Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainsaw

Killahead
10M is at least 5M too many for a backup GK, specially under Barcelona's current circumstances. If Madrid can get Diego Lopez for 3.5M, then Barcelona should not spend a single penny more. Which is why I am concerned. I can see the team spending a lot for this signing, in a moment when they must, must make smart decisions.

Getting a backup GK is not what is bothering me. I agree the peace of mind a quality backup brings is a huge plus. However Barcelona is looking at a significant investment in players this season in order to regain their edge. That cannot be overstated enough. The team needs so serious influx of talent. Spending 10M for a backup player who will likely see very, very limited minutes is not smart resource management. These kind of transactions add up and take away from others.

You are still overreacting. Barca needs a quality second GK. Much more than they need a winger or a CM. Spending less than 10m for a quality back up GK is not as big of a deal as you make out of it. I don't even think GKs like Guaita, Julio Cesar and Pepe Reina cost anything close to 5m. No big deal spending that much for any of 'em.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
You are still overreacting. Barca needs a quality second GK. Much more than they need a winger or a CM. Spending less than 10m for a quality back up GK is not as big of a deal as you make out of it. I don't even think GKs like Guaita, Julio Cesar and Pepe Reina cost anything close to 5m. No big deal spending that much for any of 'em.

I disagree entirely, specially about the needing a CM less. A backup GK might play 10% of the available minutes, if at all. Meanwhile Barcelona absolutely needs a starting CM and IMHO needs upgrade at the forward line.

A quality veteran backup GK can be had for a reasonable fee, however I have very little faith this Barcelona board is capable of such a deal, hence my worry. Pepe Reina specially is a landmine. He'd be a good addition, which is exactly the issue as this Barcelona board is notorious for falling in love with players and attempting to and/or succeeding in overpaying for them.

I would be upset, but not shocked if Barcelona payed 10M fee for Reina to backup GK on top of eating his considerable salary.

khaled_a_d

I think a good 2nd keeper is vital. This season showed it. Valdes got injured, Barça season was over. Willy would be cheaper than reina, smaller wages as well. And knows the liga, the players. Would help MAtS integrate.
Masip is promising, but it's too risk to rely on him.

And if zubi is smart, he'll spend this year's and next year's budget. There is the possibility the ban will return. Better safe than sorry.

11 years with VV and it is only this season that has shown it
look I won't mind 1 good 2nd GK but I gotta agree with Sumlit on this topic ,an acceptable GK like Masip can take the spot this year as bigger needs are there

JamDav1982

I disagree entirely, specially about the needing a CM less. A backup GK might play 10% of the available minutes, if at all. Meanwhile Barcelona absolutely needs a starting CM and IMHO needs upgrade at the forward line.

A quality veteran backup GK can be had for a reasonable fee, however I have very little faith this Barcelona board is capable of such a deal, hence my worry. Pepe Reina specially is a landmine. He'd be a good addition, which is exactly the issue as this Barcelona board is notorious for falling in love with players and attempting to and/or succeeding in overpaying for them.

I would be upset, but not shocked if Barcelona payed 10M fee for Reina to backup GK on top of eating his considerably salary.

What players have this board fallen in love with and over payed for them?

Almost all the signings in the past 3/4 seasons were made for players that could have gone elsewhere for more money.

serghei

What goal are you talking about? The Diego goal in the 1-1 Camp Nou tie? There was very little Pinto could have done there, that was just a great strike.

I agree with your second point, but again, there plenty more vital needs on the team and they're going to be hard pressed to get the resources to fill them as it is. Other needs should very much precede getting a 2nd keeper, specially when you have serviceable option in Pinto and Masip.

Oh, please. Not one of the best 50 goalkeepers in the world would have conceded that. Schwarzer saved more dangerous shots last night. It was a 35m shot and Pinto took ages to react.

khaled_a_d

Only 8 GKs has ever costed more than 8M ,you are saying 10M like they aren't a lot but fact is that is a lot of money for a GK .

Chainsaw

Killahead

I would be upset, but not shocked if Barcelona payed 10M fee for Reina to backup GK on top of eating his considerable salary.

A starting CM in the place of whom exactly?! You do know Xavi will be here to be the first team player? You want that starting CM to arrive and yet what to do with Xavi? It'll be a Cesc saga all over again. The people defending that move where kept going on and on about how Xavi needs a replacement and all and yet after 3 years Xavi is still a starter and Cesc is just an extra headache for the coaches and the fans to deal with. Barca should go for a starting CM only when Xavi is out of here. As long as he's here the only potential move should be for a backup CM. And I don't find a back up CM quite as expensive as going for someone like Vidal.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Any keeper the team would be willing to trust with rotational duties and/or Copa del Rey responsibility will cost you a moderate amount of resources. It is not a smart and efficient use of resources to spend them on a second keeper for that role, when the team is in such dire need of reinforcement across the board.

Trust Stegen and trust either Pinto for one more season, or your cantera standout who is having a very solid season in Masip.

Edit. Don't get me wrong though, I agree with your points. I just don't think right now it is smart to waste limited resources on a 2nd keeper.

Look, we're all entitled to our opinions and you make a good argument but I think it's quibbling over small numbers really...A club like Barcelona, in this era, needs a legitimate backup keeper - especially to platoon with the unproven yet talented young German...When you consider how much money was spent on Neymar or other targets, a difference of 3-6 million is not a deal breaker, IMO

Plus, we have to accept that Barcelona gets fleeced in a lot of transfers when the need is high - I think on the one hand we're quite lucky getting Ter Stegen for as little as we are...Especially with the transfer ban still looming outside of the appeal...A CB, a world class one, is going to cost and that quibbling cost us players like Marquinhos & T.Silva...I think a few million more for a sound backup is a good plan and, personally, I'd like it to be Reina...He's a club player and is a leader...plus, he seems to be happy with the mentoring role if he can return home

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
A starting CM in the place of whom exactly?! You do know Xavi will be here to be the first team player? You want that starting CM to arrive and yet what to do with Xavi? It'll be a Cesc saga all over again. The people defending that move where kept going on and on about how Xavi needs a replacement and all and yet after 3 years Xavi is still a starter and Cesc is just an extra headache for the coaches and the fans to deal with. Barca should go for a starting CM only when Xavi is out of here. As long as he's here the only potential move should be for a backup CM. And I don't find a back up CM quite as expensive as going for someone like Vidal.

If you still think Xavi is capable of being the everyday starting CM for this team, then get ready for more disappointment next year. The fact that Cesc has not been good enough to take his spot is a indictment on Cesc, not an endorsement of Xavi. Barcelona are in desperate need of an upgrade at CM.

Kohe321

Pinto stood on his heels and took pitter-patter steps to his left before truly reacting and throwing himself after the ball had already traveled 50% of the distance to goal. I was furious when the goal went in, because he could and should have saved it. Awesome strike, but saveable.

JamDav1982

Barcelona got Neymar for less than other clubs were willing to pay and that includes all the added on fees.

They would get their money back on Neymar tomorrow if they wanted it.

If you sold Cesc, Alba, Song and Sanchez you would get very close if not more than you paid for them. All these players could have went to other clubs but their desire to play for Barca meant Barca paid LESS than other clubs were willing to.

Even Hallilovic recently has signed for Barca when reported that other clubs wanted to pay more, Ter Stegen also.

Compare that to the last couple of summers of the last regime where they must have wasted close to 100m in transfer fees on untested young players and over paying for established stars at the wrong age.

This is not a board v board debate but this board in terms of losing money in transfer deals has improved on the few years before them.

If anything this board maybe SHOULD have been willing to pay a bit more for players needed.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Look, we're all entitled to our opinions and you make a good argument but I think it's quibbling over small numbers really...A club like Barcelona, in this era, needs a legitimate backup keeper - especially to platoon with the unproven yet talented young German...When you consider how much money was spent on Neymar or other targets, a difference of 3-6 million is not a deal breaker, IMO

Plus, we have to accept that Barcelona gets fleeced in a lot of transfers when the need is high - I think on the one hand we're quite lucky getting Ter Stegen for as little as we are...Especially with the transfer ban still looming outside of the appeal...A CB, a world class one, is going to cost and that quibbling cost us players like Marquinhos & T.Silva...I think a few million more for a sound backup is a good plan and, personally, I'd like it to be Reina...He's a club player and is a leader...plus, he seems to be happy with the mentoring role if he can return home

Problem is the team is in a spot where they're going to need anywhere from 5-8 new players this season. They don't have unlimited resources so they must make the most of their money and they must get their priorities straight. Pepe Reina on salary alone is a huge resource sink. He'd have to come on a free transfer for it to be an efficient transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans