David Villa

Y

Youngie

But that's the thing..he doesn't need to play the whole 90 minutes. Why not bring him on in the 60th minute for pedro. Who knows if he was in the 1 on 1 situation he might've been able to finish it off.

I agree. But people here are saying "start him in every game".

Cule4life

The Culest
What was the logic of getting Thiago on for Cesc when we needed to kill off the game? The coaches are supposed to know better than us but in this case they were dead wrong. If Villa is only gonna be used in useless matches why not sell him and promote a youngster like Tello. I suspect that is because they need Villa when Barca's ass is on fire like in the Sevilla game. Only then he can get minutes in an important match, otherwise he will hug the bench.
I really hope he goes to Arsenal and salvages his career. Then Barca mngt will realize his value and see that it was mistake to treat him like this

Darko

what we needed was a goal threat out wide,the space on the flanks was huuuuuge,he would have raped them
maybe we need to revert to the 4-3-3 with MVP,because the midfield is now too crowded and teams can just leave space on the flanks knowing that we pose a very small threat on the wings,at times Pedro was alone in attack with Messi and Iniesta dropping deep,so when he got the ball he was isolated and facing a four man backline
and Sanchez instead of him was just horrible,Villa has done nothing wrong for the whole season,quite the opposite he has managed to score,assist and play some great football despite the little game time he was given,I want MVP back :(

N

Noldorin

Yeah. Villa need not be started every game. There are plenty of good arguments against that. He *should* however be used as a power sub in place of Cesc or Pedro. That needs to happen much more.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Such disrespect for this amazing man. He really should leave.

You should understand one thing. Respect comes for the club and the coach first. If you think that Tito and Roura are "disrespecting" Villa, or any player for that matter, for not playing him then you think very little of our coaches.
They might have different views than yours but don't talk nonsense about "disrespect".

Having said that, I felt there was room for Villa to feature. We missed some great opportunities and clinical striker such as Villa could have helped a lot.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
You should understand one thing. Respect comes for the club and the coach first. If you think that Tito and Roura are "disrespecting" Villa, or any player for that matter, for not playing him then you think very little of our coaches.
They might have different views than yours but don't talk nonsense about "disrespect".

Having said that, I felt there was room for Villa to feature. We missed some great opportunities and clinical striker such as Villa could have helped a lot.

Post of the day! :worthy:

N

Noldorin

Even Del Bosque is confused why Villa has been getting so little time. And this guy has authority to speak. More than Vilanova even, I'd say!

Richard.H

There are a few possible speculations as to why Villa is not playing. I was also frustrated like most of you but a few explanations I could come up with are:

- He really is injured and the coaching staff knows something about this that the media doesn't
-One thing that Alexis has over Villa is workrate. Alexis has excellent workrate and tracks back very fast and pressures opponents nonstop. The staff probably values this a lot and holds this trait in players in very high regard
- Fabregas's form has been keeping Villa from starting matches. Although, Villa can still definitely come in as a sub
- Last and least likely option is that Tito promised to keep him fresh for the UCL/big matches later on in the season. He's probably very worried that we may run into the same problems as we did last year (over-reliance on Messi, etc) so he wants to keep a goalscorer fresh on the bench

Just my thoughts.

Cule4life

The Culest
^How can u expect him to ride the bench, then suddenly turn up in UCL matches and start scoring left and right? A player needs regular minutes to get into rhythm.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
What I would love (possibly even more than Villa getting playing time) is for the club to release a statement from the club explaining the tactics of this; really doubt it'll happen, but that would be great.

- Last and least likely option is that Tito promised to keep him fresh for the UCL/big matches later on in the season. He's probably very worried that we may run into the same problems as we did last year (over-reliance on Messi, etc) so he wants to keep a goalscorer fresh on the bench

This seems like the most likely reason to me; the question is how much rest does he need to stay fresh and how much time does he need to play so he doesn't get rusty?

Vapor

I think one possible explanation could be that they were resting him for the return leg. The more I think about it the more I really think that is what's happening. Roura or someone did say "We knew this was going to be decided in the 2nd leg."

Perhaps they have a whole different tactic for Madrid at home involving Villa and they didn't want to give it away by playing Villa late in this game, and perhaps the team is putting most of its eggs in the home leg basket. Not to mention we pretty much beat Madrid 3-1 as it was today even without Villa had we converted those 2 easy chances.

I still think Villa should have played, but if this theory turns out to be true, and Villa ends up knocking back one or 2 against Madrid we would all be apologizing and praising Villa and the staff blahblahblah.

I don't know, we'll have to wait and see what happens. Maybe the coaches knew that Villa just played a full 90 min game and they want him to have full rest for the grand finale at Madrid at home, on our own ground where Barca will probably give it 100%. Only explanation that makes sense to me. If Villa doesn't play the next leg I will be truly floored.

Last edited:

Scottro

I did the math to determine the scoring rates (per minute) of the 3 primary forwards. This is what it works out to in terms of minutes played per goal: Villa 111, Sanchez 439, Pedro 419, so Villa is scoring at a rate approx 4 times higher than the other forwards that both have much more playing time. I understand that there is more to being a forward than scoring, but come on. Are they going to give us 72% ball possesion vs 70% when Villa is in and that is worth reducing scoring from that position to 25% of what Villa is producing. I cannot imagine that being the case.

The lineup against Madrid should have been Villa, Messi, Pedro with Inesta back at midfield with Xavi controlling play allowing Messi to play further up the pitch instead of as a midfielder half the time.

I imagine this game is really going to deflate Villa, I imagine he will push for an exit from Barca. I certainly would since this hurts his changes with the national team which means the world to Villa. Its a sad state of affairs IMO.

Home of Barca Fans