Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flavia

Abidal was a fine player for Barca, but as a fullback, he contributed very little to the offense. Only Alves' extreme offensive orientation allowed Barca to have the other FB be so defensive. Having a FB/CB combo player on the squad again would add flexibility, but you need to be a very fine offensive player to be the regular FB on this team, especially if Alves leaves. I'm a big Bartra fan, but if he is going to have a second position on this club, I think DM would be more likely than FB. I have never seen him put in a cross, for instance. This is pretty high on the list of essential FB skills.

Alba is offensive. That's why Bartra at rb would have a similar role, as Abidal did. The combo Alves/Alba is leaving the defense exposed at times.

G

Gascav

I still think that we have not caught up with the rest of europe yet. The other ucl title contenders have been busy adding steel and creativity to their midfield, ball playing ability and better defense, a pressing and lethal forward line. So far i think we have fallen behind in almost all the three areas. Our defense is better but still you can not rely them completely. They can have a good match today then screw ihe next one. Crosses, quick counters and SET PIECES are still our disease.
Our midfield lacks steel and the creativity it used to have is decreasing sharply because xavi is aging, iniesta has become inconsistent. And yt we wonder why messi drops deep in matches. It is because the midfield is not supportive and lacks sharpness.
The forward line is a litltle improved in lethal finishing, but we lack that pressing from messi and we lack the ability to score from set pieces and crosses when teams crowd the center. I really hope for ucl but we gotta improve in those areas. For a team to be creative there is no need to have all players as technical midgets!!! Look at psg for instance. They play better than last year and why?? Because they improved those areas.

Teams that succeed with two attacking full backs play a double pivot to cover them. We are overloading busquets with responsibility at the moment

Maria

Abidal was a fine player for Barca, but as a fullback, he contributed very little to the offense. Only Alves' extreme offensive orientation allowed Barca to have the other FB be so defensive. Having a FB/CB combo player on the squad again would add flexibility, but you need to be a very fine offensive player to be the regular FB on this team, especially if Alves leaves. I'm a big Bartra fan, but if he is going to have a second position on this club, I think DM would be more likely than FB. I have never seen him put in a cross, for instance. This is pretty high on the list of essential FB skills.

You do know that we have Alba as our LB, don't you? Or that in 2009 we played in the CL final with Puyol as RB? So if Puyol could play for us as RB or LB and Abidal as LB, why wouldn't Bartra be able to do the same thing, especially when he's more creative than those 2?
And what makes you think that Bartra would be a good DM for us?

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Honestly, the reason our defense is exposed is not because we have two attacking fullbacks, it's because those fullbacks are making stupid mistakes. Sure, there are times when they're out of position, but that happens with any and every attacking fullback in the world, not just ours. Just look at the game against Valencia; Alves and Alba were normally in position, they just messed up their challenges, let the attacker through, and then were out of position because they got dribbled. But the whole idea of two attacking fullbacks = bad is, in my opinion, ludicrous.

F

Flavia

Honestly, the reason our defense is exposed is not because we have two attacking fullbacks, it's because those fullbacks are making stupid mistakes. Sure, there are times when they're out of position, but that happens with any and every attacking fullback in the world, not just ours. Just look at the game against Valencia; Alves and Alba were normally in position, they just messed up their challenges, let the attacker through, and then were out of position because they got dribbled. But the whole idea of two attacking fullbacks = bad is, in my opinion, ludicrous.

The chances they'll be out of position is bigger, with 2 attacking fullbacks, in both sides. They need a lot of discipline to avoid that.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
You don't need a lot of discipline, you just look over at the other end of the field to see if the other fullback is attacking and react appropriately.

F

Flavia

You don't need a lot of discipline, you just look over at the other end of the field to see if the other fullback is attacking and react appropriately.

That's a bit simplistic. During the matches both of them bomb together, so they need the discipline to look and get back. They sometimes don't do that. And then a counter breaks and the flanks are empty.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
That's a bit simplistic. During the matches both of them bomb together, so they need the discipline to look and get back. They sometimes don't do that. And then a counter breaks and the flanks are empty.

They should play like they did against AC Milan in the 4-0. Alba was a lot more conservative that game and timed his runs a lot more carefully. And Alves was classic Alves.

PhilS

You do know that we have Alba as our LB, don't you? Or that in 2009 we played in the CL final with Puyol as RB? So if Puyol could play for us as RB or LB and Abidal as LB, why wouldn't Bartra be able to do the same thing, especially when he's more creative than those 2?
And what makes you think that Bartra would be a good DM for us?

I don't know if he would be a good DM for Barca, I really think he should just play CB, he checks all the boxes for a Barca CB. Like all players suited to play CB for Barca, he has the full complement of DM skills. He likes going forward, and has really good speed for a CB, tackles well in the open field, can make the aggressive long passes.

The jury is still out for playing both Alba and Alves in the first 11. Alba was like a zombie on defense last weekend, and Alves just cannot cover the far post when he has to squeeze in and help out the CBs. Neither is much help defending corners.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
I don't know if he would be a good DM for Barca, I really think he should just play CB, he checks all the boxes for a Barca CB. Like all players suited to play CB for Barca, he has the full complement of DM skills. He likes going forward, and has really good speed for a CB, tackles well in the open field, can make the aggressive long passes.

The jury is still out for playing both Alba and Alves in the first 11. Alba was like a zombie on defense last weekend, and Alves just cannot cover the far post when he has to squeeze in and help out the CBs. Neither is much help defending corners.

I agree. We finally have found a good, young centerback. Why would you want him to convert to being a rightback? We have Montoya, who if he can get back to the level he showed under Tito, will be great. And we have Godswill and Campins coming up.

That being said, I wouldn't mind Barta covering for rightback once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans