Daniel Alves

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Played pretty high up the pitch, almost as a right winger and was very fundamental in the win, IMO...That width made the difference, along with Leo & Iniesta

hellsangel1

His crossing was a little poor but it's not easy crossing in a side like Barcelona because you're generally crossing to pretty small players. He actually looked one of our better defenders out there today I felt, he did more than a decent job of covering back.. It was Masch, Alba and Pique that looked much more jittery.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
The only weakness this guy has (appart from actually being a pretty poor dribbler) is that he can't be everywhere at the same time anymore. He's still incredible both in attack and defense when he's there.

And he seems just as popular as Pinto. He deserves to retire here if he wants to, I think.

BerkeleyBernie

Excellent game. Love his crosses.

Yeeesh! Dani's a great player, and works the ball well on the ground in triangles on the right, but his crosses are wasteful the majority of the time. I just rewatched the first half, and nearly every cross was off the mark. Most of the time, it doesn't even look like he has a target, his trajectories are so off.

If Dani could hit accurate crosses like a proper winger, and if he had a consistent sharp outside shot, Barça's right side attack would be even more deadly (and give more room to the attackers in the middle). Given Barça's lack of height, crossing accuracy becomes even more important. Just throwing a ball in the box aimlessly doesn't accomplish much.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Dani used to be better with his crosses but it didn't make his performance any less important since it gave the team width & shape to open up space for the rest of the team - namely Leo...He was a key contributor last night

BerkeleyBernie

Dani used to be better with his crosses but it didn't make his performance any less important since it gave the team width & shape to open up space for the rest of the team - namely Leo...He was a key contributor last night

I agree, and Messi loves to work with Alves (something that has been missing when Messi moved from the right side to center). With Messi moved back towards the right, they can work triangles again, which both love to do.

Alik

Yeeesh! Dani's a great player, and works the ball well on the ground in triangles on the right, but his crosses are wasteful the majority of the time. I just rewatched the first half, and nearly every cross was off the mark. Most of the time, it doesn't even look like he has a target, his trajectories are so off.

If Dani could hit accurate crosses like a proper winger, and if he had a consistent sharp outside shot, Barça's right side attack would be even more deadly (and give more room to the attackers in the middle). Given Barça's lack of height, crossing accuracy becomes even more important. Just throwing a ball in the box aimlessly doesn't accomplish much.

I agree, his crosses didn't reach the mark. Yet I feel they create dangerous moments for the oppositions defense even when they are not pinpoint. Basically, I prefer a more direct approach than simply passing the ball back. I feel that those times that the ball does reach the player it results in a nearly guaranteed goal. Especially the low crosses.

Irish_Cules

The only weakness this guy has (appart from actually being a pretty poor dribbler) is that he can't be everywhere at the same time anymore. He's still incredible both in attack and defense when he's there.

And he seems just as popular as Pinto. He deserves to retire here if he wants to, I think.

I agree. He's a great guy to have around the dressing room and he gives it his all every time he plays.

BerkeleyBernie

I agree, his crosses didn't reach the mark. Yet I feel they create dangerous moments for the oppositions defense even when they are not pinpoint. Basically, I prefer a more direct approach than simply passing the ball back. I feel that those times that the ball does reach the player it results in a nearly guaranteed goal. Especially the low crosses.

Yes, his cutbacks on the ground are very good, as a rule. It's his aerial passing accuracy that is lacking.

Stric

Regardless of the rest of his performance, I don't think he put in a single useful cross in there yesterday. I can get why some other elements of his playing are applauded, but crossing...?

Home of Barca Fans