David Villa

F

Flavia

It's not that Tito is pushing him out deliberately. Claiming that would be nonsense. It's "just" shitty man management. Football is as much about confidence and psychology as it is about talent. At the beginning of the season Villa was all smiles, backheel passes and cocky celebrations. He scored with every shot on goal. His body language was looking like he was eager to score 30 goals this season and prove a point after his leg break. Since then he's been constantly left out from the first team for whatever reasons until his body language turned into shit recently. I can guarantee you that even Messi would start to perform weirdly if he only played some fringe minutes here and there alongside B players like Rafinha, Song, Tello, Planas in meaningless "already qualified" CL games. It's not a conspiracy against Villa. I'm sure Tito is just trying to integrate Fabregas into the team (who will be here for a much longer time than Villa) and giving Alexis some minutes to regain form as soon as possible after his injury (who will probably stay here for a much longer time as well). But it still remains shitty man management and Villa's body language is evidence for that. Now all of a sudden Villa is in a position where he feels pressure to prove himself (which is completely unnecessary, he was already doing fine) alongside the B team. Once these things get into a player's head he'll start to overdo things, try to impress deliberately, produce awkward misses etc.

The coaching staff of Barcelona is just terrible in dealing with non Masia players. Which is why I'm really curious to see how Pep will do with his next team.
That could be the reason, and all you wrote makes sense, except the part where alexis will stay in Barça for longer than Villa. I really cannot see that.

M

Malappapper

I think Tito was a bit afraid of using Villa today because of the fact that we had to make 2 early obligatory changes to Cesc and Puyol and he could not risk throwing in any further forwards. He preferred ALexis because he is much younger and energetic than Villa, which is what we needed against a hard-working Betis. Villa will soon get his minutes.

Richard.H

I think it will be best for him if he leaves the club and goes somewhere where he can get regular playing time. It's a bit disrespectful for a player of Villa's class to be benched so much, unless there's an underlying cause for it like with the Ibra case.

Yes, this is the same player that won us games in the beginning of the season and is the major reason why we have such a big lead in La Liga.

I really hope this is just a big plan by Tito where he's trying to keep Villa fresh for the second half of the season. Otherwise, I want Villa to do what's best for him since he has given his all for Barca.

Last edited:

Vapor

It's not that Tito is pushing him out deliberately. Claiming that would be nonsense. It's "just" shitty man management. Football is as much about confidence and psychology as it is about talent. At the beginning of the season Villa was all smiles, backheel passes and cocky celebrations. He scored with every shot on goal. His body language was looking like he was eager to score 30 goals this season and prove a point after his leg break. Since then he's been constantly left out from the first team for whatever reasons until his body language turned into shit recently. I can guarantee you that even Messi would start to perform weirdly if he only played some fringe minutes here and there alongside B players like Rafinha, Song, Tello, Planas in meaningless "already qualified" CL games. It's not a conspiracy against Villa. I'm sure Tito is just trying to integrate Fabregas into the team (who will be here for a much longer time than Villa) and giving Alexis some minutes to regain form as soon as possible after his injury (who will probably stay here for a much longer time as well). But it still remains shitty man management and Villa's body language is evidence for that. Now all of a sudden Villa is in a position where he feels pressure to prove himself (which is completely unnecessary, he was already doing fine) alongside the B team. Once these things get into a player's head he'll start to overdo things, try to impress deliberately, produce awkward misses etc.

The coaching staff of Barcelona is just terrible in dealing with non Masia players. Which is why I'm really curious to see how Pep will do with his next team.
Well said man I agree. I don't think this was handled optimally by the coaching staff. OF course they're just doing their best, trying to integrate Fabregas etc... but this intentional or unintentional benching of Villa right when he was looking to explode back into his best-ever form seems very shortsighted. I doubt it's a conspiracy at all... just that perhaps Villanova is underestimating the impact his non-playing of Villa could have on him, and perhaps really does underestimate the value of Villa (though I still doubt this).

Hopefully, with Fabregas now injured for a few weeks, he will show some real faith and start Villa for a few games CONSECUTIVELY. Start him both for Cordoba and Atletico... and a few games after that. Villanova is probably STILL trying to integrate Alexis, but seriously, Villa is a MUCH more promising prospect. Bench Alexis and ONLY play Villa on the left + Pedro/Cuenca/Tello/Alexis on the right.

But let Villa have a few solid games at the left to get that beginning of the season form back and PROVE that he is an invaluable asset up front when it comes to producing goals and winning games - when he's on form. A big part of that being on form is his own confidence, of which Villanova's confidence in him is of big importance. (Notice how Villanova's faith and confidence and in Fabregas impacted HIS form) Tito needs to show trust and faith in Villa and really give him the time.

Last edited:

footyfan

Calma, calma
The situation with Villa is so reminiscent of the one with Kaka at Madrid in all aspects.

Superstar player coming back from long-term injury.
Warms bench most of the time.
A younger, more hard-working player is preferred.
However, plays well whenever given time.
Conspiracy about (manager) hates (player)

J

jtmx12

You're claiming players "can't be benched" because they're young and/or from La Masia, even though they might be worse choice for the team. Then what's your explanation for Mascherano playing so much, instead of Bartra? Mascherano is obviously the better CB of the two, he is older and Argentine. Kind of like Villa in relation to Tello, Pedro or whoever. How come he gets all the minutes over Bartra? Or Adriano instead of Alba/Montoya? Adriano is Brazilian, and much older than the other two. Yet he's played numerous times this season, also in very important games. Or even Song?

You really can't compare Villa vs Pedro/Cesc (these guys cost like 60m each one) against Mascherano (40) vs Bartra(5). Tito loves canterano players, but you and everyone have seen our defense lately, it's CRAP. Imagine Tito saying "well, let's force Bartra in to the team as we did with Cesc, let's make our defense worse, and if it doesn't works we just lost La Liga". He can't do that, because Bartra needs to get used to play in Primera before he can get as many minutes as Pedro or Cesc.

raedkuwait

as far as i see it, tito has something against villa, he will mostly play him when he plays pinto, and that is in
Cup game and meaningless game, for sure villa will not stand for this, and he should be leaving sooner rather than
later.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Can't believe some guys here. Some are definitely only concerned about Villa and care little or nothing about Barca.
Can't imagine what would it be like if we drew or lost in Seville.

BigBarcaBoy

I'd like him to get a run in the team with Cesc injured as the burden on Messi needs to be eased with Pedro and Alexis struggling at the moment. We need to appreciate him more.

sabby

I am sure Villa wouldn't leave in the winter. And whoever thinks that Villa will be sold in the summer should wait for the 2nd half of this season. I think he will play many matches in UCL and liga from Jan-Feb. If not, then I will agree that Villa will leave.

M

Malappapper

Have patience my children. Villa will get his chances, and he will either justify his place in the team, or justify his exodus in the summer.

hellsangel1

I hope Villa doesn't leave this January. He's the only other natural goal-scorer that we have in this team apart from Messi. If Messi goes down injured or is suspended, we really won't have anyone to take his spot.

Villa should've played more minutes this season but the harsh reality is that he just isn't effective down the wings. That's just not his natural position, the same as the case was with Zlatan. Whenever the ball touches his feet now, the play slows down, he isn't a good enough passer like Pedro is, who doesn't 'break-up' the normal flow of the game when he gets the ball. At the moment, I don't see Villa being successful at barca if he has to play wide (barring the odd game), I only see him being effective in a central role and we all know who occupies that.

J

jtmx12

Have patience my children. Villa will get his chances, and he will either justify his place in the team, or justify his exodus in the summer.
It's been a year since he was injured (Dec 15) and a few months since he recovered from that. I'm pretty sure Villa's patience is over and for me he doesn't need to justify anything at all right now. He already did trying to make an awesome come back, but Tito constantly fcked up his progress benching him every single time for every tiny reason. Even when he played great the next game he would be benched anyways. If Villa plays bad from now on that's because he is tired of working hard without getting any respect from Tito and I hope he ends up leaving.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans