Champions League 2017/18

El Gato

Villarato!
The fact that every year it's the same shit and it's frustrating.

And considering that those 2 mins could have been decisive, they have definitely been hard done by it.

They can feel hard done. Should it take away your attention that it doesn't matter if penalties are given or not given? In many cases you have 30 mins before it and 30 mins after it to make the difference. You gotta have the right attitude to ref decisions and the only right way is to acknowledge you have other 95% of the game to make other decisive moments so that the one decision you didn't get doesn't hurt you. Unless all you can muster is drilled-on handball of course.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Tough luck for them. I'm struggling to find a valid reason why Madrid would be a better team than Barca considering we kind of trash them on Bernabeu once every 2 seasons.

I have to say it was quite lucky for us not to concede in the first half of that 3-0 game. I think they were definitely the better team in the first half.

serghei

I have to say it was quite lucky for us not to concede in the first half of that 3-0 game. I think they were definitely the better team in the first half.

Barely. In terms of great chances it was 1-1. Benzema post and Paulinho chance. They had one more good chance from that great Ronaldo shot blocked by Stegen, while we had another chance also with Paulinho.

serghei

Absolute chances yes, but I felt they created more chances overall in the first half.

You could say they dominated the first half (as in had more of the ball and more potentially dangerous actions), while the clear chances created stats were about equal, with a slight edge for them overall (about 3-2).

vlad

You could say they dominated the first half (as in had more of the ball and more potentially dangerous actions), while the clear chances created stats were about equal, with a slight edge for them overall (about 3-2).

bayern in 180 minutes was only 16 minutes with goal ahead, i say screw such domination, of course they will dominate and push more because they were chasing result all the time, real didnt and they didnt look worried to me

serghei

bayern in 180 minutes was only 16 minutes with goal ahead, i say screw such domination, of course they will dominate and push more because they were chasing result all the time, real didnt and they didnt look worried to me

Who cares? Bayern could have scored 4 on Bernabeu in the first half alone. That James miss was huge. And then there's the penalties and more chances.

We were in front in the tie vs Chelsea only 10 minutes in 2012. This proves what? We outplayed them and they went through by luck mostly. Same story with Madrid this year against Bayern. Only way you can win a game in which the opponent outplays you that clearly is by crazy luck.

Bayern is probably the best team in the world this season. Outplayed Madrid on Bernabeu with 4 starters missing.

Last edited:

vlad

Who cares? Bayern could have scored 4 on Bernabeu in the first half alone. That James miss was huge. And then there's the penalties and more chances.

but they didnt, they were not clinical enough, more clinical team went through, if real needed to chase result they would put bayern under huge pressure and basically bombarded their box with crosses

serghei

but they didnt, they were not clinical enough, more clinical team went through, if real needed to chase result they would put bayern under huge pressure and basically bombarded their box with crosses

The more clinical team went through, the better team lost.

vlad

We were in front in the tie vs Chelsea only 10 minutes in 2012. This proves what? We outplayed them and they went through by luck mostly. Same story with Madrid this year against Bayern. Only way you can win a game in which the opponent outplays you that clearly is by crazy luck.

Bayern is probably the best team in the world this season.

chelsea had player less 2012, lets talk about chelsea away 2009, barca was outplayed and went through with referee on their side, they were "most dominant team in CL" until this madrid side which has more balls, mental strenght, then pep barca, if barca at that period had same mental strenght as this madrid side, with messi on peak, xavi, iniesta... how many they would won CL´s? real benefit from luck because they dont give up and they are awarded with 3rd final in the row

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Tough luck for them. I'm struggling to find a valid reason why Madrid would be a better team than Barca considering we kind of trash them on Bernabeu once every 2 seasons.

Semantics. Sigh.

Find one instance where a more clinical team is not considered a more deserving winner than a more wasteful team.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The more clinical team went through, the better team lost.

Good point. I think in the later stage of the CL when it is between elite teams it is all about being clinical, capitalizing on your chances.

I hope we can do better in the future.

serghei

chelsea had player less 2012, lets talk about chelsea away 2009, barca was outplayed and went through with referee on their side, they were "most dominant team in CL" until this madrid side, barca fans often like to forgot how they were outplayed, real benefit from luck because they dont give up and they are awarded with 3rd final in the row

Yes, in that game Chelsea outplayed Barca and should have went through, but only if we base it on that game. Barca dominated Chelsea big time in the first leg, and Chelsea were favored by the refs too on Camp Nou. Ballack should have been sent off and we had a clear penalty on Henry on the 70th minute and possibly red card for Bosingwa as he was last man. Overall in the tie, both sides had 3-4 major calls going against them. Chelsea was a bit more 'robbed' than Barca overall, as they did have 2 clear pens not given and arguably a 3rd one.

Chelsea was dominated by Barca in the same fashion in the first leg, with 11 vs 11, in 2012. The extra man doesn't help much when a team has 9 players cramped up in the last 20m. That's enough players to block most passing channels anyway.

The thing is that when a team that was outplayed goes through in a Cup tie, and a team is eliminated after a dominating display of football, it can only be because the small team was clinical and the dominating team failed to convert the chances.

Semantics. Sigh.

Find one instance where a more clinical team is not considered a more deserving winner than a more wasteful team.

We're talking about different things. I'm talking about dominating and playing better football. You're talking about who won, trying to imply in some way that the team who wins a football game is automatically more deserving to go through because they scored more goals. Rubbish and simplistic, and totally not looking at the 'how', but only at the 'what'.

Last edited:

Givenchy

chelsea had player less 2012, lets talk about chelsea away 2009, barca was outplayed and went through with referee on their side, they were "most dominant team in CL" until this madrid side which has more balls, mental strenght, then pep barca, if barca at that period had same mental strenght as this madrid side, with messi on peak, xavi, iniesta... how many they would won CL´s? real benefit from luck because they dont give up and they are awarded with 3rd final in the row

at times I wonder if you're even a Barca fan or trolling.. how can this myth continue, its 2018 ffs. Abidal was wrongly sent off for Anelka's dive and missed a CL final because of it.

Home of Barca Fans