Cesc Fàbregas

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I still think getting a versatile and mobile CF is pivotal for this team. It just open the attack so much and allows other players to focus on other tasks, like defending.

Also IMO, Messi would be the most benefited by the addition of a mobile CF. With the overload left wing of Alba, Iniesta and Neymar occupying extra defenders and attention; and with a CF occupying the two CBs; that leaves Messi more often than not going 1v1 vs CDMs and LBs, which is a recipe for disaster for your team.

B

beautifulgame

i also would like a good forward, however two CB are priority.

i would totally sell cesc for anything like 35. buy two good cb maybe a forward and team will be better.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Do that and we'd have midfield problems.

Not problems. Just thinner.

Busi, Iniesta, Xavi, Song, Masche, Roberto. 6 players to fill 3 roles does not qualify as "problems"

That being said, selling Cesc after selling Thiago is not the way to go IMHO.

Indignado

Not problems. Just thinner.

Busi, Iniesta, Xavi, Song, Masche, Roberto. 6 players to fill 3 roles does not qualify as "problems"

That being said, selling Cesc after selling Thiago is not the way to go IMHO.

You have 3 defensive midfielders among them, that certainly is a problem, especially for a big club like Barca

Alexsmith

I agree that traditional line-up is whats best for us right now, but that's only because of what we have to work with. Some of you are holding onto Xavi blindly and not willing to admit that his form has dipped significantly the past two seasons- whether it be due to age, injury or both.

Xavi isn't creating opportunities like he used to, neither is he pressing or making as many runs. He can control the tempo of the game still quite a bit, as we can see clearly when he's in the game and when he's missing, but I'm not sure that alone is enough to offset some other overall more useful players.

We should have been giving either Thiago more time or been giving Cesc minutes in his position to make him comfortable in the midfield. Cesc is too slow for false 9 and he's definitely no winger. I still think a mobile, WC striker should of been brought in as CF and give Messi and Neymar freedom on the wings with Busquets being disciplined in the DM position....but hey, lets just keep beating a dead horse :)

I heard that the reason we cannot get a CF is because Messi insists on playing there???

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
You have 3 defensive midfielders among them, that certainly is a problem, especially for a big club like Barca

Only Masche is a pure CDM. Busi and Song are hybrid CDM/CM.

Also though, Messi and Neymar are creative enough to play deeper as attacking mids if you play with more than one CDM.

The only problem Barca's midfield has right now is it's eroding defensive contribution.

Yes the defense was woeful last season. But a lot of the defensive problems came from the lack of defensive contribution by the more forward players.

Simply put. The style Barca likes to play demands defensive contribution from every single player on the pitch. Last season this was not the case.

Meitux

Only Masche is a pure CDM. Busi and Song are hybrid CDM/CM.

Also though, Messi and Neymar are creative enough to play deeper as attacking mids if you play with more than one CDM.

The only problem Barca's midfield has right now is it's eroding defensive contribution.

Yes the defense was woeful last season. But a lot of the defensive problems came from the lack of defensive contribution by the more forward players.

Simply put. The style Barca likes to play demands defensive contribution from every single player on the pitch. Last season this was not the case.
Busquets may be able to play CM but nothing more than that,he doesnt have attacking abilities.The best for us now would be a box to box midfielder that has attacking and defensive abilities..Gundogan seems the ideal really but propably not for this summer

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Busquets may be able to play CM but nothing more than that,he doesnt have attacking abilities.The best for us now would be a box to box midfielder that has attacking and defensive abilities..Gundogan seems the ideal really but propably not for this summer

As a lone creative mid, I agree Busquets is not ideal. However as tandem with another similar player, they can both be very effective, specially if you open the field and play a more direct style.

What i mean is, if you were to put Masche as a CDM next to Busquets as a CM, that would be very poor indeed because it places all the creative burden on Busquets. However, a tandem of Busquets and Song for instance, would be massively more effective because both players have creativity and specially Song is able to go deep in the opponents box. Not saying this is the end all, be all, of options. Just saying it is a viable option.

Gundogan though would be a significant upgrade to Song in this scenario.

And as i stated above, this scenario also benefits strongly with a versatile CF.

IMO right now, almost any formation Barca can field would instantly improve significantly with the addition of a CF.

Someone like Wayne Rooney would do this team wonders.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I agree that traditional line-up is whats best for us right now, but that's only because of what we have to work with. Some of you are holding onto Xavi blindly and not willing to admit that his form has dipped significantly the past two seasons- whether it be due to age, injury or both.

Xavi isn't creating opportunities like he used to, neither is he pressing or making as many runs. He can control the tempo of the game still quite a bit, as we can see clearly when he's in the game and when he's missing, but I'm not sure that alone is enough to offset some other overall more useful players.

We should have been giving either Thiago more time or been giving Cesc minutes in his position to make him comfortable in the midfield. Cesc is too slow for false 9 and he's definitely no winger. I still think a mobile, WC striker should of been brought in as CF and give Messi and Neymar freedom on the wings with Busquets being disciplined in the DM position....but hey, lets just keep beating a dead horse :)

Yeah I agree. I chose the formation based on the players and that it's what they're used to. As for Xavi I still think he's the best option for important games but he'd need a lot of rest so Cesc would probably play just as much as him, if not more. A CF would be really useful, but the best option would be one that could play on the wings as well so we could be flexible tactically.

Meitux

As a lone creative mid, I agree Busquets is not ideal. However as tandem with another similar player, they can both be very effective, specially if you open the field and play a more direct style.

What i mean is, if you were to put Masche as a CDM next to Busquets as a CM, that would be very poor indeed because it places all the creative burden on Busquets. However, a tandem of Busquets and Song for instance, would be massively more effective because both players have creativity and specially Song is able to go deep in the opponents box. Not saying this is the end all, be all, of options. Just saying it is a viable option.

Gundogan though would be a significant upgrade to Song in this scenario.

And as i stated above, this scenario also benefits strongly with a versatile CF.

IMO right now, almost any formation Barca can field would instantly improve significantly with the addition of a CF.

Someone like Wayne Rooney would do this team wonders.
I always wanted a CF too.But personally i prefer someone like Lewandowski cause he would be a great target man that is powerfull and can create big troubles around and inside the box.I dont think he is the kind of strikers that only wait for support and doesnt involve in build up,we clearly saw that with Dortmund last season

Of course this means we need to change a little big positions but thats not a problem at all for Messi,he always moves free.He could play behind the striker and drift to right at times,although from the moment Lewandowski goes to Bayern next season its just a dream :p

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I always wanted a CF too.But personally i prefer someone like Lewandowski cause he would be a great target man that is powerfull and can create big troubles around and inside the box.I dont think he is the kind of strikers that only wait for support and doesnt involve in build up,we clearly saw that with Dortmund last season

Of course this means we need to change a little big positions but thats not a problem at all for Messi,he always moves free.He could play behind the striker and drift to right at times,although from the moment Lewandowski goes to Bayern next season its just a dream :p

Lewandowski is another great option. He gets involved in the build-up.

Another option, just for kicks because it'll never happen, is Gonzalo Higuain. Higuain would be sooooooo much better at Barca than he is/was at Madrid.

Meitux

Lewandowski is another great option. He gets involved in the build-up.

Another option, just for kicks because it'll never happen, is Gonzalo Higuain. Higuain would be sooooooo much better at Barca than he is/was at Madrid.
Well the deal with Arsenal looks about not to happen.But Tito told we wont buy any CF,he propably thinks that just because we got Neymar our Messi dependence in terms of scoring will disappear.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Well the deal with Arsenal looks about not to happen.But Tito told we wont buy any CF,he propably thinks that just because we got Neymar our Messi dependence in terms of scoring will disappear.

Mundodeportivo was speculating Tito was going to promote Dongou and experiment with him as a plan B. I really doubt it. Doesn't seem like he'd do that from what we've seen from him so far.

Home of Barca Fans