Cesc Fàbregas

Ghost

You literally described Iniesta in almost every big game Barca/Spain lost. Every single instance you wrote here I'd attribute to recent Iniesta: slow, lethargic in his passing (ball hogging), tendency to vanish for large portions of the match, I'd add very weak shot and accuracy.

Come to think of it, you really have to dig deep to find a game he played worthy of his reputation (one of the best midfielders ever).

[.....]

Whoa, high level delusion right here. He didn't do either of that consistently good, especially in big games. Yeah, we saw his brilliance occasionally, but you really have to be delusional to say he was consistently good (especially in big games).

Yes, I do believe he played at least at the same level as Iniesta when he was at Barca. He did produce honey in last 3 seasons, while Iniesta really showed signs of decline (BOTH at club and international level) in last few seasons (not that he was bad generally, just not his level).

[.....]
Shut up.

F

Flavia

Yes, I do believe he played at least at the same level as Iniesta when he was at Barca. He did produce honey in last 3 seasons, while Iniesta really showed signs of decline (BOTH at club and international level) in last few seasons (not that he was bad generally, just not his level).

Iniesta had one of this best seasons in 12-13, when he topped the assists and his overall play was sublime. That alone was superior to anyting Cesc did for Barça.

serghei

Iniesta had one of this best seasons in 12-13, when he topped the assists and his overall play was sublime. That alone was superior to anyting Cesc did for Barça.

What happened in april that season pretty much ruined that impression. For me at least. Better than Cesc, I agree, but not by very much.

DrPepper

I think it's hard to compare. What if Cesc actually had more than just one season with Guardiola (which was also his last and weakest)? If he was part of the 08-11 team, he certainly would be respected more and not be degraded to a scapegoat. Same with Alexis.

You can clearly see that he is doing well at Chelsea with a top manager like Mourinho. It's not just about the general style of play of a team and whether it suits the player or not, that's too simple imo. I'm sure Guardiola would have handled it better than Vilanova and Martino did. Since Pep, Barcelona never had a top manager and you can see that.

Only time will tell, though. Even under Mourinho he might fade in the second half of the season. But still it wouldn't mean he doesn't suit Chelsea, more that he has problems sustaining his consistency for a whole season. I hope he does well.

Iarwain

Flavia said:

It seems stats do matter, at least when they go Iniesta's way.

The horror. He's already ruined the best team of all time. Didn't need to see him ruining the best team of all time at its peak.

Lol, people actually believe this. Was he personally responsible for that Bayern 4-0 thrashing too? :p

B

beautifulgame

I think it's hard to compare. What if Cesc actually had more than just one season with Guardiola (which was also his last and weakest)? If he was part of the 08-11 team, he certainly would be respected more and not be degraded to a scapegoat. Same with Alexis.

You can clearly see that he is doing well at Chelsea with a top manager like Mourinho. It's not just about the general style of play of a team and whether it suits the player or not, that's too simple imo. I'm sure Guardiola would have handled it better than Vilanova and Martino did. Since Pep, Barcelona never had a top manager and you can see that.

Only time will tell, though. Even under Mourinho he might fade in the second half of the season. But still it wouldn't mean he doesn't suit Chelsea, more that he has problems sustaining his consistency for a whole season. I hope he does well.

team actually peaked in the fall of pep's last year.

pep has since confirmed it himself just a few months ago.

CatalinR10

Lol, people actually believe this. Was he personally responsible for that Bayern 4-0 thrashing too? :p

I'm happy he left and sad that he joined us in the first place. We would have won some trophies if he wasn't playing for us in the first place. He is not suited for barca . Reacts like a turtle in tight spaces.

F

Flavia

It seems stats do matter, at least when they go Iniesta's way.
Way to go by ignoring the rest of the phrase, when I specifically mentioned his overall play was sublime :thumbsup2:

Cesc has a lot to do to be in same pantheon as Iniesta. I doubt he'll ever make it.

Butaan4barca

any player can go missing in huge parts of the game, if messi and neymar are taking the play into their feets. And its planned and delegated by luis enrique himself. This new role of messi is definitely going to effect every other player. If he is seeing more of a ball, naturally player like iniesta will be getting lesser of it. unless you throw in another football on the pitch during the match.

dmode

I'm happy he left and sad that he joined us in the first place. We would have won some trophies if he wasn't playing for us in the first place. He is not suited for barca . Reacts like a turtle in tight spaces.

Ha ha ha. You do realize that Cesc did not even play in the 4-0 thrashing from Bayern. Also, Barcelona won the league when Cesc was there

Home of Barca Fans