Daniel Alves

Xavinho

€35 million for a defender, 8 years ago...And he became instrumental in changing the fortunes of the club...Time to make at least that sort of investment/commitment for a central defender that is hopefully near Dani's quality

It wasn't that long ago. We only signed Dani in 2008. I would have liked to sign him earlier though. Always thought we should have gone for him instead of Zambrotta

serghei

There is a serious lack of great RBs in Europe at the moment. We'd better keep Dani, because there is no one close to his level we could buy if he leaves Barca. Some here praised Zabaleta and argued he is better than Alves. I guess we all saw who the better player is.

Kohe321

She hot for sure, good to see him scoring on and off the pitch.

Also, I think it would be a big mistake to sell him this summer. Not only is there the problem of finding any replacement which would be an upgade, but I also get the feeling Alves is crucial to the chemistry of the group, and a big part of Neymars integration to the team. Sure, that alone wouldn't be reason to keep him. The fact is though, that he has shown (allbeit sporadically) that he still is capable of a very high level of play, it's just a shame he only seems to switch into gear in the big matches. He has been so careless and unfocused in so many of the smaller league-games this season. Still, I can't think of any other RB playing at the level he has been recently...

So yeah, I'd keep Alves. The more pressing question should be if Montoya is good enough to start taking over more and more, because if not, we're going to get to a place down the line where we need to buy two RBs...

F

FCBblaug

Also, I think it would be a big mistake to sell him this summer. Not only is there the problem of finding any replacement which would be an upgade, but I also get the feeling Alves is crucial to the chemistry of the group, and a big part of Neymars integration to the team. Sure, that alone wouldn't be reason to keep him. The fact is though, that he has shown (allbeit sporadically) that he still is capable of a very high level of play, it's just a shame he only seems to switch into gear in the big matches. He has been so careless and unfocused in so many of the smaller league-games this season. Still, I can't think of any other RB playing at the level he has been recently...

So yeah, I'd keep Alves. The more pressing question should be if Montoya is good enough to start taking over more and more, because if not, we're going to get to a place down the line where we need to buy two RBs...

selling alves and signing danilo as replacement would be one of the best decisions we ever made!

Xavinho

Also, I think it would be a big mistake to sell him this summer. Not only is there the problem of finding any replacement which would be an upgade, but I also get the feeling Alves is crucial to the chemistry of the group, and a big part of Neymars integration to the team.

I don't think it's necessarily a case of finding someone who is an immediate upgrade. Alves is one of the best right backs ever and players like him don't come along every day. Personally, I think he still has a lot to offer and I hope he stays, but the fact is he'll be 31 at the end of the season with one year left on his contract. If we want to get good money for him it'll be our last chance.
I want us to avoid a situation a couple of years down the track where clubs know we are desperate to bring in a replacement. If we can find someone with potential to grow into the player we need then this summer may be the time to act. If not, then as I said I think Alves will be fine for the next season or two. We just have to be careful to avoid a repeat of our current CB problems.

CatalinR10

Alves: "I see myself staying until the end of my contract. But if one of both parties isn't happy, there'd be no reason to continue." [golt]

If not, then as I said I think Alves will be fine for the next season or two. We just have to be careful to avoid a repeat of our current CB problems.

get cuadrado, let him play with alves (learn from him) and then he can take over in 15.
Alves then can go somewhere to pick up a last few bags with money

Home of Barca Fans