CL | Round 6: Bayern Munchen - FC Barcelona 3-0

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Yeah, the discussion was comparing 19/20 Barca and 12/13 Barca and I argued 19/20 Barca was a bit better based on CL group stage/big LL game results. You were't convinced.

Turns out, I took a L because 19/20 Barca got annihilated just like 12/13 did. :lol:

EDIT: I actually took the optimistic position back then and got burned. I see the reason for confusion...my post made it seem like you did :lol:

Before the match i would have also said 19/20 is a bit better than 12/13 barca which was only good against milan at home. Well 19/20 had only napoli as an oppenent but somehow i felt we were stronger. Who would have thought we would be destroyed.

Marshall D Teach

Yeah, the discussion was comparing 19/20 Barca and 12/13 Barca and I argued 19/20 Barca was a bit better based on CL group stage/big LL game results. You were't convinced.

Turns out, I took a L because 19/20 Barca got annihilated just like 12/13 did. :lol:

EDIT: I actually took the optimistic position back then and got burned. I see the reason for confusion...my post made it seem like you did :lol:

12/13 is when Barca became mental midgets.

Crazy how they were able to bully the Getafes and Mallorcas week in week out but get demolished in every big game. That 4-0 to Bayern left me speechless. Never seen a season like that, from any club. That team should have been right up there with Bayern as CL favorites based on league performance.

Much better squad than 19/20 but hardly less mentally fragile.

I blame Alba.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

12/13 is when Barca became mental midgets.

Crazy how they were able to bully the Getafes and Mallorcas week in week out but get demolished in every big game. That 4-0 to Bayern left me speechless. Never seen a season like that, from any club.

Much better squad than 19/20 but hardly less mentally fragile.

I blame Alba.

I don't think it's a mentality decline as much as it was a decline in players who were previously great + getting new players who were suspect mentally.

Guys like Xavi and Puyol and Villa were quite declined by 12/13.

We brought suspect players like Sanchez + Cesc + Alba and then a whole bunch of rubbish from 2015 onwards.

We got lucky with Suarez and Neymar in 2015 and had a dominant last hurrah with some of the old guard (Messi, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Alves). But by 16/17 only Neymar wasn't declining.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I don't think it's a mentality decline as much as it was a decline in players who were previously great + getting new players who were suspect mentally.

We brought suspect players like Sanchez + Cesc + Alba and then a whole bunch of rubbish from 2015 onwards.

We got lucky with Suarez and Neymar in 2015 and had a dominant last hurrah with some of the old guard (Messi, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Alves). But by 16/17 only Neymar wasn't declining.

+ Messi injury since the psg away match

Fati_Future_BallonDor

The mentality thing started in 17/18 with the 0-3 in roma. When we lost under Lucho in 16/17 we didnt lose because we were mentally weak but because we were just bad.

Marshall D Teach

+ Messi injury since the psg away match

We got wrecked by AC Milan :)lol:) long before that and it didn't stop the team from bullying the Mallorcas of the world.

Some of the old guard had declined mentally by then too. Namely Pique and Busquets. Especially Pique, Pep thought he was done but Lucho (GOD) managed to give him one last hurrah.

Last edited:

BarcaOG

Banned

nicely put

KingLeo10

I have a hard time buying that players who were serial winners with multiple CLs, WC, Euro, LLs were mentally weak all of a sudden.

IMO, it was that those players who began their cycle in 2008 were already declining by 2013...and we just bought a bunch of mental midgets outside of Suarez and Neymar.

Obviously some of the younger players from the 08 cycle like Messi, Busquets, Pique didn't start their full decline until 16-17 onwards (although in Messi's case he had a last hurrah individually in 18/19).

Fati_Future_BallonDor

We got wrecked by AC Milan :)lol:) long before that and it didn't stop the team from bullying the Mallorcas of the world.

Well we just underrated milan in first leg. Just because you lose it doesnt mean you are mentally weak, real lost in 12-13 against dortmund 1-4, are they now also mentally weak? Or even bayern got smashed 0-4 from real 2014 and i dont think you would add them to mentally crap teams.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
According to MD, we will lose out $20.2m if we fail to qualify for the CL group of 16, that's the amount that the club had initially budgeted so failure to advance out of the group stages will have some serious consequences and impact on our bottom line this season (forecasted with a 1m profit). MD didn't say how much money participating in the EL would earn, I don't think we will miss out the entire 20.2m but a big chunk of it is probably given.

Neymessi

One thing I never understood is why Lucho let the foot off the pedal during the 2015 CL second leg. It was clear from the start Lucho told the players to not play 100 %. Why? Did we have an important match that weekend? I can't remember. I hate how we are always the "nice" team of Europe.

Some say he put the foot off the pedal but I doubt. This was Bayern away and a semi-final. I think we went seriously in the game but bayern were good enough to overpower us. Thankfully Mats had a monstrous game that day which he has come nowhere near to perform lately.

I want to qualify mostly for money.

R16 of CL brings more money than winning EL.

Can someone verify this?

Neymessi

What is the worst-case scenario?

Is it a 6-0 thrashing? No, because a lot of us are won't be surprised.

Worst case scenario would be if we lost 6-0 or something and Kiev managed to beat benfica :lol:

Barcilliant

I have a hard time buying that players who were serial winners with multiple CLs, WC, Euro, LLs were mentally weak all of a sudden.

IMO, it was that those players who began their cycle in 2008 were already declining by 2013...and we just bought a bunch of mental midgets outside of Suarez and Neymar.

Obviously some of the younger players from the 08 cycle like Messi, Busquets, Pique didn't start their full decline until 16-17 onwards (although in Messi's case he had a last hurrah individually in 18/19).

We had 3 goal cushions against both Roma and Liverpool. While Roma were a good side they were nothing special. That asshole Shitverde decided he wanted to park the bus and we got spanked. Shitverde let the amigos run the club. Training was never intense and our players became very complacent and mentally weak. The way you train is the way you play.
That first leg against Liverpool was our last decent Cl performance. Yes, Liverpool were unlucky but we still showed grit and didn't concede a goal. We then lost to a Liverpool side without their two starting forwards.
The team got lazy and mentally weak.

Home of Barca Fans