Claudio Bravo

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Let me ask you this:

If he would play like shit all first season long instead of Zamora + clean sheet record, would you use it as an argument? Not, right?

So, again. Did he played good because he got to play more often, or maybe is because he is a good keeper...mmm he doesnt play often for Chile, but he plays good. What is this sorcery?

No I was just assuming since he played more games he had more ratings overall. Good and bad.

Observer

Banned
Speaking only on Barca:

I think Mats has played better the second part of 2nd season as it been established during this & Mats thread.

Claudio clearly dropped his form during 2016, he played some good matches too, but generally Mats was better in 2016 (which is still undergoing btw, as well as the rating).

sabby

Say what? Didnt he prove the opposite by playing very good in CL KO games? And how do you expect him to get ready to play regularly by sitting on the bench? He has already missed 2 years of time to improve his skills and get experience. He is ready to play and he has already proved it. Either reverse their roles, split the games by 50/50, let them play 2 months each or whatever or loan MaTS out.

You seemed to miss the keyword "regular". MatS has steadily improved. But he's nowhere near his potential at the biggest level. Playing two matches against the same opponents a week apart is different than playing a couple of big/tough liga matches as well as CL matches every 3 days. Out ultimate goal is to have MatS to be the only GK in all tournaments when he is fit in the longer run. I do agree with you that he needs to get more matches in Liga too, may be starting with some easy home matches and then away matches against smaller opponents. When it comes to GK and Defenders, slow and steady improvement is the way to go.

navidjaan

Diego Alves has accepted replacing Bravo if the latter chooses to leave, according to Cadena SER. Great choice for Barça.

F

Flavia

You seemed to miss the keyword "regular". MatS has steadily improved. But he's nowhere near his potential at the biggest level. Playing two matches against the same opponents a week apart is different than playing a couple of big/tough liga matches as well as CL matches every 3 days. Out ultimate goal is to have MatS to be the only GK in all tournaments when he is fit in the longer run. I do agree with you that he needs to get more matches in Liga too, may be starting with some easy home matches and then away matches against smaller opponents. When it comes to GK and Defenders, slow and steady improvement is the way to go.

Why easy home matches or smaller opponents? Guy has played vs bayern, juve, city, psg, atletico. He needs consistent playing time. He's not an youngest anymore, he's 24. Switching their roles is the best solution.

Diego Alves has accepted replacing Bravo if the latter chooses to leave, according to Cadena SER. Great choice for Barça.

I don't really believe that. Alves has a chance to be the main gk for the brazilian nt, but he won't do that from the bench. I don't believe Bravo will leave either.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

Good choice, but he's 31. Not sure why he would want to ride the bench at this age unless Lucho want to do ter Stegen over again by playing Alves in goal in the league :lol:

And what Flavia said. It just sounds strange.

khaled_a_d

Good choice, but he's 31. Not sure why he would want to ride the bench at this age unless Lucho want to do ter Stegen over again by playing Alves in goal in the league :lol:

And what Flavia said. It just sounds strange.

I think he will get the chance to play CDR & CL.And this is probably the only way to have a good 2nd choice GK tbh.
Also being 31,the door for playing into a club like Barca will close soon.so he might accept it.

DonAK

I think he will get the chance to play CDR & CL.And this is probably the only way to have a good 2nd choice GK tbh.
Also being 31,the door for playing into a club like Barca will close soon.so he might accept it.

The thing is, if Lucho makes the decision to switch, Bravo staying or leaving, I fully expect ter Stegen to get both CL and La Liga in 2017/18. So would just be one season for Diego Alves at that role.

We might see his departure after a season if he becomes Brazil's NT GK. Why not just get Reina in that case and give tS LL + CL now?

That said, I think Bravo will stay and should get CL + CDR. If he want to leave then he should express his wish soon or forget it. No way we let this drag on until mid-August.

Last edited:

Devils

We should sign Diego Alves just for the sake of stopping him from putting on world class performance against us every season.

khaled_a_d

The thing is, if Lucho makes the decision to switch, Bravo staying or leaving, I fully expect ter Stegen to get both CL and La Liga in 2017/18. So would just be one season for Diego Alves at that role.

We might see his departure after a season if he becomes Brazil's NT GK. Why not just get Reina in that case and give tS LL + CL now?

That said, I think Bravo will stay and should get CL + CDR. If he want to leave then he should express his wish soon or forget it. No way we let this drag on until mid-August.

Getting Reina is simply getting back to Pinto era(which isn't bad btw),he is almost 34 and more important he has been past his prime for around 3 or 4 years now.It will be a risk to have him.
It seem like a world trend for big clubs right now to have 2 high level Gk,if we want to keep it this way there should be sacrifices made and MATS or anyone else should forget about playing both CL & Liga IMO.if we want to go the old way and have a clear no1 who plays both then we will risk that with an OK old GK like Reina and hope that he can keep his form and that MATS won't get inured

DonAK

Getting Reina is simply getting back to Pinto era(which isn't bad btw),he is almost 34 and more important he has been past his prime for around 3 or 4 years now.It will be a risk to have him.
It seem like a world trend for big clubs right now to have 2 high level Gk,if we want to keep it this way there should be sacrifices made and MATS or anyone else should forget about playing both CL & Liga IMO.if we want to go the old way and have a clear no1 who plays both then we will risk that with an OK old GK like Reina and hope that he can keep his form and that MATS won't get inured

Which teams have two high level GKs?

Real Madrid have Keylor Navas and Kiko Casilla. Wouldn't say Casilla is that high level.

Bayern got Neuer, Starke and Ulreich.

Juventus got Buffon, Neto and Audero.

That's arguably our three toughest opponents for the CL the upcoming season.

If you take Atletico with in it too, then they got Oblak and Moya(who's decent).

I don't see any trend here. Reina is the starting GK for Napoli so he's not that bad, even if he's declined. The only teams that have had two high level GKs recently are us and Chelsea, but they sold Petr Cech eventually.

Those teams including us in the past have won a lot and won big without having two top class GKs. It's a luxury, not a necessity. And usually you can't afford that luxury for too long either.

And I don't think we should keep up with this one GK for the league and another one for the cups for much longer either. Everyone else have one Starting GK that plays the two biggest competitions and so should we starting from 2017 IMO.

Last edited:

DonAK

I'd add Diego Lopez and Casillas right when Real had signed the former.

You could argue their case too, even though Casillas was in a rapid decline. And even then, they shipped Diego Lopez too because they had to sell one of them. So again, I don't see any World trend or a case of this working for very long.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Which teams have two high level GKs?

Real Madrid have Keylor Navas and Kiko Casilla. Wouldn't say Casilla is that high level.

Bayern got Neuer, Starke and Ulreich.

Juventus got Buffon, Neto and Audero.

That's arguably our three toughest opponents for the CL the upcoming season.

If you take Atletico with in it too, then they got Oblak and Moya(who's decent).

I don't see any trend here. Reina is the starting GK for Napoli so he's not that bad, even if he's declined. The only teams that have had two high level GKs recently are us and Chelsea, but they sold Petr Cech eventually.

Those teams including us in the past have won a lot and won big without having two top class GKs. It's a luxury, not a necessity. And usually you can't afford that luxury for too long either.

And I don't think we should keep up with this one GK for the league and another one for the cups for much longer either. Everyone else have one Starting GK that plays the two biggest competitions and so should we starting from 2017 IMO.

The problem is Mats is not as good as any of the starting goal keepers mentioned above. But bravo is more closer imho. He regained his form pretty well and he had great performances in copa during the final stages. It doesn't make sense to sell him or bench him yet. If Lucho trusts Mats then I would welcome the decision of selling him or benching him but I will be more comfortable knowing we have 2 good goalkeepers on the roster and they both get better because of the competition.

DonAK

I feel like we're going in circles here @Icarium

IMO, and something that has proved to be vital for GKs is...regular playing time.

All those I mentioned got it at ter Stegen's age. I don't see how anyone can come to the conclusion that he's not good enough for a starting role and that Bravo is that much better than him that we're losing out big by playing MAtS regularly.

I think just in the last 15 years we've tried out several GKs that haven't reached a satisfactory level. Yet ter Stegen has managed to stay relevant with irregular playing time, with minutes spread out all over the season instead of every week. Especially when you consider he arrived without knowing the league or language. That itself is a testament of his talent and mentality needed to succeed here.

The most recent example of a young GK struggling until he started playing every week is Oblak.

If Barça don't trust ter Stegen after two full years then he'll not trust the club and request a transfer, and that IMO would be a pity. Someone signed for 12m slipping out of our hands because the club didn't have the vision even someone like Jose Mourinho had by starting Courtois over a club legend like Cech.

Battery on my mobile ran out so will finish my post;

Anyway, I'm not saying we should sell Bravo. I'd like him to stay and see a switch of roles for a season.

I'm only saying that the other teams don't have two World Class GKs, because it's not a necessity, and when other major teams have tried that, it have not worked successfully.

If the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea and last year's CL finalist can trust a young GK to deliver, then I don't see why we can't after having him settle in for two years. I see that the club have told the guy that they trust him and see him as its future GK, but if they can't show that, then their words account for nothing.

And if ter Stegen gets the message that he can't be trusted with the league after two years then it's unreasonable to tell him to stay another season for it. What's to say they'll trust him after three years when they won't after two years of CL football with winning it once, learning the language and speaking it fluently, and showing that he can command the defence now too.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans