Banned
We dont spend THAT much money especially when you consider neymar and ozil cost about the same while we sold Villa + Thiago. And give it time we'll be fine in a while a half fit messi single-handedly carried us to the semi finals last year thats the sort of once in a decade talent that only we have at our disposal. All we need is some quality back up.

Compare the spending over the last ten years !

I just hope we don't meet Arsenal anytime soon .

Howes

Who is this Balanta? Seriously I've never heard of him and I carn't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing :)

Zincubus

Banned
As to rumours . One of Saurez's entourage has said this morning that he's 100% coming to La Liga in the Summer .

Maybe he will end up here . I'd rather see him alongside Messi and Neymar rather than Ronaldo and Bale ( starting to sweat a little ).

DinhoR10

Compare the spending over the last ten years !

I just hope we don't meet Arsenal anytime soon .

Most likely we won't meet them until quarters if we even meet up there. If we lose to Celtic and AC take first then we might meet them at the round of 16 but messi will be back by then so no worries.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Maybe we should try and sign Wenger seeing that he's managed to get a squad together at a fraction of the price of ours and they are playing the Barca way better than we are . Last night they were mind blowing to watch

Arsenal this season is looking very good, but just last year they were a disaster. Wenger has been very and long criticized for that same frugality you are praising. Ozil has completely changed the face of that team, and it came from exactly the opposite of what Wenger was known for, they buckled down and splashed the big bucks to get him.

Cule4life

The Culest
Arsenal this season is looking very good, but just last year they were a disaster. Wenger has been very and long criticized for that same frugality you are praising. Ozil has completely changed the face of that team, and it came from exactly the opposite of what Wenger was known for, they buckled down and splashed the big bucks to get him.

Not to mention the unforgettable "40m+1"

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
The problem with this team is just awful mismanagement. It has been going on for over 3 years. It started the last year of Pep.

When Villa got injured, they should have bought a world class striker then and there. They could have bought Aguero then. They could have bought Suarez then. Mismanagement and nearsightedness.

When Puyol started getting injured, they should have bought a world class CB then. They could have bought Thiago Silva then, they could have bought David Luiz then. Mismanagement and nearsightedness.

When Pique started playing out of form, they should have found a young player to bring competition. They could have bought Vertonghen then. Mismanagement and nearsightedness.

They should have better handled and planned the succession of key aging players like Xavi and Alves. A better management of Thiago. A timely acquisition of Alves' replacement. Mismanagement and nearsightedness.

They should have handled cantera players better. Gotten rid of those not in your long term plans, instead of stringing them along. Managed better those you evaluated to be in your plans going forward. They are right there in your backyard, if you cannot ascertain which are keepers and which are goners, what the hell are you doing evaluating talent? Incompetence, mismanagement and nearsightedness.

These are just but a few. They have piled and piled and piled on all these issues like a student who just leaves studying and homework to the last day before the test and attempts to cram all content in one night and ends up stressed, sleepless and flunking.

Just speaks volumes as to the level of mismanagement and nearsightedness that permeates the management of this team, when you are now attempting, at an incredibly increased difficulty and cost, to get the very same players you could have gotten years ago if only you had done your jobs better.

i_bleed_blaugrana

That was beautiful. :cry:

I'm curious to hear your opinions on the midfield for next season though, what with Rafinha coming back and Denis getting automatically promoted.

Our MF situation is rather complex and there are a lot of different ways we can approach it. At DM, we are fine. Hopefully with Luiz in the squad, we could promote Masch to the MF and we would have three DMs we could rotate between Busi, Song and Masch. Busi potentially can be our starting DM for the remainder of the decade. His more tactical and cerebral approach to DM means he doesn't have to put his body on the line as much as a "Makelele" style DM does, meaning he suffers less injuries and can prolong his career. With his style of play, Busi is the kind of player who will continue to improve the older he gets, so in that realm we are fine.

Its our AM situation that complicates things. IMO, the goal of Tata and Zubi is to find a player who complements Cesc since he will be our MF general soon. Personally, I think Sergi complements Cesc perfectly as he is more willing to do the defensive dirty work and can bring the ball out from deeper in the MF effectively, exactly what Cesc needs. So in other words, our goal needs to be to get Sergi-Cesc on the same sort of understanding as Xavi-Iniesta. So while that's fine and dandy on one hand, on the other hand I am a bit worried about Iniesta. As Xavi continues to age and slow down, Iniesta needs to evolve his game to where he is less reliant on his telepathy with Xavi. At this point in time, Iniesta and Cesc are competing for the same role and imo, we should favor Cesc over Iniesta currently. Perhaps Iniesta could transition into playing Xavi's role to allow Cesc freedom to attack, but this would force Iniesta to play deeper and track back more, something that isn't a natural part of his game. So Iniesta's role in the future is very uncertain, and he might have to make some personal sacrifices to his style for the sake of the team.

From there forward, its anyones guess. In an ideal world, Sergi-Cesc starts becoming the starting AMs next season with Xavi-Iniesta rotating in from there. As far as how Rafinha and Denis Suarez will fit in, they are both still really young and its hard to project how they will fit in next season because a lot of it has to do with how they develop this season.

Another wildcard that I am going to throw in is Thiago. Don't be surprised if around 2016 you start hearing rumors of Thiago returning, and this is all due to Pep. If Laporta runs his campaign on getting Pep back and gets elected, don't be surprised if return sagas for both Pep and Thiago start coming down the pipes. I for one don't expect Thiago to excel at Bayern (his injury right when he got there was a huge setback for him being successful there) and if Pep leaves, Thiago will go too. While some might say "He's a traitor, we should never welcome him back," I for one think in his shoes he made a very rational decision and didn't blame him at all for leaving and if the conditions were right, we should definitely try to get him back.

In sum, we need to build our future MF around Cesc. If we can find a MF who can complement his style well, the Xaviniesta hangover will be killed and we can usher in our next era. Personally I think either Sergi or Thiago would be ideal candidates and as long as we start trying to do this now, theres no reason why Sergi can't develop into what we need.

Barcelona are considering to sign a centre back in January. Martino will decide. Options: David Luiz, Vergini, Hummels, Agger, Balanta [md]

Bring Sideshow home! :rosell:

I've never seen Balanta play so I can't cast too much judgement on him. Still, would rather have Luiz mainly due to him already being accustomed to the European game but I wouldn't be against a shrewd signing like Balanta as long as he is quality. Buying players who are outside of Europe is always a high risk/high reward situation and while he is more expensive and cup tied, Luiz just seems like a safer bet.

B

beautifulgame

Balanta would be the best choice out of those. Hummels is not happening (and he's cup tied), I doubt Agger would leave mid season or that Liverpool would let him go, and as for Luiz... 30m for a cup-tied Chelsea reject? No thanks. Which leaves Balanta and Vergini, and Balanta's much younger. And I don't really like the idea of getting a 25 year old nobody from South America (though it did pay off for Milan with TS...).

For those of you who've watched Balanta play, how good is he? Do you think he'd be a top young CB if he came to Europe?

There are better players than Balanta, honestly. Argentina isn't the place I'd be looking for CB at this time, today unless it was in Boca. However, Balanta is a bulldog and can come in to play a stopper role to fill in for Puyol. I would like Luiz though even though he needs to sort some things out a bit.

Zincubus

Banned
Our MF situation is rather complex and there are a lot of different ways we can approach it. At DM, we are fine. Hopefully with Luiz in the squad, we could promote Masch to the MF and we would have three DMs we could rotate between Busi, Song and Masch. Busi potentially can be our starting DM for the remainder of the decade. His more tactical and cerebral approach to DM means he doesn't have to put his body on the line as much as a "Makelele" style DM does, meaning he suffers less injuries and can prolong his career. With his style of play, Busi is the kind of player who will continue to improve the older he gets, so in that realm we are fine.

Its our AM situation that complicates things. IMO, the goal of Tata and Zubi is to find a player who complements Cesc since he will be our MF general soon. Personally, I think Sergi complements Cesc perfectly as he is more willing to do the defensive dirty work and can bring the ball out from deeper in the MF effectively, exactly what Cesc needs. So in other words, our goal needs to be to get Sergi-Cesc on the same sort of understanding as Xavi-Iniesta. So while that's fine and dandy on one hand, on the other hand I am a bit worried about Iniesta. As Xavi continues to age and slow down, Iniesta needs to evolve his game to where he is less reliant on his telepathy with Xavi. At this point in time, Iniesta and Cesc are competing for the same role and imo, we should favor Cesc over Iniesta currently. Perhaps Iniesta could transition into playing Xavi's role to allow Cesc freedom to attack, but this would force Iniesta to play deeper and track back more, something that isn't a natural part of his game. So Iniesta's role in the future is very uncertain, and he might have to make some personal sacrifices to his style for the sake of the team.

From there forward, its anyones guess. In an ideal world, Sergi-Cesc starts becoming the starting AMs next season with Xavi-Iniesta rotating in from there. As far as how Rafinha and Denis Suarez will fit in, they are both still really young and its hard to project how they will fit in next season because a lot of it has to do with how they develop this season.

Another wildcard that I am going to throw in is Thiago. Don't be surprised if around 2016 you start hearing rumors of Thiago returning, and this is all due to Pep. If Laporta runs his campaign on getting Pep back and gets elected, don't be surprised if return sagas for both Pep and Thiago start coming down the pipes. I for one don't expect Thiago to excel at Bayern (his injury right when he got there was a huge setback for him being successful there) and if Pep leaves, Thiago will go too. While some might say "He's a traitor, we should never welcome him back," I for one think in his shoes he made a very rational decision and didn't blame him at all for leaving and if the conditions were right, we should definitely try to get him back.

In sum, we need to build our future MF around Cesc. If we can find a MF who can complement his style well, the Xaviniesta hangover will be killed and we can usher in our next era. Personally I think either Sergi or Thiago would be ideal candidates and as long as we start trying to do this now, theres no reason why Sergi can't develop into what we need.

I've never seen Balanta play so I can't cast too much judgement on him. Still, would rather have Luiz mainly due to him already being accustomed to the European game but I wouldn't be against a shrewd signing like Balanta as long as he is quality. Buying players who are outside of Europe is always a high risk/high reward situation and while he is more expensive and cup tied, Luiz just seems like a safer bet.

Busqs is my favourite Barca player but he's on record as saying that he won't carry on playing for too much longer . Think he said early thirties at best .

For options I'd consider Cazorla or Ramsey at the moment !

DinhoR10

We don't need to buy anyone in my opinion. Not with the midfield quality we have coming up Suarez,Rafinha,Espionsa,Samper. Buying more players would just force these players out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans