Clément Lenglet (loaned to Atletico)

jamrock

Starting CB partnership will be Pique - Umtiti

At the end of the season pique - Umtiti

Big games Pique - Umtiti

This guy is looking excellent though, although it's just friendlies

psychotsek

Paulo Maldini and Nesta were both Right footed.

Turned out to be arguably the best defensive duo.

Dude come on!Paolo Maldini although he used both his feet equally good he was Left footed. He played as LB and even as LM sometimes in the early stages of his career.

Last edited:

xXKonan

Maldini started out as a Right back but would later switch to LB as he was also adept with his Left foot as well.

psychotsek

My bad I remember seeing him most of his career on the left side. Anyway after a quick search he was born right footed but could use both feet equally well.

Arizona Scott

I am glad to hear about the Lenglet. That said I think Pique underrated and Umtiti overrated. I think Umtiti being distracted was a big reason the Roma tie ever got in question after leg 1 and Umtiti's errors led to brief period where we dropped points in the league and Valverde got freaked out, and burned on the players in the league.
Umtiti also got cute a few times in the world cup and it almost burned France. Pique is mental (organizational) and emotional captain of the defense--Umtiti and Lenglet for now are not that, and their jobs are much simpler being next to Pique. Same thing Ramos affords Varane and Nacho--simpler duties.

Andrew M

I am glad to hear about the Lenglet. That said I think Pique underrated and Umtiti overrated. I think Umtiti being distracted was a big reason the Roma tie ever got in question after leg 1 and Umtiti's errors led to brief period where we dropped points in the league and Valverde got freaked out, and burned on the players in the league.
Umtiti also got cute a few times in the world cup and it almost burned France. Pique is mental (organizational) and emotional captain of the defense--Umtiti and Lenglet for now are not that, and their jobs are much simpler being next to Pique. Same thing Ramos affords Varane and Nacho--simpler duties.

So it's Umtiti's fault we got knocked out of the CL? I disagree with that.

Donatello

Dude come on!Paolo Maldini although he used both his feet equally good he was Left footed. He played as LB and even as LM sometimes in the early stages of his career.

Yeah he could play with both. But he was primarily a right footed and yes he did play LB despite that.

Arizona Scott

So it's Umtiti's fault we got knocked out of the CL? I disagree with that.

I think it Umtiti being asleep on Dzeko on a relatively straitforward early ball in Leg 2 gave Roma belief they otherwise never would have had. I think this was the key play.

The other key play keeping the die from being done and dusted was bad marking by Alba for the Dzeko goal at the Camp Nou, Umtiti was also the nearest center back that might have helped, though I put it on Alba 80% for not staying between Dzeko and goal.

Truth is Barca should have had to score a goal after being 3-0 at the Cam Nou--and Umtiti was chiefly responsible and partly responsible for the goals that kept it from being a relaxed win over a far inferior opponent who never should have stood a chance. Personally it looked like Umtiti's mind was clouded with thoughts entertaining leaving the club--when we needed a rock (particularly with Pique playing through injury), he was not there for Barca. I think he needs to make it right next year and thereafter, and think he is capable of it. But I did see this troubling, arrogant, mistakes for France. Want him to clean that up.

Andrew M

I think it Umtiti being asleep on Dzeko on a relatively straitforward early ball in Leg 2 gave Roma belief they otherwise never would have had. I think this was the key play.

The other key play keeping the die from being done and dusted was bad marking by Alba for the Dzeko goal at the Camp Nou, Umtiti was also the nearest center back that might have helped, though I put it on Alba 80% for not staying between Dzeko and goal.

Truth is Barca should have had to score a goal after being 3-0 at the Cam Nou--and Umtiti was chiefly responsible and partly responsible for the goals that kept it from being a relaxed win over a far inferior opponent who never should have stood a chance. Personally it looked like Umtiti's mind was clouded with thoughts entertaining leaving the club--when we needed a rock (particularly with Pique playing through injury), he was not there for Barca. I think he needs to make it right next year and thereafter, and think he is capable of it. But I did see this troubling, arrogant, mistakes for France. Want him to clean that up.

It's not Umtiti's fault we got overwhelmed on every centimetre of the pitch. Real Madrid go a goal down in the CL all the time yet still recover and have that belief.

Arizona Scott

It's not Umtiti's fault we got overwhelmed on every centimetre of the pitch. Real Madrid go a goal down in the CL all the time yet still recover and have that belief.

All Barca needed to do was defend from various positions 3-0, 4-1. Without those mental defensive errors it wouldn't have matter the forwards and midfield had been a bit run into the ground (which Valverde bears some responsibility with lack of rotations in League play) and lacking in spirit.

Home of Barca Fans