Cesc Fàbregas

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
He was destroying their defense tonight, glad he got subbed though, we were not in need of his talent tonight...

GiantKiller

Good game. Comforting that he's able to step up and play as the false nine should Messi be unavailable, which I pray doesn't happen.

Stric

I couldn't catch the first half, so I was wondering to ask, but forgot... so it was the false 9 role he played, huh? Nice.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I couldn't catch the first half, so I was wondering to ask, but forgot... so it was the false 9 role he played, huh? Nice.

I would say yes and no... During some moments he dropped deeper than Thiago and to be fair, his best moments were when he was lurking in midfield... He still had a great performance, and had some awesome passes...

GiantKiller

I would say yes and no... During some moments he dropped deeper than Thiago and to be fair, his best moments were when he was lurking in midfield... He still had a great performance, and had some awesome passes...

That is what the false nine role is mostly about, isn't it?

M

messi_xavi_iniesta

When you have Villa to put Cesc at false 9 its just dumb.

Stric

No it's not. Putting Cesc as false 9 and Villa on the wing is more lethal than putting Villa as CF and Tello/Deulofeu/whoever was available on the wing.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Well considering this was a game to rest starters to some extent i'd actually opt for Villa to get a chance as CF instead of Cesc as a false 9. This gives more chances for Tello/Deulo/Cuenca to play and Villa can guide them and bail them out if necessary. Also since Villa rarely ever gets to play as CF, it would boost his confidence and allow him good practice to keep his finishing sharp and improve his ability to drift into the middle and make smart attacking runs when messi drops back a bit as a false 9. Also Cesc gets a rest or could play alongside Thiago in midfield so that Thiago gets more chances to improve as the "boss of the entire midfield" rather than playing more advanced.

Vapor

I was rewatching that Cordorba game and Cesc had a TON of "Did you see that shit!?!" moments. Some brilliant passing, he really seems on fire again, he was killing it in this game.

Stric

Well considering this was a game to rest starters to some extent i'd actually opt for Villa to get a chance as CF instead of Cesc as a false 9. This gives more chances for Tello/Deulo/Cuenca to play and Villa can guide them and bail them out if necessary. Also since Villa rarely ever gets to play as CF, it would boost his confidence and allow him good practice to keep his finishing sharp and improve his ability to drift into the middle and make smart attacking runs when messi drops back a bit as a false 9. Also Cesc gets a rest or could play alongside Thiago in midfield so that Thiago gets more chances to improve as the "boss of the entire midfield" rather than playing more advanced.

I agree with that. This was a pretty easy game and what you said would have made sense. But in reply to what messi_xavi_iniesta said, in general terms, Villa LW + Cesc false9 > Villa CF + second/third-choice wingers. Besides, Barca's mentality is to do their best, even against Segunda Division teams. At least until they're in a comfortable position, that's why they played the better option in the first half, to secure a lead with the more dangerous combination, then Cesc went off in the second. Perfect tactics.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans