Defender for next season?

Z

ZiZu

Why would you want Mascherano back in midfield, when he's a fantastic CB?

Agreed , I'd get David Luiz in a try and send David Villa in the opposite direction . He said he wanted to play in England do nows the ideal time . He had a very poor start to the season and now after such a bad injury he's hardly likely to be anywhere near as good as he was ..

perica

Agreed , I'd get David Luiz in a try and send David Villa in the opposite direction . He said he wanted to play in England do nows the ideal time . He had a very poor start to the season and now after such a bad injury he's hardly likely to be anywhere near as good as he was ..
I agree with your oppinion...luiz would be great

i_bleed_blaugrana

I totally agree with buying Luiz, I think he would be the perfect replacement for Puyol in two to three years time and would fill in really well as an active sub for Pique and/or Puyol meanwhile. He is great in the air, has fantastic technique, can play as either CB or LB and is a great passer of the ball. Although he is prone to defensive and mental lapses, I think that is something that can be ironed out of his game through good coaching and as he gets older and matures, those problems will eventually fade.

However, I totally disagree with sending Villa in the other direction. First and foremost, Chelsea have enough strikers as it is. Why do they need Villa when they have Torres, Lukaku and Sturridge already, especially since they usually only play with one striker anyway? Secondly, the reason why Villa got off to a slow start by his standards is due to him playing out of position. He isn't and shouldn't be playing as a winger, he needs to be a Center Striker. I think if Spain have a good tournament during Euro, I think Villa will ride that momentum into next season and will be refreshed due to having a half season off. I think that if we buy Luiz and Alba this summer, that should be all we need to retake Spain and Europe next season.

Sidenote: Barcelona have won the Champions League in every following season when Spain win a major international tournament during the summer

Last edited:

Paulo Alcantara

Why searching for expensive old defenders when you can get Botia, Musacchio or Alvaro Dominguez for much less? Especially Botia (2.5mio) and Musacchio (Villarreal being relegated) are really cheap and are good prospects for the future

Theconomist

Vertonghen isn't good enough for Barcelona.
Realistically the only player that would bench Pique/Mascherano/Puyol is Thiago Silva.

Birdy

Can someone explain me the need for a top-class CB when we have pique-puyol-mascherano and as a reserve solution youngsters like Fontas, Bartra and players that can play the role when needed (Abidal - if well, Busi)

Thiago Silva? What for? Same style as pique and inferior. Pique-Silva together would be as good Busi - Pique was and there is also the money and the (un)healthy competition if you congest the defence..
Pique was not playing in the last important games, cauz pep selected puyol - masxherano, and he was not happy..
Look what happened to the Md this season.
Are we ever going to learn from our mistakes?
Or are we going to make strange tricks to fit 3 pure CBs, like iniesta on the wing to fit in cesc?

I really dont get the need for a CB..
Also i dont get the need for a CF.
I dont get any need.
The team has a full and complete squad. If everyone stays, only a LB is needed.
Nothing more
Strange decisions from Villanova.. Really strange..

SeloBarca

Sure Mascherano can play cb, and doest it quite good. But his reading of the game and whats going on behind him is quite poor, which has led to some fatal misstakes.
We need to start looking for a replacement for Puyol no matter how much we want puyol to play forever. Our youngsters arent experianced enough to just step in and take over.
However i dont want Silva either.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Can someone explain me the need for a top-class CB when we have pique-puyol-mascherano and as a reserve solution youngsters like Fontas, Bartra and players that can play the role when needed (Abidal - if well, Busi)

Thiago Silva? What for? Same style as pique and inferior. Pique-Silva together would be as good Busi - Pique was and there is also the money and the (un)healthy competition if you congest the defence..
Pique was not playing in the last important games, cauz pep selected puyol - masxherano, and he was not happy..
Or are we going to make strange tricks to fit 3 pure CBs, like iniesta on the wing to fit in cesc?

I dont get any need.
Nothing more

Its a move that we need to make in order to make Puyol's eventual and inevitable retirement unnoticeable. perhaps Botia can step up and fill in for Puyol eventually but he needs to have a lot of playing time in order for him to get to that level. meanwhile, you have to assume he will make a lot of mistakes in the meantime that could be costly. if we buy a CB, say David Luiz (who showed just how defensively sound he can be against Bayern tonight) or Thiago Silva (who I don't wont because he will cost a fortune) they can fill in for Puyol instantaneously and won't be costly to barca due to a lack of experience. Botia is a big gamble but could pay off huge for Barca while buying a world class CB is a safer but much more expensive option.

I agree that we don't need a new Striker either. I have voiced my opinion on that numerous times.

i_bleed_blaugrana

I dont get any need.
Nothing more

Its a move that we need to make in order to make Puyol's eventual and inevitable retirement unnoticeable. perhaps Botia can step up and fill in for Puyol eventually but he needs to have a lot of playing time in order for him to get to that level. meanwhile, you have to assume he will make a lot of mistakes in the meantime that could be costly. if we buy a CB, say David Luiz (who showed just how defensively sound he can be against Bayern tonight) or Thiago Silva (who I don't wont because he will cost a fortune) they can fill in for Puyol instantaneously and won't be costly to barca due to a lack of experience. Botia is a big gamble but could pay off huge for Barca while buying a world class CB is a safer but much more expensive option.

I agree that we don't need a new Striker either. I have voiced my opinion on that numerous times.

Home of Barca Fans