David Luiz

XaviMessiGirl

Dunno why my url is not showing up properly.

Links to that site are blocked because more often than not their "news" is unreliable. Would also be appreciated not to quote things found in articles from there either, try to use a more credible source instead.

Theconomist

Links to that site are blocked because more often than not their "news" is unreliable. Would also be appreciated not to quote things found in articles from there either, try to use a more credible source instead.

It's very arbitrary, they very rarely have sourceless articles anymore and frankly they've been spot on more than once these past couple of seasons.
We allow the sun, the daily mirror...

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
With the announcement of Puyol's retirement it seems you guys are after Luiz again, with something like a 30m euro opening bid. Reports claim you're going to try do it before the World Cup since he might pull of some good performances there which would lead to a price hike. If Mourinho is smart and wants to sell, he'll do it afterward.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
With the announcement of Puyol's retirement it seems you guys are after Luiz again, with something like a 30m euro opening bid. Reports claim you're going to try do it before the World Cup since he might pull of some good performances there which would lead to a price hike. If Mourinho is smart and wants to sell, he'll do it afterward.

PSG want him as well. Hope they get him.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Would love to see him playing at Barca, although I don't believe that Mou will let him go, he is only selling players who are useless to him, like Mata who was sitting on bench for half season and only then was sold to United.

Last edited:

dlx3

Would love to see him playing at Barca, although I don't believe that Mou will let him go, he is only selling players who are useless to him, like Mata who was sitting on bench for half season and only then was sold to United.

Luiz played less than 700 minutes as a CB this season for Chelsea. Basicaly he is a third choice CB and third choice DM.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Luiz has had a few knocks as far as I can remember. That, and Mourinho is the type to drop players for bad form, other than some of his favourites, which Luiz is not one of. He's not disciplined enough to be a favourite. I love Luiz but Terry being selected over him this season has been completely justified, as much as I hate the prick.

Howes

A bid for Luiz is a certainty, I hope it's not too much though, anything over £20mil seems too much

i_bleed_blaugrana

Entertainment for the opposition... it'd be a nightmare for cules.

I rarely disagree with you Flavia, but I do here.

Since discussions of this nature are inherent with speculation, do you really see it as impossible for him to be a success at Barca? So just hear me out and tell me if what I speculate is at least reasonably feasible, if you disagree, feel free to respond as to why you view things differently:

I've said it many times before and I'll repeat it now: the biggest parts people gripe about with Luiz is his "boneheaded" mental lapses, his suspect defensive positioning at times, etc. I think have more to do with Chelsea than his deficiencies as a player. His performances with Brazil are much better overall than they are with Chelsea and in my opinion, its because Brazil plays to his strengths more. Brazil play a much more dynamic, higher tempo, attacking style of football than Chelsea do and particularly lately, they have been featuring intense pressing from the front backed by an aggressive back 4, playing with a high line. Most of the time you see Luiz make an error at Chelsea, its either when a) he breaks the deep line by pressing the player on the ball or b) he loses his marker after a long lapse without the ball. With Brazil in the Confed. Cup, he looked so much better because he was playing a style that suited his attributes.

"But David Luiz just looks good with Brazil because he has Thiago Silva next to him..."

Thiago Silva and Pique almost play identically. I think Pique would adapt his game very nicely actually to complement Luiz. Pique's biggest problem is complacency, in the past he has shown at times to be too lax and laidback, although Tata has improved this element of his game lately. Luiz's problem is the opposite, he is at times too exuberant in how he plays and reckless. But its because of their dynamics that I think they will balance each other out nicely. Luiz being the "hot" one, pressing and attacking the ball, battling and tackling forwards head-on with Pique being the "cold" one, putting out fires, observing, reading and organizing the back, intercepting final balls and cleaning up messes.

I see why people have their reservations on Luiz due to what he has showed at Chelsea over his time there, but I think a lot of people will be surprised at how comfortable he will look here if he comes. Our style of football is what a player with his traits should be playing, not the uninspiring, reactive, scared football Mou is shoving down his throat now.

Now based on that strand of logic, wouldn't Luiz at least be a little better than "a nightmare for cules..."?

While I won't say there aren't other viable options in the market, regardless of who we buy, Pique is going to need to step up and become the leader of that defense. With Valdes and Puyol gone, someone is going to need to be the organizer and voice of authority and since he is now the most senior defender on the team, it his high time he becomes the leader we need him to be. I hope he has picked up enough from Puyi on what it takes to be the captain of Barcelona, and hopefully he can feel comfortable now to truly step into a leadership role on the team now that his mentor has moved on.

Home of Barca Fans