David Villa

Scottro

Villa playing the entire last game was pretty much a direct implication that he won't be playing at all tonight. I had a feeling this would happen. Thiago for Cesc with only la few minutes to go, 1:1 on the scoreboard? And Villa on the bench? How exactly does that help the team? Terrible, terrible decisions from our coaching staff.[/QUOT

The scary thing is that Barca is good enough to sit the better player on the bench against 9 of 10 opponents they play and get a win anyway. Now we have a formitable opponent and get burned. Without playing time Villa will not be at his sharpest coming into champions league or the second leg against madrid and could go down unnessesarily. I am more conviced that Villa sitting out is related to the tension with messi. Nothing else makes sense.

Cule4life

The Culest
The ideas of all this being a "master plan" to "save" Villa for the UCL and return Leg is laughable to me. The whole season Villa hasn't been trusted in important matches at all, not even substitute appearances. I wont be surprised if he's demoralized right now and has already made plans to leave in the summer. Accommodating the prodigal son Cesc into the first team in every match (regardless of the opposing team's tactics) has rung his death knell from the first team and preferring Alexis has even reduced his substitute minutes this season (for God knows what reason though thankfully it has stopped now as he's played on the right side now) Yet there still is a master plan when all this would make sense, everything would suddenly fall into peace and he would score a winner in UCL semi final/final. That's taking optimism too far. I for myself have stopped wondering whether Villa would get some minutes in a match or not. I by default assume he will be benched and any minutes he gets is a bonus to me and I'm right every time.

Last edited:

Pepe Silvia

i'm just as confused as the rest of you. when i saw alexis warming up i wasn't happy about it, and thought to myself, 'we need GOALS not pressure'. alexis did open up space though so kudos to him for playing strong(ish) today, but we needed a goal scoring threat aka david villa. i would have even been happy with tello. once i saw thiago, i was happy for the goal scoring prowess that he has, but even then he's a midfielder who can score not a forward. not quite the answer in that scenario.

raedkuwait

The ideas of all this being a "master plan" to "save" Villa for the UCL and return Leg is laughable to me. The whole season Villa hasn't been trusted in important matches at all, not even substitute appearances. I wont be surprised if he's demoralized right now and has already made plans to leave in the summer. Accommodating the prodigal son Cesc into the first team in every match (regardless of the opposing team's tactics) has rung his death knell from the first team and preferring Alexis has even reduced his substitute minutes this season (for God knows what reason though thankfully it has stopped now as he's played on the right side now) Yet there still is a master plan when all this would make sense, everything would suddenly fall into peace and he would score a winner in UCL semi final/final. That's taking optimism too far. I for myself have stopped wondering whether Villa would get some minutes in a match or not. I by default assume he will be benched and any minutes he gets is a bonus to me and I'm right every time.

++1
there is no master plan, no resting for a return leg which is around 3 weeks away! and playing a midfield player like iniesta or Cesc as an attaker will just not win us vital matches
like in CL that why i am sure we will not win Cl this year if we dont start to change this iniesta cesc line up and start playing Villa as a true goal scoring threat.

xsever

Seriously, after yesterday, if I were Villa, I would ask for a transfer. I respect the coaches' decisions, but this was beyond offending and rude! Since when are Alexis and Thiago picked over Villa? Are you kidding me?

The guy was #1 in the Liga before Messi started shining and he has proven to be very effective this year when played.

What are we keeping him for and paying him this salary? So that he trains and sits on the bench? We needed him badly yesterday against Real and we played Alexis and Thiago instead and saw the results!

I am so mad at these decisions. Like are you kidding me? That's just like sitting Messi on the bench while we are losing a game.

IMO, we should consistently sub Villa on, mainly for Fabregas. We shouldn't start him, at least not yet, since the current starting lineup has worked so well so far.

Y

Youngie

Why always "sub for Fabregas"?

BTW: I have no problem with Villa starting/rotating with Cesc/Iniesta/Pedro. Obviously the management have some problem though. Not that I blame them. This is a record breaking season after all.

Villa is not the player he once was though IMO.

Cule4life

The Culest
Or Cesc in midfield and Villa on the wing.

Or Iniesta in the midfield and Villa on the wing. It's not a crime to bench Cesc against teams with high pressing. Cesc can't tiki taka against these teams. Its not a coincidence that we stopped dominating Madrid when MVP was gone

Y

Youngie

Or Iniesta in the midfield and Villa on the wing. It's not a crime to bench Cesc against teams with high pressing. Cesc can't tiki taka against these teams. Its not a coincidence that we stopped dominating Madrid when MVP was gone

Perhaps. However we can agree that of MVP Pedro and Villa are not the players they once were.

Home of Barca Fans