Clément Lenglet (loaned to Atletico)

xXKonan

At 23 it's expected to have a number of flaws that still need to be ironed out a bit.

Some pros.

- Tall (6'2)
- Decent pace
- Not all that with the ball with his feet.
- Hard working
- Physically strong

Some cons

- Positional issues and to be fair at his age it's obviously not going to be perfect and even Umtiti who is two years his senior has some problems in this area at times as well.

- He's really rash. I mean from what I've watched of his games for Sevilla he's a player that won't give a inch which leads him to be rash and careless with his challenges a lot. But I think in time with experience he can improve on that.

- He's left footed well technically wouldn't really consider this a Con but we already have two other CB's who are left footed but I don't think he's all that bad with is right foot honestly.

- Price 35 Million +3, is around 13 more than we paid for Umtiti who was considered highly rated in Ligue 1 and compared to Lenglet who is largely a unknown quality before his Sevilla days and he didn't really come into his own until last season in a tactically dysfunctional Sevilla side. But I guess that's how it is I guess.

I could see why a lot of folks aren't really high on him and would prefer to spend the money on a player like Pavard who can play RB/CB or even De Ligt who is younger but incredibly talented with a high ceiling. But I'm going to give him a chance to see what he can do for us and really gauge if he is really good enough to be in Barcelona long term.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
[MENTION=19222]xXKonan[/MENTION] Market inflated considably since we got Umtiti.
[MENTION=20930]Messi983[/MENTION] You really like Lenglet?

Messi983

Yes, I like him. I'm only a bit sceptical if he can play together with Umtiti since they are both left footed.

Catta

I don't see a problem if they are both left footed. Most clubs play with 2 right footed CBs, and have no problems, why would 2 left footed CBs be a problem then.
Marquez-Puyol, Pique-Puyol, Pique-Mascherano, all were right footed and were great CB partners, the same as Pepe-Ramos, Varane-Ramos, Godin-Gimenez, Godin-Miranda, etc.
We started this obsession with one right and one left footed CB when Lucho took over, and it stayed like that after him.

I don't see a problem if they are both left footed. Most clubs play with 2 right footed CBs, and have no problems, why would 2 left footed CBs be a problem then.
Marquez-Puyol, Pique-Puyol, Pique-Mascherano, all were right footed and were great CB partners, the same as Pepe-Ramos, Varane-Ramos, Godin-Gimenez, Godin-Miranda, etc.
We started this obsession with one right and one left footed CB when Lucho took over, and it stayed like that after him.

Its fact that left footed players mostly use ther dominant foot, contrary to right footed player which use weaker foot much more often. Its also about training proces-left footed CB are in minority, so every one of them will automatically play as LEFT CB, contrary to right footed which have to learn to play on both CB sides. Umtiti is very good with his weaker foot and he is also totaly different player when playing RCB.
And about LB, yes maybe he could play that position, but not here in Barca. Mathieu was really fast as CB but we all saw his struggles playing on LB. So no please.

FC433

Its fact that left footed players mostly use ther dominant foot, contrary to right footed player which use weaker foot much more often. Its also about training proces-left footed CB are in minority, so every one of them will automatically play as LEFT CB, contrary to right footed which have to learn to play on both CB sides. Umtiti is very good with his weaker foot and he is also totaly different player when playing RCB.
And about LB, yes maybe he could play that position, but not here in Barca. Mathieu was really fast as CB but we all saw his struggles playing on LB. So no please.

Exactly. Most RF CBs play both positions from a young age because there are many of them. However, LF CBs rarely play on the rigth side. Does not mean much just yet, we have to wait and see how he plays.

Home of Barca Fans