Cristiano Ronaldo - v1

AnnieSureshot

I think in extreme and unhealthy cases most of the time yes.
The most confident people I have met are usually people that don't aim for much and live a simple life as they feel they are already rich and can appreciate what they have.
They don't have a feeling of inferiority because of their lack of wanting more, and can appreciate what they have and are not out to prove anyone of something. Simply put, they don't care what others think. Insecure people usually want to overcompensate instead of accepting their shortcomings.

The way I see it is that if you don't aim high and are satisfied with a "simple life" (which I have nothing against) your bar is not set particularly high, so you have nothing to feel confident or not about. Like what can you fail at? Putting breakfast in your mouth? In my early 20s I lived a bit like that among people who also lived like that and what prompted me to get out of that situation and do something a bit less "simple" was not insecurity but just plain boredom. I like the "achievement high" turns out and I think a lot of people like Ronaldo, Messi etc enjoy that too.

But the biggest hint for me is how Ronaldo gets frustrated so easily on the pitch and is disappointed in himself.
A recent instance is him refusing to give Ramos a hand. Most people read this as a disrespect towards Ramos, but what I actually think is going on is, is that Ronaldo feels too disappointed about his own performance leaving him to feel unworthy of Ramos's praise.

I read that as he didn't think there was a reason for silly congratulations if they play shit. Feeling unhappy with your performance doesn't have to mean you feel "unworthy". I might be projecting my own feelings onto him, and that can be totally wrong but it is really possible to feel annoyed with yourself for not doing well while not being insecure about it.
Also when you're at the top - where he obviously sees himself - falling even to the second spot hurts far more than falling from No. 35 to 36.

Horatio

You're welcome
The way I see it is that if you don't aim high and are satisfied with a "simple life" (which I have nothing against) your bar is not set particularly high, so you have nothing to feel confident or not about. Like what can you fail at? Putting breakfast in your mouth? In my early 20s I lived a bit like that among people who also lived like that and what prompted me to get out of that situation and do something a bit less "simple" was not insecurity but just plain boredom. I like the "achievement high" turns out and I think a lot of people like Ronaldo, Messi etc enjoy that too.

I think insecurity lies in the motive. You can get out of a situation because it becomes tiring and there is need for a change, or it is still not a pleasant situation for you.
If you want to achieve for the sole reason of proving yourself to others...then maybe that will point into the direction of insecurity.
I also would like to state that living a simple life is not difficult, but living a simple life and being content is completely different within a society that puts constant expectations on you.
You say "Like what can you fail at? Putting breakfast in your mouth?" almost making it sound simple, but I have a lot more respect for the Argentinian hippies whom I met on my travels that make their money from baking and selling cupcakes and then continue their travels truly happy with their lifestyle than some people that have for example monetary success.

I read that as he didn't think there was a reason for silly congratulations if they play shit. Feeling unhappy with your performance doesn't have to mean you feel "unworthy". I might be projecting my own feelings onto him, and that can be totally wrong but it is really possible to feel annoyed with yourself for not doing well while not being insecure about it.
Also when you're at the top - where he obviously sees himself - falling even to the second spot hurts far more than falling from No. 35 to 36.

You're right, I shouldn't be projecting my feelings onto the situation as well. But their have been numerous tells with Ronaldo, I don't base it on one incident.
I don't care honestly if the guy is insecure or not, I actually wish the guy the best. But my arguments are just based on what I see and behaviour I recognize in the people around me and myself. To me personally it just looks that way. I could always be wrong.

And shoutout to them hippies.

Last edited:

footyfan

Calma, calma
Depends on what you prefer I guess: listening to someone borring you to death or to a narcissistic personality who thinks he is God's gift to the mankind.
And by the way, Xavi doesn't fit in either of those categories. The man has his flaws, but you can actually learn something about football when you read his interviews.

I find the narcissist personality to be way better. I have watched almost all Messi interviews on Youtube and the only thing I've found interesting is that his favorite food is a simple roast or some Neapolitan thing. Cool.

The best interviews are coming from Zlatan, Mourinho, Ronaldo etc. Xavi's interviews are good because of his confidence and because he talks freely. But once you get past a certain amount of info, they just repeat themselves.

Maria

I find the narcissist personality to be way better. I have watched almost all Messi interviews on Youtube and the only thing I've found interesting is that his favorite food is a simple roast or some Neapolitan thing. Cool.

The best interviews are coming from Zlatan, Mourinho, Ronaldo etc. Xavi's interviews are good because of his confidence and because he talks freely. But once you get past a certain amount of info, they just repeat themselves.

I can't stand to listen to Zlatan, Mourinho or Cristiano because most of the times I find their statements ridiculous and I only manage to get angry. I really enjoyed their Crackovia versions some time ago though.

footyfan

Calma, calma
I can't stand to listen to Zlatan, Mourinho or Cristiano because most of the times I find their statements ridiculous and I only manage to get angry. I really enjoyed their Crackovia versions some time ago though.

Ahh yes that can happen if you take them seriously. I stopped doing that a very long time ago.

Horatio

You're welcome
Ahh yes that can happen if you take them seriously. I stopped doing that a very long time ago.

I agree with you that Cristiano's, Zlatan, Mourinho interviews are overall more interesting.
But Messi's interviews are equally enjoyable as well because the guy never deviates from his politically correct posture which is hilarious to me.
You always want him to break at some point. By this point it feels as though Messi realizes this and is just trolling lol.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
img_fmarchi_20151113-154331_imagenes_md_otras_fuentes_cristiano1-118-kThC--572x569@MundoDeportivo-Web.JPG

img_fmarchi_20151113-154331_imagenes_md_otras_fuentes_cristiano2-kThC--572x570@MundoDeportivo-Web.JPG

:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

AnnieSureshot

I think insecurity lies in the motive. You can get out of a situation because it becomes tiring and there is need for a change, or it is still not a pleasant situation for you.
If you want to achieve for the sole reason of proving yourself to others...then maybe that will point into the direction of insecurity.

I agree with you on this, however I see more motives to do things than that. The freedom and security that money brings. The need to test your limits. The feeling that you should be "doing something with your life" that your parents drilled in you since you were a toddler (I got that one too!). And even a lot of the people that do it to impress others may not want the admiration because they feel insecure about themselves and need a boost, but just because it's a nice feeling to be admired.

You say "Like what can you fail at? Putting breakfast in your mouth?" almost making it sound simple, but I have a lot more respect for the Argentinian hippies whom I met on my travels that make their money from baking and selling cupcakes and then continue their travels truly happy with their lifestyle than some people that have for example monetary success.

Simple life made me think more of people who work 9-5 in low paid jobs, doing same things most days as their financial situation doesn't allow them to much (like travelling etc.) It can be a life of struggle but I wouldn't call it a challenge. The Argentinian hippies look like they have a pretty interesting life, tho!

You're right, I shouldn't be projecting my feelings onto the situation as well. But their have been numerous tells with Ronaldo, I don't base it on one incident.
I don't care honestly if the guy is insecure or not, I actually wish the guy the best. But my arguments are just based on what I see and behaviour I recognize in the people around me and myself. To me personally it just looks that way. I could always be wrong.

And shoutout to them hippies.

I find him actually quite interesting (although not particularly likeable) - this is why I watched the documentary. I find it hard to figure out what's inside of his head really, he sometimes gives very mixed signals. He's quite peculiar in his thinking and his life situation is very far removed from what us, "mere mortals" go through every day. That's why I believe it'd be hard for us to judge him well. Anyway, insecure or not, I still think he's a bit of a douche :)

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
My god, he changes his mind more than a girl in front of her closet on a saturday night! :lol:

Home of Barca Fans