Cesc Fàbregas

SeloBarca

Kinda says it all when hes better as a sub and get to play against players that are tired and slower.

Hes not a CM either. He was playing further up then Messi the whole time.

Its not the type of player we need.

BerkeleyBernie

Kinda says it all when hes better as a sub and get to play against players that are tired and slower.

Yup. Perfect use of Cesc. The pressure on Villarreal was relentless all game, and bringing on Cesc with fresh legs and time and space to work is a great call. Played more as an AM, which works well late in the game.

Pepe Silvia

Man of the match for me. Instantly opened up our play in the middle of the park, moved the ball well, and was decisive with his final ball. He was an ace tonight with his directness.

i_bleed_blaugrana

BmQc-4uCcAAMzH1.jpg:large

The guy can't hold on to the ball well enough to play in cm...

:troll:

Was fantastic tonight. Showed his quality and despite replacing the one-dimensional Xavi, we overall maintained a high amount of the ball and control. His link-up play in the final third was excellent and I really hope this goes to show that he is more than capable of being what we need to evolve our game.

BerkeleyBernie

Man of the match for me. Instantly opened up our play in the middle of the park, moved the ball well, and was decisive with his final ball. He was an ace tonight with his directness.

Cesc played well, best game in a long time, had time and space. But his passing was mostly the same connective passing that Xavi provides, very little "direct" (which is why he had a good game; he wasn't trying to be too ambitious). Mostly sideways and backwards, just like people complain about Xavi. I see only *1* successful forward pass. So much for being "an ace tonight with his directness."

What Cesc did differently than Xavi is move more into advanced positions to play more as an attacking midfielder than a CM. It's that positioning that lead to his assist. At that point in the game, needing a goal to win, it was a smart risk to play that advanced, and it paid off.

cesc-villarreal.png

i_bleed_blaugrana

Cesc played well, best game in a long time, had time and space. But his passing was mostly the same connective passing that Xavi provides, very little "direct" (which is why he had a good game; he wasn't trying to be too ambitious). Mostly sideways and backwards, just like people complain about Xavi. I see only *1* successful forward pass. So much for being "an ace tonight with his directness."

What Cesc did differently than Xavi is move more into advanced positions to play more as an attacking midfielder than a CM. It's that positioning that lead to his assist. At that point in the game, needing a goal to win, it was a smart risk to play that advanced, and it paid off.

cesc-villarreal.png

He had time and space because he played as a CM. Unlike Xavi though, what that graphic shows is how much he moves and works all over the pitch. He was constantly buzzing, pressing and controlling the tempo when the ball was near and ghosting into space when he was off the ball. His late and archaic runs overloading the attacking third caused a lot of problems because no one knew how to mark him.

Pepe Silvia

cesc-villarreal.png
Well directness in terms of intent/vision, looking for the killer pass, not so much directness in terms of actual forward passes. Point still stands he was ace.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
The header assist was a thing of beauty as was Busquets' involvement on that 3rd goal...It helps when Villarreal were simply retreating into their area and Fabregas wasn't faced with a lack of space to work in

Superstar85

lol @ some people trying to act like Villareal players where tired from pressure when Cesc came in, what pressure??? lol
Barca basically started playing the moment Cesc (and Tello) were subbed in.

I also noticed that his ball control was way better and he didn't lose the ball even when he had Villareal players next to him and had to act fast. And what is the whole "he had space" talk??? It's not like Villareal players where waiting deep in their area, they were actually pressing whoever had the ball.

Home of Barca Fans