Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I wasn't arguing against your point Neymar from a marketing standpoint is very valuable especially with the world cup coming up so clubs would have paid alot more than we did for him but Sumlit said that they bought him to strengthen the squad which if true I find really incompetent.

If they only bought him as a marketing gimmick, then we have much more serious problems at hand.

JamDav1982

I wasn't arguing against your point Neymar from a marketing standpoint is very valuable especially with the world cup coming up so clubs would have paid alot more than we did for him but Sumlit said that they bought him to strengthen the squad which if true I find really incompetent.

Not really unless you think that in buying him it did not allow them to strengthen other areas.

It was a case of now or never for Neymar, if they wanted him it had to be last summer. It will be ten years down the line before we know how good a decision that is.

They were still wanting to sign a CB for example but were too particular and not wanting to spend the money for the players they had highlighted. Not wanting to spend the money not being based on having not enough but not feeling they were getting value. Which may have been an error.

Cule4life

The Culest
What Neymar is worth is meaningless right now JamDav. They did not buy Neymar in order to flip him for a profit. They bought him to strengthen the club, and on that, they grossly overspent.

You should know better than to argue with Jamdav

F

Flavia

11 years with VV and it is only this season that has shown it
look I won't mind 1 good 2nd GK but I gotta agree with Sumlit on this topic ,an acceptable GK like Masip can take the spot this year as bigger needs are there

It's not VV who's gonna be the starter next season. It's a very young gk. It'd be really prudent to have a quality backup, this time around.

JamDav1982

To which I told you that they did, in fact, grossly overspend for Neymar, regardless of the allegedly willingness of others to also overspend for him.

As I said we will see in next ten years if they overspent on him. I think it will prove great business in the long run.

Do you think they could get their money back for Neymar right now?

DinhoR10

If they only bought him as a marketing gimmick, then we have much more serious problems at hand.

Of course we do, golden generation players have too much power over this team and when i say golden generation I mean Xavi he's not good enough to command a starting spot ahead of thiago but the loyalty showed to him let the best La Masia product since Messi/Busquets to leave for peanuts if we were going to sell him he should have gone for atleast 50mill.

Not really unless you think that in buying him it did not allow them to strengthen other areas.

It was a case of now or never for Neymar, if they wanted him it had to be last summer. It will be ten years down the line before we know how good a decision that is.

They were still wanting to sign a CB for example but were too particular and not wanting to spend the money for the players they had highlighted. Not wanting to spend the money not being based on having not enough but not feeling they were getting value. Which may have been an error.

I dont think not buying a CB was an error in the long run, if we got hummels or another already established cb Bartra would not have been able to get the time to shine like he did and might have left for greener pastures. Whats better than a world class cb? A world class cb we didnt pay for. Not saying he is one yet but he will be in 2-3 years.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
As I said we will see in next ten years if they overspent on him. I think it will prove great business in the long run.

Do you think they could get their money back for Neymar right now?

He might yet prove to be worth the amount payed, but IMO if you need several years to justify your fee, you're already at a disadvantage. Though I do think Neymar is a good player and will be a good player for years.

And no, I don't think Barcelona can get their money back if they sold him right now, specially since we might never know the total extent of his cost.

JamDav1982

He might yet prove to be worth the amount payed, but IMO if you need several years to justify your fee, you're already at a disadvantage. Though I do think Neymar is a good player and will be a good player for years.

And no, I don't think Barcelona can get their money back if they sold him right now, specially since we might never know the total extent of his cost.

Well I disagree and think there a number of clubs that would take Neymar off Barcas hands for what they paid for him.

Of course Neymar will take years to justify his fee. His fee is based on what he brings on and off the pitch over a number of years and thats what other clubs would pay for.

You seem to think that the club paid over the market value for Neymar, I disagree as the market value is determined on what other clubs are willing to pay.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I dont think not buying a CB was an error in the long run, if we got hummels or another already established cb Bartra would not have been able to get the time to shine like he did and might have left for greener pastures. Whats better than a world class cb? A world class cb we didnt pay for. Not saying he is one yet but he will be in 2-3 years.

Bartra is not a world class CB. He is a good player but it is far too soon to go world class on him. Not buying a CB last season was definitely a mistake, regardless of the extra experience it afforded the youngster.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Well I disagree and think there a number of clubs that would take Neymar off Barcas hands for what they paid for him.

Of course Neymar will take years to justify his fee. His fee is based on what he brings on and off the pitch over a number of years and thats what other clubs would pay for.

You seem to think that the club paid over the market value for Neymar, I disagree as the market value is determined on what other clubs are willing to pay.

I did not say they payed over market value. I said they overpaid on actual value, specially considering those same resources could have been better allocated on more efficient, varied and probably more productive assets.

JamDav1982

I did not say they payed over market value. I said they overpaid on actual value, specially considering those same resources could have been better allocated on more efficient, varied and probably more productive assets.

What was the actual value of Neymar in your opinion?

The majority of clubs wont over pay for a player if they dont think it will get repaid on or off the park, or better both.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
What was the actual value of Neymar in your opinion?

The majority of clubs wont over pay for a player if they dont think it will get repaid on or off the park, or better both.

Considering he was in the last year of his contract, his young age, him not being an established player in Europe, and the fact he was bought before the Confed Cup, IMO Neymar's actual total value was 40-45M.

He has raised his value since then, but IMO still nowhere near the 87M the total transaction cost. Mind you, 87M was the public final cost of the total transaction according to the club, but it might as well been far more than that.

40-45M would have been well in line with his production and potential, however I still think for that money getting Reus and Benatia last season would have cost the same or less and would have given more production.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Problem is the team is in a spot where they're going to need anywhere from 5-8 new players this season. They don't have unlimited resources so they must make the most of their money and they must get their priorities straight. Pepe Reina on salary alone is a huge resource sink. He'd have to come on a free transfer for it to be an efficient transfer.

You'll still need to have a competitive backup if you have the ambitions of a club like ours and that's even if we had a veteran for our #1 - which we won't, not withstanding Mats' quality/potential

Sales are coming and the club, regardless of board, cannot look weak in what is universally considered an important transfer window for the club - Personally, I think we're at a crossroads...Zubi's best quality is that he was a legendary keeper and no one but a keeper from Barcelona can appreciate more the value of that position and how it has historically been difficult to get right...When Reina was linked last season and most thought it was an either him or Mats scenario, I was happy because I guessed that Zubi wants to double down at the position...and I think it's a smart plan

Victor's absence will reverberate so they have to protect Mats as well, a quality backup will represent an asset rather than a threat to his starts...There's going to be a significant leadership drain this offseason with Valdes, Puyol & Pinto gone...Teams at crossroads need leadership more than ever, not a bargain brand keeper for a crucial backup

In terms of the financial effiency, the money we're talking about is a pittance compared to what will be spent...It's like quibbling over the cost of chewing gum over that of buying a new car...Eventhough these are tough financial times, Barcelona's budget is not at risk...Big money is going to change hands this window

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Considering he was in the last year of his contract, his young age, him not being an established player in Europe, and the fact he was bought before the Confed Cup, IMO Neymar's actual total value was 40-45M.

He has raised his value since then, but IMO still nowhere near the 87M the total transaction cost. Mind you, 87M was the public final cost of the total transaction according to the club, but it might as well been far more than that.

40-45M would have been well in line with his production and potential, however I still think for that money getting Reus and Benatia last season would have cost the same or less and would have given more production.

Being in last year of contract means nothing unless the player is willing to run it down. It doesnt decrease the value of a player if their is a scramble for his signature.

You are assuming that signing Neymar for that money meant that other areas were ignored when in fact they were still looking to sign a CB. They were too particular in what they were looking for that was the problem.

It is easy to fire off names like Benatia now but were people shouting for him a year ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans