Daniel Alves

LaMessiah

with the 2 hard workers Sanchez and Pedro on the flanks I guess. Alves has to adapt to a new static role without crossing the midfield line then (like in the second half yesterday) and the Messi-Alves partnership will be inherited by the Messi-Cesc partnership.
well said, definitely agreed about him having to be more static. we saw it in the super copa against madrid, he was all over ronaldo.

B

barcelonista

Exactly, thats why I am not too scared of Athletico because I think Pep will get the tactics right this time...

His tactics were quiet ok from to beginning to be honest. In fact, he didn't change them in the second half. He only changed the personnel.

1. half:

Front tree: Pedro-Messi-Alves
Midfield diamond of: Keita-Cesc-Xavi-Busquets
LB: Abidal
CB: Puyol
RB: Mascherano

The bold part is what didn't work at all. Pep thought Mascherano with his great defensive abilities could cover our right flank. That failed. Mascherano is no right back and Puyol is having his first real test after over 6 months.

2. half:

Front tree: Villa-Messi-Adriano
Midfield diamond of: Thiago-Cesc-Xavi-Busquets
LB: Abidal
CB: Mascherano
RB: Alves

Now Alves-Adriano DID work. The formation was the same. Only different personnel.

I'm also quiet glad Pep is trying things out against stronger opponents. Only then weaknesses will reveal and we can fix them / tweak things as soon as possible. Going 3-4-3 against Valencia at the Mestalla (and not going back to 4-3-3 even in the second half when down to a goal) also means 3-4-3 is going to be permanent. Pep isn't trying things out just for fun. With Pique, Iniesta and Sanchez back and a little bit more tweaking, this formation will be lethal. :cool:

Last edited:

desoe

Poor Alves.. a whole halftime without attacking :(

What thing that Pep could do to him could be worse than this? :lol:

gingerless

lol i thought he wasn't on the pitch half the game.

only because i'm so used to seeing him charging up that right flank though, by no means did he have a bad game. just a different one

X

xaviniesta

dani has been such a beast this season especially in defensivly. he recovered most balls yesterday - 12. i really really love his attitude. he played in defence yesterday and he did excactly what the coach said to him.
villa: “I remember reading Dani Alves said he would jump out of the window if Guardiola asked."

B

barcelonista

Well, just as I said. In a 3-4-3 Dani just has to be more static and stay back and we won't have any problems in defense. Well done yesterday.

Home of Barca Fans