CL | Round 5: FC Barcelona - SL Benfica 0-0

utility73

Considering the condition of the squad this was quite good.
Imagine both Ansu Fati and Dembele being both fit at the same time and Memphis making some correct decisions for once and this could work out.

Gavi and Nico were excellent and Pedri hopefully will make it back sometime, too.

Gnidrologist

Fun match. And the quality of football has been instantly elevated by Xavi all things considered. No proper forwards, dodgy defense, but the buildup and ball retention is on different level already. It's probably EL for us, but hell, i think that okay for team in this kind of healing state. Great to see our youngsters delivering again, except Demir, who despite his technique is slow as hell. He can't play on flanks unlike Gavi for sure. Loser of the match Depay, who turned to shit pretty much everything he touched. Dembele was class even, if with his usual inconsistency.
Good vibes even despite bad result for us.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Bro how can you be positive

We made otamendi look like Maldini there's no end product at our club because Laprota gave away a 50 goal a season player for free

Sure, far from vintage Barca but we only played with one fit first team forward for most of the match.

Team showed great effort and we were a better team.

Jaguar

Flair Trait
I'm a bit annoyed. Look at Dembele's pure speed on the wing yet not once did he go to the center. No idea why Xavi didn't switch him and Depay or at least make Demb?l? travel to the middle, and be very dangerous with his pace.

omidferoz

Maybe EL is not that bad this year. I mean we will would have been kicked out of chl in round 16 anyway. With EL we have a big chance of winning it and qualify for chl next Season.

Bobo32

You can see improvement. The team believes again and we controlled the game in parts. Concerning that we have only scored 2 goals in CL so far though, and both against Dynamo Kiev.

Yeah, but the system didn't seem to work AT ALL in the buildup. How many times did they have to get it back to Stegen with no obvious option? How many times did Araujo or Lenglet have to hoof it half by chance?
Of course the four midfielders playing together will find a lot of nice solutions during a game, but it didn't seem too well coordinated I have to say.

It is the first time I saw the system live, and I am sure it is the first time every player in Barcelona played in this setup, so maybe we will see a lot of improvement, but I am not very thrilled.
The game not being won was about 71% due to Depay playing though - I think he must've destroyed more than 2/3rds of all the attacks with his stupidity and messyness.

wisconsincule

Maybe EL is not that bad this year. I mean we will would have been kicked out of chl in round 16 anyway. With EL we have a big chance of winning it and qualify for chl next Season.

Agree. Maybe this route would be better for our younger players growth. I don’t even know anymore.

Home of Barca Fans