Champions League 12/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_man

It worked only because Real Madrid were so wasteful. It wasn't because they tactically outsmarted Real or anything.
How many clear cut chances did Madrid create that was better than the two Van Persie chances? Bear in mind I say clear cut chances, not pot shots from distance.

Paganinisrvnge

Man U aren't getting enough credit on here. They did pretty well to limit getting completely carved open. De Gea was certainly the hero and Van Persie pulled a Torres on a CLEAR chance.

Catalan Fan

Why would they attack if counter-attacking worked in this game and they have an away goal?

Because they're playing at Old Trafford, infront of a sellout crowd.I doubt very much that they'll sit back and try and settle for a 0-0.Am guessing they will go for it.... which will suit RM.

It's just my opinion, but that's how I think the 2nd leg will pan out.Utd pushing forward, but RM will look to counter and snag a couple of away goals.

Hope I am wrong and Utd do 'em, sooner face them later on, rather than the Hyenas....

Last edited:

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Ferguson is no fool, he won't give a crap about the sellout crowd; Real Madrid are most potent by far on the counterattack, and are amazing at absorbing pressure. That is also United's greatest strength. Not to mention that there will surely be more sellout crowds if United advance in the Champions League, whereas if they go out that will be the last one.

Catalan Fan

Yep, I meant that a big crowd on a big European night will spur the Utd players on, it's usually the case.

Fergie may well advocate a note of caution, but I doubt the players on the night will heed it, in the heat of battle etc

Anyways it's set up for an intriguing 2nd leg either way. :thumbsup2:

B

beautifulgame

Because they're playing at Old Trafford, infront of a sellout crowd.I doubt very much that they'll sit back and try and settle for a 0-0.Am guessing they will go for it.... which will suit RM.

It's just my opinion, but that's how I think the 2nd leg will pan out.Utd pushing forward, but RM will look to counter and snag a couple of away goals.

Hope I am wrong and Utd do 'em, sooner face them later on, rather than the Hyenas....

Lol you are wrong. See United vs Barca when frank was in charge. Fergie is even more conservative in CL than in the league. He plays to win.

aaron101

You guys have to remember that they will play the 2nd leg at Old Trafford after 2 straight clasicos. RM will be so tired at that time and remember also that they are bad at away games. Remember that they lost their game after our copa del rey match with them just weeks ago.

In my opinion, RM won't be as strong as at home when they play at Old Trafford.

I think it will be decided by penalties.

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
I thought both teams were poor, Madrid wont be able to break down any semi decent defense & United played awful as per but come away with a goal as they often do out of nowhere.

ricknattery

Madrid outplayed ManU because they have better inividual players but also because everybody knows is better to give the ball to Madrid unless you dominate tiki-taka(Dortmund, Barca, Malaga) and slow their tempo with high pressing too. If you don't give them the ball their counterattack will hurt you at some point. Madrid usually chokes against teams that sit back. SAF knows that and will play the same way(like against Barca in 08) knowing he has an away goal. That doesn't mean they'll go for a 0-0 as it is almost impossible but they will try to score from counters and will not go into fast pace games where Madrid thrives. At least that's what I'll do. Crucial to not let Madrid socre during first half as they'll get desperate and Man U can really hurt them if Van Persie or Rooney are given space

B

beautifulgame

He played a pretty open game in both Champions league finals against Barca though to be fair.

Really? :-0 Rooney playing full back but to be honest Guardiola's Barca forces that on the oppenent. Which is why I used a more fair example of Frank's Barca, which you did not address.

Kerrybai

Arbeloa 50 fouls, 4 yellow cards.
Pique 8 fouls, 5 yellow cards. The ref was pretty poor tonight against United. Madrid are seriously good at avoiding yellow cards.

89Norcal

Arbeloa 50 fouls, 4 yellow cards.
Pique 8 fouls, 5 yellow cards. The ref was pretty poor tonight against United. Madrid are seriously good at avoiding yellow cards.

he really was awful. Thought it was strange how he just denied them to take the corner kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans