Votes: 0 0.0%
  • USA

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maradona37

What makes Argentina so formidable is not just that they're so good in forward areas and have technicians like Mac Allister and Fernandez in midfield - it's also that they have so many warriors in their team.

I have noticed it for a few years now - something switched and they started showing so much more fight on the park. By that I mean they are first to every tackle, they block off passing lanes, they read the game well and intercept so smartly. Even when they make a mistake, like a stray pass in midfield a few minutes ago. Against other teams Canada would have forged a chance, but an Argentina defender (think it was Romero) won a last ditch tackle. And they have lots of players who have that fight in them - Dibu,Lisandro Martinez, Romero, Molina, De Paul, Mac Allister, Alvarez etc. They're a team of fighters as well as technicians, and are not afraid to get stuck in like other South American teams. But they also have more quality as footballers. It's just so noticeable how they win so many challenges and read so many movements, and that (and the goakeeper) is what accounts for their clean sheet record.

It's that blend of brilliant technique as well as heart and fight that makes them so stong.

companyofcules

So the tactic was good to overcrowd the right wing and even the left one. But that made Argentina very passive. What bothered me a bit was the many wrong passes by the defenders, but I think they got bored with how average that team of runners is.
I am sad for Davies, he is truly a gifted player and got a bad injury.

Maradona37

Canada did well to be fair, and had a lot of decent chances. Both Argentina goals came at points too when the game was fairly evenly contested.

2-0 was a bit harsh on Canada. Still, Argentina move forward. But I fear they'll have to play significantly better than they have been, whether it is Uruguay or Colombia in the final. Whoever they face will be the best team they've played in the tournament, and a stiff test.

Maradona37

Argentina looks bad. I doubt they win the final. They lack intensity.
Colombia have more cute and creative players who could carve them open. Uruguay are a very high-pressing team too and their energy and dirty nature could make that game a fight or a battle.

Either way, Argentina have a tough game ahead. If Colombia or Uruguay turn up and Argentina still deservedly win the final it would likely go down as the one of their best performances since 2021.

soul24rage

Above average match, but the team got their confidence back after that scare from the Ecuador game. Thank god in the final this team will be playing on natural grass and not on artificial pitch. I said this several times already, the artificial pitch makes the team's play so much harder as they rely on quick 1-2 touches and precise passing.

- Julian MOTM for me. First 20 minutes, Canada gave us some scare, but glad that Julian scored that goal and we were able to calm down. Hustled hard and intercepted well. His touches today were on point.
- Messi and RDP stepped up today. Messi looks so much better physically today and I'm really glad he got that monkey off his back of the goal.

With natural grass in the final and the team getting their confidence back, I'm expecting a better game in the final and that the team is peaking at the right moment.

Vamos Argentina! Another final to win!

Edit: Let's go Leo! call out those bloody awful pitches

Last edited:

Maradona37

Like KingLeo said, America isn't a football country. It isn't really built to hold 'soccer' matches, and a lot of these stadiums are NFL stadia that they call 'multi-purpose'.

The pitches are compromised too, often being plastic. I have played on plastic pitches myself - it doesn't bother me but I am not playing anywhere near the top level of the game.

The pitches haven't been great in the Euros either, in some cities. However, the World Cup could be horrendous in two years. This stadium tonight hosts the World Cup Final in two years. That pitch wouldn't be fit for purpose.

Richard.H

Uruguay and Colombia have been playing a lot better in arguably much more difficult groups and KO matches than Argentina. I don't see Argentina winning the final unless it goes to pens.

Home of Barca Fans