Create a team to beat Barcelona.

W

Worms

LOL LOL LOL Pepe at LB :lol:

Kameni :lol:

Rio and Vidic at CB,why because they play for your favorite team ? lol they are not mobile or clever enough to play against Barca which has already been proven twice.Vidic standing there when Messi scored without closing him down,standing there like a donkey :lol:

Rooney was shit in the final too apart from the offside goal.

Also you do realize Zanetti played left back against Barca?Obviously not as you have put fucking Pepe there lol.

It seems all you have done is pick the 11 best players you can think off and try to fit square pegs into round holes but the team shape and gameplan must ALWAYS come first.

Now for a serious team to challenge the greatest team ever.

-----------------------Neuer
Lahm---------T Silva---------Samuel----Zanetti

--------Cambiasso -----Pepe--
-------------------------------Alvaro Pereira

-----------------Sneider
---Suarez
----------------Eto

Samuel would be the CB who mainly covers but it is essential that both CB's are able to come out of defense to challenge Messi when he receives the ball behind Cambiasso and Pepe.(Vidic and Ferdinand are incapable at doing this to a satisfactory level).When this happens Zanetti has the intelligence to tuck in momentarily and Alvaro Pereira must be alert to track Alves runs.

Cambiasso is proven to be the best DM to play against Barca,he is the master of blocking passing options and with the more aggressive Pepe and Alvaro sometimes making it 3 DM's.

Alvaro would track the runs of Alves and he is also capable of starting counter attacks.He is a superb athlete who is excellent at closing players down and he can play LB,LWB,DM and LM.

Sneider would start counter attacks by using his passing skills to hit Alvaro,Eto and Suarez quickly.He is also mobile and hard working enough to man mark Xavi when Barca have possesion as shown in the 2010 CL.

Eto will mark Busquets when he is playing deep,when he swaps with Xavi and goes further foward Eto and Sneider swap which players they mark.
Suarez and Eto are both mobile and fast,both are lethal at counter attacking and would both interchange positions throughout the match.

What is most important is this system is flexible,the players and formation are capable of adapting to a high pressing or deep gameplan.

To play a more aggresive,high pressure game the formation can easily switch to:

------Cambiasso------Pepe

--------------Sneider

Suarez--------------------Alvaro
--------------Eto

etc

Think my team would stand a decent chance,although more often that not Barca will win like they beat any team most of the time.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
And yes that post took me over half an hour.

you laugh at me for picking Rio but you pick Samuel? I hope your team isn't planning to defend more than 10 yards from your own goal...

Rio and Vidic have been horribly protected by their midfields in both Champions League Finals. alright Vidic got toasted by Eto'o in Rome, but he was excellent otherwise. made several crucial blocks and tackles. perhaps you could switch Rio out for Kompany, but there's not a better reader of the game than Rio (well, Nesta, but he really is finished).

and I know Zanetti played LB, but Inter played narrow and he was in centralish areas quite frequently. and I don't want him at LB because I want my FB's to be athletic so they don't get done for pace by Alexis, Villa, Pedro, etc. and Zanetti is too old to do that in a team that play with any adventure. as a pivot, shielding the defence and doing a job on Messi when he drops deep, he's the perfect choice.

was gonna pick Cucho, but he's finished. went for Yaya's power & drive instead.

Rooney may have been "crap" (he wasn't) but he still scored a lovely goal against Barcelona in a big European Cup tie at a crucial moment for his team. which is more than many great forwards managed last season. and more importantly he works like a dog. so does Eto'o. and that work-rate is crucial. I did think to pick Willian and someone similar (Alvaro's not a bad shout) but I want the strikers to be ice cold in front of goal. and that isn't Alvaro.

and yes, Pepe at LB. if someone can point me to a proven defensive LB I'll be happy to make the switch. right now, though, I'll settle for a Butcher who rarely if ever gets done for pace.

oh please, get off your high horse..Godin is still better than the crippled Rio "i can't rap" Ferdinand.

The Uruguyuan is pacy, good on the ball but also physical and aggressive. He adds that 'bite' to the defense. His positioning can be a suspect but he'll get enough cover. Alongside a competent defender, he's a totally diff proposition.

My team barring a couple, is composed of low key but very capable and no-nonsense players. Players who 'll successfully implement and execute a tactical plan and do a job in a one off fixture.

what has Rio's inability to rap got to do with anything? is this like Redcardscherano?

when Rio's fit, he's brilliant. anyone with eyes and a brain can see that. bit like Puyol, in that regard. though nowhere near as manly.

you have very little athleticism in midfield. we'd pass circles around that central trio. Navas is a great shout, though. he always does brilliantly against us.

Drogba, though I love him, is finished. and he's a monstrous primadonna too.

Isla and Ansaldi do their business as wingbacks. not sure how well they'd function in a back 4.

W

Worms

you laugh at me for picking Rio but you pick Samuel? I hope your team isn't planning to defend more than 10 yards from your own goal...

Rio and Vidic have been horribly protected by their midfields in both Champions League Finals. alright Vidic got toasted by Eto'o in Rome, but he was excellent otherwise. made several crucial blocks and tackles. perhaps you could switch Rio out for Kompany, but there's not a better reader of the game than Rio (well, Nesta, but he really is finished).

and I know Zanetti played LB, but Inter played narrow and he was in centralish areas quite frequently. and I don't want him at LB because I want my FB's to be athletic so they don't get done for pace by Alexis, Villa, Pedro, etc. and Zanetti is too old to do that in a team that play with any adventure. as a pivot, shielding the defence and doing a job on Messi when he drops deep, he's the perfect choice.

was gonna pick Cucho, but he's finished. went for Yaya's power & drive instead.

Rooney may have been "crap" (he wasn't) but he still scored a lovely goal against Barcelona in a big European Cup tie at a crucial moment for his team. which is more than many great forwards managed last season. and more importantly he works like a dog. so does Eto'o. and that work-rate is crucial. I did think to pick Willian and someone similar (Alvaro's not a bad shout) but I want the strikers to be ice cold in front of goal. and that isn't Alvaro.

and yes, Pepe at LB. if someone can point me to a proven defensive LB I'll be happy to make the switch. right now, though, I'll settle for a Butcher who rarely if ever gets done for pace.

what has Rio's inability to rap got to do with anything? is this like Redcardscherano?

when Rio's fit, he's brilliant. anyone with eyes and a brain can see that. bit like Puyol, in that regard. though nowhere near as manly.

you have very little athleticism in midfield. we'd pass circles around that central trio. Navas is a great shout, though. he always does brilliantly against us.

Drogba, though I love him, is finished. and he's a monstrous primadonna too.

Isla and Ansaldi do their business as wingbacks. not sure how well they'd function in a back 4.

Well yes the plan would be to defend quite deep,Inter did last year yet they still pushed high up the pitch with their front four in the first 60 minutes.It was almost like Jose thought we have no chance of matching there midfield for possession so we will give up the midfield and we will just defend and counter attack(until they where leading and parked the bus).

And Alvaro doesn't have to be that clinical,he would play deeper than the front three,he can create from deep positions like Pandev did last year for there second goal.

Also I personally think Samuel is a better reader of the game than Rio and isn't as slow as people like to make out.

Last edited:

Myrmecophile

Mr. Japes
We'll probably lose to Racing or someone like this this year.

A dream team opposition would probably just motivate the team more :lol:

W

Worms

Yes the Drogba and Lucio of 2 years ago and 1 year ago respectively would be in my team.

(Instead of Suarez and Silva)

Last edited:

oz187

I'd go with

----------------------Iker-------------------------
--Maicon-----Lucio------T.Silva-----Coentrao--
----------------------Yaya--------------------------
-----------Sneijder-----------Ozil--------------------
--D.Silva----------------------------------C.Ronaldo-----
-------------------Aguero--------------------------

This is the team I would go for. Yaya and Sneijder provide a physical edge in the midfield and I would seek to dominate the midfield. However this line up would be very strong at maintaining possession as well and the front 6 can play total football, thus causing Barca a lot of defensive problems. So it's not just about trying to stop Xavi and Iniesta with hard work, but putting them on the back foot. In other words taking a leaf out of Barca's book and using attack as the best form of defense. I would put Cristiano in the team as that would force Dani Alves to play more defensive and help neutralise one of Barca's biggest threats.

W

Worms

I'd go with

----------------------Iker-------------------------
--Maicon-----Lucio------T.Silva-----Coentrao--
----------------------Yaya--------------------------
-----------Sneijder-----------Ozil--------------------
--D.Silva----------------------------------C.Ronaldo-----
-------------------Aguero--------------------------

This is the team I would go for. Yaya and Sneijder provide a physical edge in the midfield and I would seek to dominate the midfield. However this line up would be very strong at maintaining possession as well and the front 6 can play total football, thus causing Barca a lot of defensive problems. So it's not just about trying to stop Xavi and Iniesta with hard work, but putting them on the back foot. In other words taking a leaf out of Barca's book and using attack as the best form of defense. I would put Cristiano in the team as that would force Dani Alves to play more defensive and help neutralise one of Barca's biggest threats.

Not sure about Ozil and Sneider in the same team with only Yaya behind them,Ozil doesn't play well against Barca either.

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
I like the idea of this thread. I shall have a think over the next couple of days and come back to you, but I am positive that the formation has to be the Lux's Magic Box. 4-2-2-2

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I like the idea of this thread. I shall have a think over the next couple of days and come back to you, but I am positive that the formation has to be the Lux's Magic Box. 4-2-2-2

I would have agreed with you a few months ago, but the 3133 has just shown it can DESTROY the magic box.

Home of Barca Fans