CL | Round 6: Bayern Munchen - FC Barcelona 3-0

malvolio

Some say he put the foot off the pedal but I doubt. This was Bayern away and a semi-final. I think we went seriously in the game but bayern were good enough to overpower us. Thankfully Mats had a monstrous game that day which he has come nowhere near to perform lately.

Mats was very good, but he wasn't the main reason we afforded to take it easy a bit on the return leg. MSN was.

Bayern was just outgunned in that tie. There was no defense stopping that attack, that season. Barca went through all major candidates in that CL run, if I remember correctly.

gregorrin10

I love Xavi and always will, but he should really grow a pair and BENCH both Alba and Pique and play Araujo, Garcia/Mingueza and Balde for this one!!! No use or space for players who are broken/done either physically (Pique) or mentally (Alba) for a high pressure game decider like this. Pique and Alba have more than proven to be useless liabilities in games like these every single time, they simply aren't up for it anymore. Above all else we need fearless players, who have nothing to lose, and don't have bad past experiences creeping into their minds mid-game, because we as a club have nothing to lose going into this game, since the whole world thinks, almost expects we're getting hammered.

And it could work as a genuine shock factor to Bayern too, maybe even to the point of them changing their initial approach of going all out and putting high pressure on us, because they know players like Pique and Alba won't be able to handle it. Especially if Balde makes a few good runs in behind along with Dembele in the opening few minutes to make them think twice about pressing us too high. otherwise expect the same old crying at half time, while Lewa&company run rings around Pique and Bayern demolishing us like 4-0.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The winner of the EL (which would be far from guaranteed btw with teams like Dortmund, Sevilla?, Atalanta/Villarreal, Leipzig, Atletico/Milan/Porto, Leicester, Napoli, West Ham) gets 14M. Reaching the round of 16 alone in the CL is worth 16M. It's just a huge difference, much bigger then the actual drop in quality of teams we'd be facing, especially since 7 of them drop out with us from the CL (level) anyway.

So 14m is the maximum a team can get, if winning the championship? Any information on how much each win/draw earns for the EL teams?

FinBarcelonafan

So 14m is the maximum a team can get, if winning the championship? Any information on how much each win/draw earns for the EL teams?

https://mobile.twitter.com/swissramble/status/1209013824818438145

Check this out. Basically making to group stages will make us more money than winning EL.

EL finalist 39-46 million. (Chelsea and Arsenal)

CL the biggest money Barcelona 117mil and Liverpool 111mil.

Money from CL 2018-19:
https://mobile.twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1209013679766884357/photo/1

Money from EL 2018-19:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1209013729263849472

Last edited:

gregorrin10

According to MD, we will lose out $20.2m if we fail to qualify for the CL group of 16, that's the amount that the club had initially budgeted so failure to advance out of the group stages will have some serious consequences and impact on our bottom line this season (forecasted with a 1m profit). MD didn't say how much money participating in the EL would earn, I don't think we will miss out the entire 20.2m but a big chunk of it is probably given.

Can someone verify this?

The winner of the EL (which would be far from guaranteed btw with teams like Dortmund, Sevilla?, Atalanta/Villarreal, Leipzig, Atletico/Milan/Porto, Leicester, Napoli, West Ham) gets 14M. Reaching the round of 16 alone in the CL is worth 16M. It's just a huge difference, much bigger then the actual drop in quality of teams we'd be facing, especially since 7 of them drop out with us from the CL (level) anyway.

Plus even if we do make a deep run in the EL, the Thursday/Sunday schedule almost every week would really hurt us in the league in our quest for top 4. Putting every egg in the 'winning the EL to qualify to CL' basket would be a big gamble, teams only start thinking about winning it once they reach the semifinals, and we'd need to knock three teams out before even getting to that stage, that's 6 extra high pressure games, we have to remember that EL has the round of 32 too, that's one more round and two extra knockout games, although the first opponent would probably be easier, since we come down from the CL, we'd be playing one of the 2nd placed teams in the EL group stages, but that could still be the likes of Napoli, if they manage to get it and if we're really unlucky with the draw.

I'd honestly take us going out in the round of 16 in the CL, collecting that 16M, and finishing our European season in March, and then focus all of our attention to getting that top 4 in the league until the end of the season. I'd certainly take that over playing Thursday night football and our not very deep (at least not in quality) squad being conflicted about which competition to take more seriously and then most likely failing to reach qualifying for the CL in both competitions.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I think it is a wishful thinking to think we would go far in the EL. At this rate with the team we have, laden with injuries, we will probably crash out pretty soon. So we won't be playing on Thursdays for too long. :lol:

jairzinho

I love Xavi and always will, but he should really grow a pair and BENCH both Alba and Pique and play Araujo, Garcia/Mingueza and Balde for this one!!! No use or space for players who are broken/done either physically (Pique) or mentally (Alba) for a high pressure game decider like this.

You forgot Sergio Dinosaur Busquets.

:coffee:

KingLeo10

Some say he put the foot off the pedal but I doubt. This was Bayern away and a semi-final. I think we went seriously in the game but bayern were good enough to overpower us. Thankfully Mats had a monstrous game that day which he has come nowhere near to perform lately.

Can someone verify this?

Suarez was taken off at HT at Allianz and we were leading 5-1 then, including 2-1 in the away tie.

Full strength we would have beaten them away too.

Rassvet

Agree. I think the mentality and some of the same problems from later years were evident in that return leg. The difference was just that there was much more individual quality and younger legs in the team.

Rassvet

Maybe recent years have made me too pessimistic regarding this club but I think Bayern at full strength in 2015 would have beaten us.

Lucho got lucky that Robben, Alaba, and Ribery were out so they had bums at both fullback positions and no pace or width in attack.

iniestaGOAT

I love Xavi and always will, but he should really grow a pair and BENCH both Alba and Pique and play Araujo, Garcia/Mingueza and Balde for this one!!! No use or space for players who are broken/done either physically (Pique) or mentally (Alba) for a high pressure game decider like this. Pique and Alba have more than proven to be useless liabilities in games like these every single time, they simply aren't up for it anymore. Above all else we need fearless players, who have nothing to lose, and don't have bad past experiences creeping into their minds mid-game, because we as a club have nothing to lose going into this game, since the whole world thinks, almost expects we're getting hammered.

And it could work as a genuine shock factor to Bayern too, maybe even to the point of them changing their initial approach of going all out and putting high pressure on us, because they know players like Pique and Alba won't be able to handle it. Especially if Balde makes a few good runs in behind along with Dembele in the opening few minutes to make them think twice about pressing us too high. otherwise expect the same old crying at half time, while Lewa&company run rings around Pique and Bayern demolishing us like 4-0.

Conte and spurs too unless they were kicked out already plus its a lot of games and our squad is very thin even with teengers

iniestaGOAT

We had 3 goal cushions against both Roma and Liverpool. While Roma were a good side they were nothing special. That asshole Shitverde decided he wanted to park the bus and we got spanked. Shitverde let the amigos run the club. Training was never intense and our players became very complacent and mentally weak. The way you train is the way you play.
That first leg against Liverpool was our last decent Cl performance. Yes, Liverpool were unlucky but we still showed grit and didn't concede a goal. We then lost to a Liverpool side without their two starting forwards.
The team got lazy and mentally weak.

Roma we played crap and did nothing took it for granted. Shitverde is definetely the reason.
Liverpool first leg we were crap. Liverpool dominated us but we had messi.
Second leg if i remember correclty we had 3-4 golden chances to score at anfield first half liverpool were crap. Then second half the team just became mental midgets probably started with alba crying for no fucking reason.

Barcilliant

Roma we played crap and did nothing took it for granted. Shitverde is definetely the reason.
Liverpool first leg we were crap. Liverpool dominated us but we had messi.
Second leg if i remember correclty we had 3-4 golden chances to score at anfield first half liverpool were crap. Then second half the team just became mental midgets probably started with alba crying for no fucking reason.
Yeah, Alba crying. What a pussy. That idiot Shitverde should have subbed him asap and any other crybaby too.
Alot of these memories, the wounds are still open-"especially for the fans. I suspect for the players too.

Home of Barca Fans