CL | Round 6: Bayern Munchen - FC Barcelona 3-0

malvolio

No, kiev bayern last game. Not kiev benfica.

that wasn't meaningless either.

a barca win would have meant kiev could still get EL if they won in lisbon(regardless of the result in the kiev - bayern match).

it's true that kiev's fate was in barca's hands. but a kiev win vs bayern and a draw with goals vs benfica away would have meant kiev gets EL.

Last edited:

fergus90

To be honest, I'm of the opinion that it wouldn't be a disaster for this current Barca side to go in the Europa League especially with all the youngsters in the current team. It feels like scraping through this against a Bayern side that has already qualified will lead to another mauling in the Ro16 against a hungry opponent with it all to be play for. Especially as finishing 2nd means we are gonna be facing a good team in the round of 16.

I do think Bayern can be got at, but unfortunately, we don't have the capabilities to do it currently. Also if we go a goal down, there is virtually zero chance of us scoring 2, such is how toothless the attack is.

iniestaGOAT

To be honest, I'm of the opinion that it wouldn't be a disaster for this current Barca side to go in the Europa League especially with all the youngsters in the current team. It feels like scraping through this against a Bayern side that has already qualified will lead to another mauling in the Ro16 against a hungry opponent with it all to be play for. Especially as finishing 2nd means we are gonna be facing a good team in the round of 16.

I do think Bayern can be got at, but unfortunately, we don't have the capabilities to do it currently. Also if we go a goal down, there is virtually zero chance of us scoring 2, such is how toothless the attack is.

Only city, Munich and Liverpool could maul us.

The rest PSG, chelsea etc will win but it wil be a 1-0.2-0 scoreline. Hardly mauling.

mc_lovin

It's just an incredibly defeatist attitude. I get where this is coming from, but I am really not a fan of it.

fergus90

Only city, Munich and Liverpool could maul us.

The rest PSG, chelsea etc will win but it wil be a 1-0.2-0 scoreline. Hardly mauling.

Chelsea have scored more goals than Man City this season. Barca would do very well to limit them to a 1-0 scoreline. Man United would be a close game though.

malvolio

we aren't winning EL anyway. so the whole 'experience for youth' theory and getting that automatic CL place if we win is a pointless discussion.

also, having more games to deal with in EL is just a distraction from the real objective of making top 4 in la liga.

for me best result would be to get to CL R16 for the money and finish 4th in la liga.

fergus90

I wouldn't say I'm defeatist, quite the opposite. Just preparing for the very real possibility of the Europa League come the end of Wednesday and how it wouldn't be a disaster.

Plus the extra games at this point, is only 1 extra knockout-tie if I'm not mistaken?

malvolio

Plus the extra games at this point, is only 1 extra knockout-tie if I'm not mistaken?

i was thinking we might have more games because we could potentially reach a higher stage in EL if we go all in to win the competition for that CL place.

better get the load of cash from a CL R16 exit than to chase a EL final win.

jairzinho

We'll lose out on 9.5 million for failing to make the round of 16 plus sponsorships would take a hit too.

Birdy

Was not talking about money.

Club's prestige much better if the team plays EL final, compared to R16 exit with an aggregate of 6 7 or 8 goal difference vs Liverpool or City or Chelsea

Gari

Each victory in the Champions League group stage brings the teams € 2.8 million. According to an interview with Igor Surkis in 2020, the club's budget, excluding the sale and purchase of players in recent years, was $ 30-35 million, of which subsidies accounted for 15-20 million This is good money for Kiev.

Home of Barca Fans