Confederations Cup 2013 - Final: Brazil 3-0 Spain

Meitux

Yet world class managers like Mourinho and VDB still played him regularly. Much better defensively than the likes of Alves, Carvajal etc.

So want to see Taihiti score here!
Did Real had anybody there to play except him? Essien really? and dont say Ramos cause he plays CB nowdays and i bet you will rarely see him at RB anymore

footyfan

Calma, calma
This article is two years old but is a good read. Maybe Flavia can update us on the current situation:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=110510/Rio

At the moment, the protests are due to the corruption and the exceptionally high costs for stadium revitalizations (half of the money is going to politicians' pockets). They hiked public transportation costs by 20 centavos (cents) but the crime in Rio seems to be a much wider, long term issue.

I went to Brazil around the time the article came out and was told multiple times not to wander around after hours or take pictures in certain locations. It's local drug dealers there who set the curfew. The up side to Rio is Copacabana, Sugar Loaf Mountain and the Redeemer statue. I had much more fun in Salvador, Bahia and a stretch of beaches around Sao Paulo.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

The protesting started because of the price of transportation in sao paulo, but now it became bigger than that. I don't know how much you guys know about corruption here in Brazil, but it's huge. The construction of stadiums for the wc is already around the double or triple of initial numbers. Also, all this money being invested on stadiums, instead of health care, education, etc, is making people angry. The tax rate here is also one of the biggest in the world... So many things.

footyfan

Calma, calma
10-15 years ago, Brazil was one of the fastest growing economies in the world.

Starting with Lula's second term continuing into Ms. Rousseff's tenure, however, a string of poor financial decisions caused by government interference in Central Bank affairs (coupled with the global recession) has dropped Brazil's growth rate to just 0.9% this year. I don't know about how long the corruption has been there for but it's certainly huge now. You generally see it in any country that has extremely high growth rate which causes huge inequalities in money distribution.

But it only comes to the forefront when when the economy suddenly drops i.e when people start suffering and mitigation measures are put in place. I can totally understand why the Brazilian people are angry.

Home of Barca Fans