Cesc Fàbregas

F

Flavia

Playmakers don't need to know how to defend very well. And plus, Mourinho seems to think he can defend fine, since he is playing him in a double pivot with Matic. Cesc just needs to be the orchestrator in the midfield, and not the third wheel. And since neither of our midfielders is playing better than him, I think making Fabregas the no1 playmaker and keeping Messi closer to the goal would've been the way to go.

I would've wanted Barca to look like this, especially considering Iniesta's poor form and Busi's inability to protect us on his own down there in DM area:
1131182_FC_Barcelona.jpg

That would force Messi to play advanced, as a cf, and then moving Neymar and Suarez to the wings... Really, no thank you. Cesc is not worth that. And thankfully he's gone.

Messi a bit behind, with Suarez and Neymar in front of him is way better than that.

1131194_FC_Barcelona.jpg

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Cesc would do better than one of iniesta/rakitic in this new diamond formation. If we played our normal football then not so much as he plays at a different speed.

Iarwain

That would be a pretty sick formation, but since Cesc has failed us in big games time and time again, I can see him being marked out of the game by class DMs. Plus no room for Iniesta in that formation, still one of the best midfielders in the world.
Who, also, failed in big games. But since he's the Don, let's forget that and blame everything on Cesc.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Who, also, failed in big games. But since he's the Don, let's forget that and blame everything on Cesc.

Woah!! When he has a rough patch he does not play well against any team no matter how small or how big. He sometimes plays better in big matches even when he is bad form. Don't compare Iniesta to Cesc please....

Hamzah

High Definition Member
If we want to see the best of Iniesta we need the two cm close together and close to messi and get back to tiki Taka.

F

Flavia

Cesc would do better than one of iniesta/rakitic in this new diamond formation. If we played our normal football then not so much as he plays at a different speed.

How? He can't defend, and that's their primary duty now. I can't see Cesc running up and down, covering for the fullbacks.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
It's not like Iniesta can defend. Cesc is improving in that area for Chelsea. Cesc style of build up play would work well in this formation IMO and he brings the surprise option of the through ball.

Remember Cesc outperformed iniesta when we played direct styles under tito and Tata, and faded after we went back to normal, which is when iniesta got back to his best. Two different midfielders for two different styles.

Obv the best scenario is we get back to tiki Taka then everybody wins but Lucho isn't doing this.

Last edited:

Iarwain

Iniesta doesn't fail in big games, he's a game-changer.
I guess we saw that against Real Madrid Copa final, Atletico second CL leg and last Liga game (actually almost all Atletico games), Bayern etc? Or vs Netherlands and Chile? or vs Brazil Confederations Cup when fucking Paulinho wrecked his shit?

Woah!! When he has a rough patch he does not play well against any team no matter how small or how big. He sometimes plays better in big matches even when he is bad form. Don't compare Iniesta to Cesc please..
I'm not comparing them as players. It just doesn't seem fair to criticize Cesc's big games when Iniesta wasn't much better either. And let's not forget that the whole system was pretty much exposed, not really individual players choking or something.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

Oh yeah, let's just disregard the majority of the big games where he has been one of the best players on the pitch.

Maybe there's a reason why he is the Don... Because he most of the time actually performs in those big games.

Iarwain

Oh yeah, let's just disregard the majority of the big games where he has been one of the best players on the pitch.

Maybe there's a reason why he is the Don... Because he most of the time actually performs in those big games.
Let's take a look at last season: Real Madrid Copa final (won't mention other two games in which I think he wasn't brilliant either), five games vs Atletico including the title decider at Camp Nou, Netherlands and Chile. 8 big games in which he was practically a non-factor, just last season on both club and international level. So, you'd call a player who didn't influence 8 big games in a season a big game player? :D Iniesta in his prime, yes. This Iniesta, no.

Can you now list me this 'majority' of big games from last season where Iniesta was one of the best players?

Alarcón

Let's take a look at last season: Real Madrid Copa final (won't mention other two games in which I think he wasn't brilliant either), five games vs Atletico including the title decider at Camp Nou, Netherlands and Chile. 8 big games in which he was practically a non-factor, just last season on both club and international level. So, you'd call a player who didn't influence 8 big games in a season a big game player? :D Iniesta in his prime, yes. This Iniesta, no.

Can you now list me majority of big games from last season where Iniesta was one of the best players?

And which other player influenced the Atlético games? Messi didn't either so I take it he's a small game player too?

Home of Barca Fans