CL | Round 6: Bayern Munchen - FC Barcelona 3-0

gregorrin10

EL final or EL Trophy >>>>>>>>>>>> CL R16 exit

Don't think we'll progress beyond the quarters, much less the semis of the EL in any case (especially if we get unlucky with the draw and get someone like Dortmund, Sevilla, Villareal/Atalanta, Leipzig, Atletico/even Porto or Milan could beat us, so better to stay in CL and get bigger money for reaching the round of 16, not to mention the hit our reputation would suffer if we get relegated to the EL.

gregorrin10

But going to EL might be a blessing in disguise:
facing easier opponents: Benfica level and below at least until QF or SF

XAvi gets more time to teach something to the team, and we have a chance to go deep into the tournament.
I would fancy an EL trophy to save this seemingly trophy-less season

You're underestimating EL a lot...Dortmund, Sevilla, Villarreal/Atalanta, Leipzig, Atletico could beat us easily, even the likes of Porto or Milan could beat us. And those are just the ones, who'll get relegated from the CL alongside us.

jairzinho

Going far in EL depends on us staying healthy and making a couple signings in Jan. A proper 9 has to be a must. Cavani on loan would be great.

Rassvet

You're underestimating EL a lot...Dortmund, Sevilla, Villarreal/Atalanta, Leipzig, Atletico could beat us easily, even the likes of Porto or Milan could beat us. And those are just the ones, who'll get relegated from the CL alongside us.

yeah there’s gonna be at least 7-8 or so teams in EL that are at least a similar level to us. We’d also have to get through five rounds to win it all.

Trying to finish top 4 is still our best bet for CL football by far imo

Devils

Barcelona had prepared the season's budget projecting that the team would reach the quarterfinals of the Champions League. If the club are knocked out in the group stages, it would lead to a loss of €20.2m. The Europa League winners will get €14.9m. [MARCA]

Stunning.

Birdy

We are more on par with these teams than with City Chelsea Bayern Liverpool

And we have a good chance to actually face them later in the competition.
At least in the first knock-out round the 3rds in Cl groups face the runner-ups in EL groups, which would be (with the exception of Leicester or Napoli) pretty manageable

Birdy

yeah there’s gonna be at least 7-8 or so teams in EL that are at least a similar level to us. We’d also have to get through five rounds to win it all.

Trying to finish top 4 is still our best bet for CL football by far imo

Agree with the last line.

I want a good run to the EL final, not for CL purposes, but for the trophy

soul24rage

Since Europa League Knockouts start in Feb. 17. and if we drop down to the EL this season, I would like to see how we are doing La Liga standing wise before the 1st EL knockout game when deciding how much focus we should give the EL.

Agree with Rass's sentiment that top 4 is still the bet bet for CL football.

malvolio

Barcelona had prepared the season's budget projecting that the team would reach the quarterfinals of the Champions League. If the club are knocked out in the group stages, it would lead to a loss of ?20.2m. The Europa League winners will get ?14.9m. [MARCA]

Stunning.

what idiot thought that quarterfinals in CL is an achievable goal?!

these coked-up catalans are even more naive than most users of this forum.

Devils

what idiot thought that quarterfinals in CL is an achievable goal?!

these coked-up catalans are even more naive than most users of this forum.

Those projections were also done on the assumption that Messi would still be a Barca player.

Alik

I admire your optimism. I had this exact kind of exchange with [MENTION=12859]Alik[/MENTION] on the eve of our 2-8 against Bayern and we got absolutely demolished.

This Bayern has a lot of strengths and a lot of flaws, but we unfortunately don't have the manpower to punish them currently.

Did we? :lol:

KingLeo10

Yeah, the discussion was comparing 19/20 Barca and 12/13 Barca and I argued 19/20 Barca was a bit better based on CL group stage/big LL game results. You were't convinced.

Turns out, I took a L because 19/20 Barca got annihilated just like 12/13 did. :lol:

EDIT: I actually took the optimistic position back then and got burned. I see the reason for confusion...my post made it seem like you did :lol:

Windhook

This game is doomed anyway, whatever the lineup is.

Hope Dynamo Kyiv pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Birdy

If I were Xavi, I would play something like this against BAyern:

This is the 3-4-2-1 he played against Benfica with some changes:

----------MATS
---Araujo--FDJ--Eric--
Dest---Busi--Gavi--Alba
-----Nico/Cou-Memphis
----------Dembouz

It's crucial that our striker has the ability to make those timely and lightning-speed runs in space, and be able to beat his marker in 1v1,
and currently the only one who combines both characteristics is Ousmane
When we saw this system vs Benfica, Memphis does not have the speed to break in transition
On the contrary, as the left 'interior' (which is really an AM in Xavi's setup), he can be effective in finding Ousmane in space.
Nico is also good offensively. Even Coutinho can play a role there.

The only other change there, is of course getting rid of clown Pique from our backline.
Frenkie was phenomenal as libero last season, and can plug holes against such a dynamic opponent like Bayern

I don't see it, unfortunately, especially as Xavi seems to not like Dest as RB

PS: I don't think we can win or even draw.
But with this system we have a fair chance of not getting humiliated, and scoring at least a goal

Alik

Yeah, the discussion was comparing 19/20 Barca and 12/13 Barca and I argued 19/20 Barca was a bit better based on CL group stage/big LL game results. You were't convinced.

Turns out, I took a L because 19/20 Barca got annihilated just like 12/13 did. :lol:

EDIT: I actually took the optimistic position back then and got burned. I see the reason for confusion...my post made it seem like you did :lol:

Ahh, yes, now I remember!

Yes, I don't think this time will be any better.

Home of Barca Fans